Not really a title, just rambling.... - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-10-2015, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Not really a title, just rambling....

So I am looking to take my other business (I have a mowing business that I got rid of but now have back) to an all new level. I'm going to do something with it that no other person in the US is doing.... except for 1 dang guy that happens to be right in my area.... ya might know. Heck, he is just down the street from me... sigh.....

Anyway, since I have a lil competition I've been actually studying what others are doing (I've never cared what anyone else was doing before but this is a new venture) marketing wise and have been looking at a LOT of flyers and door hangers. Not only for mowing but cleaning also... just to stay on top of the 'game' and maybe get a new idea or a lead for an idea.

I am here to tell ya.... every marketer in the US needs to be FIRED.... QUICK! There are some awful pieces of 'work' out there. Every mowing flyer has green on it and says the same crap cleaning flyers do. Every cleaning flyer either has a cute picture or says a bunch of crap on it that by the time you get to the end of it you want to take a hammer and smash your.... ok, I better stop there.... but you get the point.

I just wanted to get that off my chest. I've looked at so many flyers and watched so many videos and people are so happy of what they design or what they PAY FOR and then.... very little results. There is an old saying.... continue to do what you are doing and you will get the same results.

If you say your flyer works great please fill in the blank,

I made $_______ million in 2014.

If you are only a thousandaire, you need to wake up.

My conclusion is that I am 100% sure I can take the mowing business to $1 million revenue within the next 18 months and double every year after that.... from what I've seen.... unless I get side-tracked. lol Same could be said for the cleaning business except I can't find anyone that will actually CLEAN. Everyone says they clean great but to MY standards they are all less than sub-par. Mostly former cleaning business owners. I could start a cleaning franchise and leave it up to the franchise owners to struggle but I wouldn't wish that pain on my enemy.

Last edited by sprintcar93; 07-10-2015 at 12:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-10-2015, 02:31 AM

Good luck Sprintcar with the two businesses. Not easy to run two companies with completely separate requirements and issues. Why not just put all of your focus into just one of these businesses?
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org
post #3 of Old 07-10-2015, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

I never have just 1 business Peter. lol I actually have 3 businesses at this time. It's not really hard. I can handle the cleaning business in my sleep and the hassle of it is so normal life wouldn't be the same without it. I have a lady that does 99% of the work (phone & dealing with workers/customers) for my very small remodeling business. And the girl that heads up the mowing business is a mini me. I tell her what direction to go in and she is like a boll dozer... she gets the job done. Luckily I have her committed until 2017 at the least. I'm sure she will stay longer but that's our deal.

I just get so sick of people in the world saying they can't find a job and then when I offer them a job cleaning (up to $15 an hour within 6 months) they won't take it. We have cut our charity to $0 because I am not giving money to people if all they do is complain because they don't want to work.

In the remodeling business there is no shortage of finding guys that want to work.... the problem there is the quality of work... but atleast they want to work!!

Same in the mowing business. Pretty easy to find people to mow. We are going to all sub contractors for the rest of this year and then next and in 2017 I hope to be in other cities around the country. It's going to be HUGE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-10-2015, 11:29 AM

You care a little about what others are doing because you always post very helpful stuff for others to take your advice Love reading your posts, thanks for all the advice.
post #5 of Old 07-10-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Yes I care about what others are doing and I hope people are making money. That's why I get on here and bitch so people will get mad and maybe make more money.... it has worked!

But I don't normally care what others are doing to market their business or how much they charge..... those things don't really have anything to do with MY business. Maybe someone is using Thumbtack and gets a job every now and then and is happy with that.... but that doesn't really work for me. Or maybe someone puts an ad in the newspaper.... that doesn't work for me. Maybe someone charges $65 to do a house that I charge $95..... see, what others do don't really have anything to do with your business (not YOU but in general). The person that charges $65 might go hungry if they didn't have that job. And while I would charge $95 to do it, another larger company might charge $125 because they have LOTS of overhead. People try to compare theirs to others and that is where the failure starts..... and it goes downhill from there.

But what I did was to look at what others are doing in hopes I would find a few things I could piece together the next BIG ONE to follow the big one I currently have. But since I found the one HUGE flaw in all advertising, it will be very hard to put 2 pieces of crap together and make a gold bar.

Does anyone know what the mascot is for Chick-Fil-A?
post #6 of Old 07-10-2015, 11:19 PM

I know this one, a cow! Eat more chickin! I always see him standing outside of the restaurant.
Peter Weiss
www.totalservices.org
post #7 of Old 07-11-2015, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

And that's what great marketing is.... it's a chicken place with a COW as a mascot! Most companies are too straight these days.... no fun.

Now on a personal note, if I owned the chain I'd dress the cows up with a confederate flag shirt and rainbow shorts just to urinate people off!
post #8 of Old 07-12-2015, 01:12 AM

If you don't mind me asking Sprintcar, which business do you enjoy the most or least dislike the most? How do you go about getting new accounts for your businesses other than referrals?
Peter Weiss
www.totalservices.org
post #9 of Old 07-12-2015, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

I'm leaning towards lawn care because males want to work and as much as females say they want to work, they don't. Or maybe put it this way.... the males know they HAVE to work and lots of females are on assistance and don't need to. That will urinate people off but you know me... if it's the truth, it doesn't matter to me if it urinates people off or not. I have a female that is my partner in the lawn care and she agrees 100%. Her husband thinks she is crazy for going in to business with me (she is a graphic designer) but she told him that after seeing what I can do she would be crazy to NOT go in to business with me.

I have always HATED referrals. They are a big PITA!!

Flyers have always made my money. Apparently I'm the world master at it

The internet has helped a little with a few other businesses I had. The appliance business I had for a few years was a success through the internet.

It also does a little for lawn care. I'm 4th on the first page of google but the bad thing is..... we are changing the name up just a little. So I hope that doesn't mess things up. I do all my own SEO.

As for house cleaning..... people can waste money all day every day on different things..... in the end, I am not afraid to bet anyone I can build a business faster with flyers than they can using every other type of marketing combined. But, I'm still not giving up my secrets to them.

I talk a lot of crap and when it comes to flyers, I can back it up 200%.
post #10 of Old 07-12-2015, 07:46 PM

I'm guessing that the fliers look really good! Thought you were going to say you only hire women because they are more attractive to work with then men!
Peter Weiss
www.totalservices.org
post #11 of Old 07-12-2015, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Well, no one on here knows how I really am but I'm one of the top 5 perverts in the US... make all kinds of jokes all the time... my friends all know I'm always on boob patrol... but when it comes time for work, I am as straight laced as they come. It's like Jekyll & Hyde. So I can work the same around a 19 year old female as I do around a 60 year old man
post #12 of Old 07-12-2015, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Pete, you have exceeded your limit of private messages, I can't send one until you clear the damn things out!
post #13 of Old 07-12-2015, 09:45 PM

Thank for letting me know. I don't private message too often so don't know how that is possible but will check it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode