need advice on growing! - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 05-11-2007, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

need advice on growing!

hi, i'm new to this board so please bare with me. my wife and i started a commercial cleaning business 5 years ago on our own with $15,000. we started by advertising in both local phone books and in 5 years our company has grown slowly by word of mouth and cold calling. we now have 29 accounts and 12 employee's. our company grosses about $200,000 a year right now, but it seems like we just are not getting alot of phone calls for bids. we really don't have a large advertising budget to work with as the yellow page ad's are expensive. we are located in a city of 70,000 with surrounding communities averaging 10,000. there's alot of companies in the area, but what is our best way to really fire up the telephone? we do not belong to the local chamber of commerce, do you recommend that? thanks, tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-11-2007, 01:27 AM

Hi Timmy,

Welcome to cleaningtalk.com

There are 2 things that I recommend that everyone do now a days ~
1) get a webpage and get it opitimized
2) get your self a presentation packett together and get out there and start cold calling the accounts that you would like to have. You have to get your name out to the key people in order for them to consider you.

Joining organizations such as the chamber of commerce, BNI, Ect... work for some and not so much for others.

Btw - where are you from? In some cases lead generating companies can be useful, you might want to consider some of those.
post #3 of Old 05-11-2007, 03:11 AM

have you tried pay per click ads

can run high but just to give you an example i paid 250.00 last mth in ppc ads and produced 2500 i sales off of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 05-12-2007, 01:59 PM

send post cards or door hangers there pretty cheap another way is a parade its getting summer now and I know in the county has a parade every summer and a entry in ti is only $15 so I throw flyers and saltwater taffy in it. Lot of calls. There is about 10 cities in a 50 miles from me that have one every year. Try it, it works great.
post #5 of Old 05-12-2007, 06:40 PM

Door hangars and a killer website like T mentioned will get you the most bang for your buck.

• Do research on effective advertising and copy writing
• Have a professional design your print material
• Target by demographic, not postal route.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #6 of Old 05-16-2007, 09:25 PM

Where can you get those door hangers printed that sounds like a good idea
post #7 of Old 05-16-2007, 10:36 PM

http://www.supercheapsigns.com/door_hangers.htm

You can also make your own rather cheaply on card stock, or by purchasing blank hangers and printing your own
post #8 of Old 05-17-2007, 07:58 AM

http://www.kbkgraphics.com/brochure-page.html

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #9 of Old 05-17-2007, 08:32 AM

Has anyone used the yard signs and how well does it work? I have many customers in big neighborhoods just wondering if any one has used them and how well do they work on bring new customers out of one area
post #10 of Old 10-31-2007, 06:53 PM

Try.

Trade publications
University newspapers
Radio shows
cross promo with other compaines in your area (share Door Hanger)
Infomercial
email marketing
B2B
post #11 of Old 11-03-2007, 09:07 PM

Knock on doors. If you want the commercial accounts, this is the only way to get in the door in that small of a town. Don't be pushy, just ask for the manager and if he/she is not there leave some literature about your biz. Go back once every couple of weeks to keep your face in front of them. You will know which ones are thinking of making a change pretty quickly, because they will listen to you. If they don't, move on. If you can, leave some doughnuts or something once in awhile at the accounts you really want.

The phone doesn't ring magically. make it happen.
post #12 of Old 11-03-2007, 09:09 PM

Hey T. when are you coming to Phoenix? Mi casa es su casa.
post #13 of Old 11-03-2007, 10:18 PM

Dunno Kerry but if you are ever in Callie the same goes for you.
I know it is a year away but we should start planning on meeting in Vegas next October for the ISSA Convention
post #14 of Old 11-03-2007, 10:27 PM

Growing your business

Hi Tim,
Listen only to Azclean. Don't spend much of your hard earned money on doorhangers, yellow book advertising, etc. if you are trying to grow a commercial cleaning business. These are definitely not worth your time or money. My business has about 6x your sales in less than four years by going from door to door, leaving high quality info on my business and following up by phone to set an appointment. If you can't get interested today then continue to follow-up a few months later until they give you the appointment. Eventually they won't be happy with their service and they will remember you! Death, taxes and eventually changing cleaning services are all givens. Have excellent references to back up your claims of being the best! Deliver 20 - 50 packets of info to the decision maker everyday at commercial locations and I guarantee that you will grow dramatically within a year. Don't rely on anyone going out of their way to call you, they rarely will.
Good luck!
Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode