Please help me choose between Commercial and Residential Cleaning - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of Old 01-20-2016, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Bro
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 40
Please help me choose between Commercial and Residential Cleaning

Hi there,

I can't decide what path to take for my cleaning company. I want to offer only one to my customers but I don't know what path to take. Please share with me your pro's and con's. I'm very confused. I don't know which one will make more money. I guess that depends on me though, right? From what I was told and thought about, residential cleaning is more saturated, but I shouldn't base my decision on that because many industries are saturated. Why is it better to choose more targeted customers than something that everyone else is doing? Is that something I should consider?

What reasons should I use to decide which industry to dedicate my company to? What deciding factors did you choose when you started?

Please help.

Cheers
Bro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of Old 01-20-2016, 08:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 224
Once I started in commercial cleaning I never had a desire to get into residential. Two most important differences is the high level of detailed cleaning expected in residential cleaning. Commercial is a more broad, overall type of cleaning for most accounts. Even more important is the time that the cleanings are performed. House cleaning is during the day and commercial for most part is after closing. We have a large window between 6:00 pm - 8:00 am to get things done while residential you are expected to be there at a certain time. We have keys and alarm codes to our commercial customers while residential might not be so accommodating. If I choose to hire non-English speaking employees it usually isn't a problem for commercial but may be an issue in dealing with residential customers. Then there is the extra project work in commercial of floor stripping/waxing, carpet cleaning, window washing, etc. more often throughout the year. I have a cleaning woman at my home and thank God that we aren't expected to clean as thoroughly as she cleans! There are obvious exceptions regarding the cleaning of surgery centers, dialysis centers, etc. but you can choose where to avoid or target.
Just my humble opinion.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org
jahra352 is offline  
post #3 of Old 01-20-2016, 11:44 PM
Senior Member
 
sprintcar93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 961
Yep, Peter is correct. Although nowadays I'm 100% positive I wouldn't choose either. lol Very hard to find someone to clean residential nowadays. On the other hand, not just anyone can strip and wax a floor. But you only need 1 good floor guy and he can usually handle most anything you give him.... or sub it out. Can't even find many of those 'non-English speaking' people that does as good of a job anymore. In Texas we call them mexcans.

I say good luck which ever route you choose... you will need it because of work ethic nowadays.
sprintcar93 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of Old 01-21-2016, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Bro
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahra352 View Post
Once I started in commercial cleaning I never had a desire to get into residential. Two most important differences is the high level of detailed cleaning expected in residential cleaning. Commercial is a more broad, overall type of cleaning for most accounts. Even more important is the time that the cleanings are performed. House cleaning is during the day and commercial for most part is after closing. We have a large window between 6:00 pm - 8:00 am to get things done while residential you are expected to be there at a certain time. We have keys and alarm codes to our commercial customers while residential might not be so accommodating. If I choose to hire non-English speaking employees it usually isn't a problem for commercial but may be an issue in dealing with residential customers. Then there is the extra project work in commercial of floor stripping/waxing, carpet cleaning, window washing, etc. more often throughout the year. I have a cleaning woman at my home and thank God that we aren't expected to clean as thoroughly as she cleans! There are obvious exceptions regarding the cleaning of surgery centers, dialysis centers, etc. but you can choose where to avoid or target.
Just my humble opinion.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
Thanks for your advice. Are there many customers in commercial cleaning that expect VCT Floor Care and Carpet Cleaning? I don't like doing it.
Bro is offline  
post #5 of Old 01-21-2016, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Bro
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
Yep, Peter is correct. Although nowadays I'm 100% positive I wouldn't choose either. lol Very hard to find someone to clean residential nowadays. On the other hand, not just anyone can strip and wax a floor. But you only need 1 good floor guy and he can usually handle most anything you give him.... or sub it out. Can't even find many of those 'non-English speaking' people that does as good of a job anymore. In Texas we call them mexcans.

I say good luck which ever route you choose... you will need it because of work ethic nowadays.
Thanks man. What do you mean by its hard to find someone to clean residential nowadays?
Bro is offline  
post #6 of Old 01-21-2016, 12:50 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 29
Just starting out, it will be very hard to get big deals with bigger companies (more specifically "name brands").

So look in your area, what is there for businesses / offices? Are they all big brand names, or are a lot of them local.

Then, compare that with the residential opportunities. If there are a lot of people, then you may want to consider residential. But normally more people = more businesses, so it really comes down to which you prefer sometimes.
rayclean is offline  
post #7 of Old 01-21-2016, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Bro
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayclean View Post
Just starting out, it will be very hard to get big deals with bigger companies (more specifically "name brands").

So look in your area, what is there for businesses / offices? Are they all big brand names, or are a lot of them local.

Then, compare that with the residential opportunities. If there are a lot of people, then you may want to consider residential. But normally more people = more businesses, so it really comes down to which you prefer sometimes.

Are small retail spaces and offices easy to get? How easy? Like, what is the effort invovled compared to big offices and retail spaces like Wal-Mart?

What are the steps to getting a contract with any commercial space?
Bro is offline  
post #8 of Old 01-21-2016, 01:25 AM
Senior Member
 
sprintcar93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 961
You didn't read Peter's post? He makes most of his profit from extra work. Extra work = floor jobs and carpet jobs.

What do I mean? I mean people are such idiots nowadays they need their cars to drive them where they are going because they don't have the sense to drive it there their self. I mean people are such idiots they think $15 an hour will solve their problem of not having a brain to know how to save and spend money to start with. I mean people have a lot of empty room in their head because most don't have a brain or if they do they sure are good at not using it. I'm not sure I can make it any clearer.....??
sprintcar93 is offline  
post #9 of Old 01-21-2016, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Bro
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
You didn't read Peter's post? He makes most of his profit from extra work. Extra work = floor jobs and carpet jobs.

What do I mean? I mean people are such idiots nowadays they need their cars to drive them where they are going because they don't have the sense to drive it there their self. I mean people are such idiots they think $15 an hour will solve their problem of not having a brain to know how to save and spend money to start with. I mean people have a lot of empty room in their head because most don't have a brain or if they do they sure are good at not using it. I'm not sure I can make it any clearer.....??
lol it's clear
Bro is offline  
post #10 of Old 01-21-2016, 04:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 224
To answer your question Bro, retail can be easy to get but they usually want cleaning during early morning hours as opposed to night time. They also pay the bare minimum in most cases. Getting into an account the size of Walmart is a whole other story. You may want some damn good connections for something that size. If just starting out, I wouldn't worry about planning to clean a Walmart right away. Start building accounts that you can handle and learn from and then start working your way into larger accounts. Larger accounts will also want strong references before giving you their business.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org
jahra352 is offline  
post #11 of Old 01-21-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Bro
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahra352 View Post
To answer your question Bro, retail can be easy to get but they usually want cleaning during early morning hours as opposed to night time. They also pay the bare minimum in most cases. Getting into an account the size of Walmart is a whole other story. You may want some damn good connections for something that size. If just starting out, I wouldn't worry about planning to clean a Walmart right away. Start building accounts that you can handle and learn from and then start working your way into larger accounts. Larger accounts will also want strong references before giving you their business.
Peter Weiss
Total Maintenance Services
www.totalservices.org
Cheers man. I don't have any references. I guess I can always ask my mom lol?
Bro is offline  
post #12 of Old 01-27-2016, 05:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 183
Best 4 Reasons How to Start a Cleaning Business is following given:-
Decide to be a commercial or consumer-driven business
Figure out what services you want to offer
Consider opening a franchise or running your own business
Choose a location
Pick a name
Get your business set up
Get liability insurance
Obtain start-up capital
Get your equipment ready
colmarwatson is offline  
post #13 of Old 05-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 36
Commerical is harder to get, but man if you can get them, they are easy peasy....especially if you don;t mind doing their jobs when their offices are closed (lots of late nights). I typically ask my residnetial accounts who they work for and if they could refer me. It has worked a handful of times. Never hurts to ask.
Oshkoshcarpetcleaning is offline  
post #14 of Old 11-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Alabama Gulf Coast
Posts: 16
I recommend residential, I believe it easier to start up. I also believe it is easier to charge a little bit more for your services.
2colton5 is offline  
post #15 of Old 11-04-2016, 04:14 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 13
Residential is very scaleable, and in some ways easier to start out with. By that I mean your work in residential is taken up 2 hours at a time every week. If you want more or less, you can scale that up one home at a time. Commercial is more like 10 hours per week, or maybe even more. Why not start out small, residential? Also, why do you only want to offer one type? I can understand only wanting to focus on one or the other, but I would just focus on building a business.
theothermrclean is offline  
post #16 of Old 11-23-2016, 05:02 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 21
Love it

Love it!
Flyttevask is offline  
post #17 of Old 01-05-2017, 10:07 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 22
My opinion

Commercial would be more stable all year round.

SteamKleenToronto
Carpet Cleaning Toronto

Last edited by SteamKleenToronto; 01-05-2017 at 10:42 PM.
SteamKleenToronto is offline  
post #18 of Old 01-18-2017, 11:40 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamKleenToronto View Post
Commercial would be more stable all year round.
How do you figure?

Go House Cleaning
House Cleaning in Las Vegas, Henderson, and Summerlin in Nevada.
[email protected]
http://www.gohousecleaning.com/
Go House Cleaning is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commercial Or Residential? FCPWLLC Pressure Washing 20 01-31-2018 10:55 AM
Ideal Target Market for Residential Cleaning and Commercial Bro Sales & Marketing 13 09-27-2016 05:10 PM
Residential, Office, Commercial, Construction Cleaning & Debris Removal & Hauling. LasherCorp Commercial Cleaning 3 09-02-2012 04:52 AM
question about commercial and residential cleaning Brianm4289 Commercial Cleaning 6 12-15-2010 11:57 AM
The U.S. Commercial & Residential Cleaning by Marketdata hp73 Commercial Cleaning 0 08-29-2007 03:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome