Marketing help! - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of Old 11-29-2014, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5
Marketing help!

Hello everyone. This is my first thread on this forum, as I am new here. =)

First let me start by saying, my company only cleans commercial properties. Elitecleanco.com <---Website

I have been in business for about 2 years. I am nowhere near where I want to be. I am just not great at the whole marketing thing. I need some advice please. I am aware the word of mouth is the best way to grow your business. That aside. What else? Here is what I am doing now.

1. I just started paying a company $275 a month to do some SEO for my company. But I would like to hire a different company. I don't really like them. Does anybody have any suggestions on a company who delivers results?

2. I just ordered 250 presentation folders from Vistaprint and plan to walk door to door and drop them off to the person at the front desk. Does anybody have any suggestions for this? I won't be putting in the leg work for this for about 2 weeks(It will be the dead of winter XD).

3. Google adwords. I thought this would bring in some quick calls for bids... but nope. I had one person call me for a bid last month. But I bid it too high(Like a fool). And did not get the contract. This used to work for me. But does not work at all anymore for some reason. Maybe the winter is a slow season?

I would appreciate any and all responses. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Elite Clean Co is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of Old 12-02-2014, 05:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 40
I believe the above mentioned 3 points are exactly which any business should do. I am very familiar with 1st and 3rd point, these two can provide some great fast results in long run. Social media and blogging is also important, so including them in the work area can be very helpful.
brainmoore is offline  
post #3 of Old 12-03-2014, 08:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 178
From what I understand, SEO takes time to build up. It's not something you get results for in a month or two. As for point #2, I would have done the same thing 3 years ago when I was just starting. Google adwords barely works these days because of adblockers so thats pretty much a waste of investment. I suggest you create a page in facebook, try to get as much people to like it and share it and start from there. Social media and blogging is pretty much the source of traffic for websites or businesses these days. To be honest 275 a month for SEO isnt much if you want to get better ranking in searches.
PD_Lape is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of Old 12-05-2014, 05:49 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 4
Send a message via Skype™ to perfectionmaideasy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Clean Co View Post
Hello everyone. This is my first thread on this forum, as I am new here. =)

First let me start by saying, my company only cleans commercial properties. Elitecleanco.com <---Website

I have been in business for about 2 years. I am nowhere near where I want to be. I am just not great at the whole marketing thing. I need some advice please. I am aware the word of mouth is the best way to grow your business. That aside. What else? Here is what I am doing now.

1. I just started paying a company $275 a month to do some SEO for my company. But I would like to hire a different company. I don't really like them. Does anybody have any suggestions on a company who delivers results?

2. I just ordered 250 presentation folders from Vistaprint and plan to walk door to door and drop them off to the person at the front desk. Does anybody have any suggestions for this? I won't be putting in the leg work for this for about 2 weeks(It will be the dead of winter XD).

3. Google adwords. I thought this would bring in some quick calls for bids... but nope. I had one person call me for a bid last month. But I bid it too high(Like a fool). And did not get the contract. This used to work for me. But does not work at all anymore for some reason. Maybe the winter is a slow season?

I would appreciate any and all responses. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Hey Elite,

I currently run a house cleaning service out in Orange County. I saw you were looking for another seo service because you didn't like the one you had? What didn't you like about them? Were they poor at communicating with you?

Here's the company that does my seo. I'm on a 5 keyword per month organic seo package with them and so far I love their work. Feel free to email them and check them out for yourself. Hope business is going well for you.

seoconquerproductions at gmail dot com
perfectionmaideasy is offline  
post #5 of Old 12-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Senior Member
 
sprintcar93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 961
If it was me, I'd scrap every idea you've had or have ever heard. There is 1 thing that will get you customers.... the phone. Do you know how the big boys do it? They have people on the phone. Along with a long line of connections but other than connections.... the phone is the only way to go. Set up an appointment... be on time, look good and when you go in to the office to sit down... take your hand and dust the seat of the chair off. Was it dirty? Who cares... act like it was. It's just a mind game to play with the decision maker. Don't give them too much mumbo-jumbo paper work to read... they have money to make. And at the end when you are walking out of their office... this way the business has ended and you can make it a little personal... if they have pictures of the kids or dog or what ever... say something like, I saw your pictures and noticed what a beautiful family you have. Now you've left them with something nice to think about as you leave. Remember... that comes as you are getting up to leave.
sprintcar93 is offline  
post #6 of Old 12-06-2014, 02:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 224
Good advice Sprintcar! I grew my business for the first 7 years without any internet presence or spending a penny on advertising. Getting out and handing out company information, setting appointments, honing your craft by being the best salesperson you can be when you are face to face with customers is the most important aspect to growing your business. Sitting around waiting for the phone to ring or for emails to come in offering business is a waste of time in commercial cleaning. Any of that type of added business is just a cherry on top!
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org

Last edited by jahra352; 12-06-2014 at 02:51 AM.
jahra352 is offline  
post #7 of Old 12-08-2014, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5
Sounds like a good idea. Do you have a script you could p.m. me to get me in the door? I'm good at face to face sales. I have never done the phone route. I would love help in this arena.
Elite Clean Co is offline  
post #8 of Old 12-08-2014, 02:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 54
Commercial cleaning marketing is all about being in the right place at the right time. Companies will only consider a new vendor when they have decided they don't like their current vendor. When that happens you need to be top of mind and in their face. That means building a presence with them. Build a target client list, find out who in the company makes the decision for hiring and firing. Get in contact with them and let them know you want their business, that you know they are happy with who they have, and that you want a chance if anything changes. Then get their permission to recontact them periodically for follow up. They will likely go to the Internet to research potential suppliers as well so make sure you are visible their as well.

Jim
Pacific Steam Co Bothell
www.pacificsteamco.com
pacificsteam is offline  
post #9 of Old 12-18-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 5
Thank you!
Elite Clean Co is offline  
post #10 of Old 12-28-2014, 10:15 AM
f&s
Junior Member
 
f&s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20
Good point!
f&s is offline  
post #11 of Old 12-30-2014, 03:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificsteam View Post
Commercial cleaning marketing is all about being in the right place at the right time. Companies will only consider a new vendor when they have decided they don't like their current vendor. When that happens you need to be top of mind and in their face. That means building a presence with them. Build a target client list, find out who in the company makes the decision for hiring and firing. Get in contact with them and let them know you want their business, that you know they are happy with who they have, and that you want a chance if anything changes. Then get their permission to recontact them periodically for follow up. They will likely go to the Internet to research potential suppliers as well so make sure you are visible their as well.
www.pacificsteamco.com
this is the most detailed and best idea shared here so far. I like this strategy and if I may add, It would be really good to do pro-bono small cleaning jobs for potential long term clients and see what happens. I've done this same thing and it worked like 60% of the time which I find very good and profitable. You just have to make sure you do everything as specified by the client and always give special attention to small details.
PD_Lape is offline  
post #12 of Old 02-11-2015, 04:23 AM
Junior Member
 
The Dusting Crew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4
I'm doing the opposite of what most people seem to do, starting off with just online marketing and then hitting the boots on the ground marketing after establishing my company.

I think it definitely takes a decent website and good SEO+PPC. I know design is a hard thing to nail, and SEO/PPC are skillsets in themselves, but they all come together to form a feasible marketing strategy.

Steve Cutri | The Dusting Crew
The Dusting Crew is offline  
post #13 of Old 02-12-2015, 12:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dusting Crew View Post
I'm doing the opposite of what most people seem to do, starting off with just online marketing and then hitting the boots on the ground marketing after establishing my company.

I think it definitely takes a decent website and good SEO+PPC. I know design is a hard thing to nail, and SEO/PPC are skillsets in themselves, but they all come together to form a feasible marketing strategy.
Haven't that in a while, how is that going for you anyways? I guess it depends on your skill set and budget. I personally recommend doing the ground work first before hitting the webs since it's a lot cost effective particularly for start-ups.

-Paul

__________________________________________________ _______________
Home Cleaning Service ND
Enjoy massive daily discounts on cleaning and office wholesale supplies @
www.northlandwholesale.com
PD_Lape is offline  
post #14 of Old 02-18-2015, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 111
Get out there and talk to people
Elite,if you are good at face to face.Then talk to anyone and everyone you come across.
Instead of leaving cards everywhere try to get the cards into peoples hands.

There are people looking for you.FIND THEM!

http://selz.co/1Eq7peH
Lorster is offline  
post #15 of Old 02-24-2015, 05:21 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20
If you want to invest in SEO unfortunately you'll need a higher budget than $250 otherwise you will never find a good SEO company/freelancer. For $1000 a month you could probably find a descent SEO agency that will cover your SEO basics (on page optimization, link building, local SEO strategy...).

Good Luck!
Thecleaningexpert is offline  
post #16 of Old 02-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 16
We use a company called webtechs dot net, sorry cant post links yet. They always kept us ranking high for incredibly hard keywords
ericd is offline  
post #17 of Old 03-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 35
As for the SEO part, don't even bother with it for a cleaning business. Posting elsewhere online, on local service websites, will get you noticed by potential clients that are searching for your services. What you need to focus on is building up a good online presense with amazing reviews to get people to want to hire you.
RealClean is offline  
post #18 of Old 03-26-2015, 06:47 PM
Senior Member
 
WesternJanitorSupply's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Paso Robles, CA
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
If it was me, I'd scrap every idea you've had or have ever heard. There is 1 thing that will get you customers.... the phone. Do you know how the big boys do it? They have people on the phone. Along with a long line of connections but other than connections.... the phone is the only way to go. Set up an appointment... be on time, look good and when you go in to the office to sit down... take your hand and dust the seat of the chair off. Was it dirty? Who cares... act like it was. It's just a mind game to play with the decision maker. Don't give them too much mumbo-jumbo paper work to read... they have money to make. And at the end when you are walking out of their office... this way the business has ended and you can make it a little personal... if they have pictures of the kids or dog or what ever... say something like, I saw your pictures and noticed what a beautiful family you have. Now you've left them with something nice to think about as you leave. Remember... that comes as you are getting up to leave.

Hahaha you are always so spot on sir! Love your statements/ opinions. Enjoyed ready this, thank you lol
WesternJanitorSupply is offline  
post #19 of Old 04-03-2015, 02:40 AM
Junior Member
 
The Dusting Crew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD_Lape View Post
Haven't that in a while, how is that going for you anyways? I guess it depends on your skill set and budget. I personally recommend doing the ground work first before hitting the webs since it's a lot cost effective particularly for start-ups.

-Paul
Sorry, a bit late in my response.

I find web marketing to be extremely cost effective. I didn't pay a cent to learn SEO or Adwords, and while SEO doesn't pay off for a startup due to the time investment needed, Adwords is a good way to drive instant, relevant traffic to your site.

It's all a numbers game in the end. People WILL book if your site is well-done.

However, I am not trying to state that boots on the ground marketing is not cost effective. It can be if you do it well. In fact, I think both strategies (online and traditional) are better in conjunction with each other. I mean let's be honest here, the cleaning market is tried and true.

On the topic of online marketing, it's all about branding to me. Although I would like to believe that offering my customers online booking, live chat, and multiple types of service options helps tickle their fancy, I already know that the visitor on my website is looking for one thing, and one thing only. A nice clean home. That's what they all want, and we all know it. It's like selling water. You need to make yours LOOK the best, even though we all know it's just water. If you can nail that much, Adwords is simply brilliant.

At the end of the day, the small time house cleaner charging $60 for a 4br3ba house likely does just as good a job as my cleaners, and I charge 3x that price + a $20 tip because my website has made my customer believe that my company and my cleaners are worth it before even setting foot in their home. There's a lot of different ways to bring your product to market - that's what I love about working in this industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealClean View Post
As for the SEO part, don't even bother with it for a cleaning business. Posting elsewhere online, on local service websites, will get you noticed by potential clients that are searching for your services. What you need to focus on is building up a good online presense with amazing reviews to get people to want to hire you.
This is ridiculous advice, unless you're purposefully trying to stunt your company's growth. You should no more ignore posting elsewhere online than you should ignore SEO. You get unique, qualified traffic from both sources. Why would you not utilize both if you had the capital?

Steve Cutri | The Dusting Crew
The Dusting Crew is offline  
post #20 of Old 04-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
 
sprintcar93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 961
Dusting Crew,
You are in a GREAT location. Location, location, location... you have some competition but not like the big city has. That is why it has worked for you. For those that live in an area such as yours.... plenty of people for potential customers yet not too big... can you tell them what you do and how much you spend a month?

While I have no clue what you spend, I know most people don't have a lot of money to spend and they all think it costs out the ying-yang to do what you do. And it does in a big city... but everyone doesn't live in a big city.

Since last November I know a guy in my area who has spent a LOT of money and while it has got him business, I don't really see the ROI for him. (His franchise has been very successful so they do know what they're doing) That is just my guess on putting 2 and 2 together, I haven't seen his books. I know it put 1 lady out of business spending so much money. But then again.... I never saw her books AND she might have been a 'spender'. She appeared on the scene with a nice car all wrapped and an office with no one to clean.... but she looked damn good.

Hopefully you can help those that live in an area like yours... I sure wish I lived where you do. I live right in the middle of the 4th largest metro in the US.
sprintcar93 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to marketing! happyhousecleaning Sales & Marketing 27 07-16-2019 07:39 AM
Marketing help Luke S. Sales & Marketing 16 05-20-2016 10:30 PM
e-mail marketing alphacleaning2009 Websites, Software, and Computers 38 11-29-2012 06:29 AM
What is internet marketing? Laurencee General Discussion 50 11-22-2012 03:51 AM
Marketing Coach Here Gloria New Member Introductions 4 11-06-2010 10:04 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome