Seo - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-23-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Seo

I started my small office cleaning business in Feb 2014, I have one account which is great (this was a warm lead off of thumbtack)
But my goal is to have at least 4 to 5 small office accounts.
I work full-time 8-5 M-F and my budget is tight very tight.
So I am looking for ways to advertise my business. I have tried door to door which is hard with my hours. I have looked in SEO but it is costly. I have tried mailing sales letters but that's costly also no replies and last but not least I have tried email blasting no replies (was doing this because postcards were costly). I know I am using the word"costly" a lot sorry. I am now trying to research how to do my own SEO for my website. Is this a good idea? Does any one have any advice for me? Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 06-16-2014, 04:08 PM

Everything costs money. SEO costs money to hire an expert. To do it yourself you have to invest the time to learn and the time to apply. Nothing in life is free and time is money. If you have a lot of time that is of low value then it is a consideration to do it yourself. Just know there is steep learning curve that is always changing.

Jim
Pacific Steam
post #3 of Old 06-17-2014, 01:28 AM

If you are serious about making this work you will do the following. When you're lunch break comes around on your 8-5 that's when the real work begins... atleast for 30 minutes to an hour. Pick up that phone and start calling. Yep, you will get 100 'NO' and maybe 200 of them but keep at it and you will get a 'YES'!

Do you have any vacation or sick days from your 8-5? Take a day every 2-3 weeks and stay on the phone. My ex used to call for commercial jobs (She did this for another company after we broke up. We didn't really want commercial work at my company.) and she would set up 2-5 appointments per day on average. So yes, it can be done. Don't stay on the phone chit-chatting..... it's either a YES or NO..... get off the phone and call another number. It's all a number's game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 06-18-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
If you are serious about making this work you will do the following. When you're lunch break comes around on your 8-5 that's when the real work begins... atleast for 30 minutes to an hour. Pick up that phone and start calling. Yep, you will get 100 'NO' and maybe 200 of them but keep at it and you will get a 'YES'!

Do you have any vacation or sick days from your 8-5? Take a day every 2-3 weeks and stay on the phone. My ex used to call for commercial jobs (She did this for another company after we broke up. We didn't really want commercial work at my company.) and she would set up 2-5 appointments per day on average. So yes, it can be done. Don't stay on the phone chit-chatting..... it's either a YES or NO..... get off the phone and call another number. It's all a number's game.
I have to agree. Cold calling is a lot of hard work but you WILL get business. It is totally a numbers game. Don't get discouraged. Just know that your success rate could easily be 1%.

Good suggestion,

Jim
www.pacificsteamco.com
post #5 of Old 06-20-2014, 12:21 PM

"Hi Cleanrabbit. I have done a fair bit of SEO work and while you CAN do a lot yourself, it's a whole industry. If your car needed fixing, you wouldn't get a manual and decide to become a mechanic and expect to have the car running in your spare time by Monday. You can get a decent SEO person for about $50-100 an hour, and it shouldn't take them long to spruce up a simple service site at all. Weigh the cost against your time and see if it's worth it for you. I wrote this article on using Keywords that you might find useful. That's something simple that has immediate results. Cold calling? If you're comfortable with it, it might work, but nowadays people just google for what they're looking for, that's why SEO is important. Look at recommendations for SEO people, and try to work with someone local; that way if there's a problem you can see them face to face. There are lots of talented, eager, knowledgeable SEO workers around looking for work in this economy. Check their reviews and testimonials; call a client of theirs and ask about the experience. Anyway, hope this helps. I just suggest not doing your own SEO work because if you don't know what you're doing it's WAAAAAAAY too time-consuming to get up to speed, and you can screw your site up badly in the meantime (I've seen people make all the text on their site invisible, for instance)".
post #6 of Old 06-25-2014, 12:18 PM

You need to realize that this day and age E-Mail blasts will go over about as well as a bull in a china shop. People get way too many E-Mails as it is. Direct marketing doesn't work because the majority of people simply stand over the trash can with their mail and throw away what appears to be advertisements. Your best bet is to scale down your search. Identify 10 businesses that you would like to potentially obtain contracts from. Contact each of them via phone and tell them that you have a cleaning company in town and you would like to mail them some literature and you would like to know who's attention to make it to. With this approach you don't even give the receptionist an option to say no. Take that information and compile a professional looking packet that you will in turn mail to the appropriate party. Follow up a week to week and a half later with a phone call. This time asking for the individual that you sent the packet to. Let them know who you are and encourage them to contact you if they have a need. I have used this method and it actually works. Typically companies are all set "right now", but things change so rapidly in this business that you might get a call in 3 months, 3 weeks or even 3 days. It is the most personal and debatably one of the most effective methods of advertising. Keep in mind that practically every method of advertising is extremely impersonal and cold. Give this a shot and see what you get for results. Let me know how you make out. Forgive the typos and run on sentences. I'm not a writer.
post #7 of Old 07-28-2014, 04:05 PM

I would have to agree with SprintCar93, cold calling is very affordable and if you stick with it, you will get some yes's. You won't be spending a lot of money on a postcard that may or may not work, or sending an email to 10,000 people that will hit the delete button the second they receive it.

Good Luck

-R&R Carpet Cleaning
post #8 of Old 08-01-2014, 05:41 AM
Registered

Seo

Whenever you enter a query in a search engine and hit 'enter' you get a list of web results that contain that query term. Users normally tend to visit websites that are at the top of this list as they perceive those to be more relevant to the query. If you have ever wondered why some of these websites rank better than the others then you must know that it is because of a powerful web marketing technique called Search Engine Optimization (SEO).

SEO is a technique which helps search engines find and rank your site higher than the millions of other sites in response to a search query. SEO thus helps you get traffic from search engines.

The first basic truth you need to know to learn SEO is that search engines are not humans. While this might be obvious for everybody, the differences between how humans and search engines view web pages aren't.

Thanks

http://www.toronto-seo.company

toronto-seo.company
post #9 of Old 08-17-2014, 06:47 PM

Add some links to your website in your signature on here for starters
post #10 of Old 08-21-2014, 10:56 AM

If people just click on the top results of a search for carpet cleaning and I would have to be at the top, how would he do that? I assume everyone is trying to do this and there are dozens if not hundreds of carpet cleaners. Only a couple can be at the top. Sounds like an exercise in frustration to me.

Jim
www.pacificsteamco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin98 View Post
Whenever you enter a query in a search engine and hit 'enter' you get a list of web results that contain that query term. Users normally tend to visit websites that are at the top of this list as they perceive those to be more relevant to the query. If you have ever wondered why some of these websites rank better than the others then you must know that it is because of a powerful web marketing technique called Search Engine Optimization (SEO).

SEO is a technique which helps search engines find and rank your site higher than the millions of other sites in response to a search query. SEO thus helps you get traffic from search engines.

The first basic truth you need to know to learn SEO is that search engines are not humans. While this might be obvious for everybody, the differences between how humans and search engines view web pages aren't.

Thanks

http://www.toronto-seo.company

toronto-seo.company
post #11 of Old 08-26-2014, 07:06 AM

Hi guys,

New to the forum (I'm going to do an Intro post shortly) and funnily enough just found this thread.

I'd start by using the Google AdWords Keyword Planner* to see if there's demand in your area. After all, there's no point pursuing SEO if no one searches for what you do. For us, things like "office cleaning cardiff" and "commercial cleaning cardiff" each get dozens of searches every month, so it's worthwhile.

(* The forum won't let me add a link 'cos I'm new, so type "google adwords keyword planner" into Google and you should find it. You need a Google account to use it, but you don't actually have to be an active AdWords members - i.e. using their ads - so you'll be able to use it for free.)

When you have a few keywords, make sure to include them on your homepage and/or main pages of your site. Make sure you get the balance right though. After all, there's no point writing something Shakespearean if no one ever gets to see it, but similarly, there's no point ranking at the top of Google if you've put so many keywords on your page that the text doesn't read well and it puts potential clients off.

Links from other websites is another important factor. So if you're linked to from cleaning company directories, general business directories (e.g. Yell.com, Yelp, etc.), social media profiles, etc. then it all helps. Just make sure what you're doing is natural in Google's eyes. If you're a cleaning company and you're on a site about cleaning then that's great, but if you're a cleaning company and you're on sites about cars, fishing and pets then that might be considered a little off-topic and might look like you're trying to game the system.

Also, if a Map result appears for your searches, make sure that your NAP (name, address, phone number) are consistent across the Web - in business directories, etc. If you postcode is wrong on some sites, fixing it should help Google to understand that you are actually based there, and it'll be more confident showing your Map listing.

Hope that's useful. :-)
post #12 of Old 08-29-2014, 02:22 PM

SEO tips

Hi cleanrabbit,

what type of website do you have? if you have wordpress site add "all in one SEO" plugin
figure out what keywords you want to rank high in
Try to go with keywords with less then a 100K in competition

in order to figure out your keyword competition do the following

go to google type in the keyword that you want to rank high put that keyword in "" for example if i want to search for keyword house cleaning if i search it as "house cleaning" the competition is over 15 million

go for long keywords for example: "house cleaning in (name of your city)"

add 400-600 words high quality articles to your site every month and the article needs to have your specific keywords in it (5-7) times

use your keywords on your home page

be sure to add Google sitemap to your website

Ping your website you can use pingomatic

every time you add new article ping that page

above are some basic SEO tips/ note SEO takes time it will not happen over night

Good Luck
post #13 of Old 09-02-2014, 05:36 AM

SEO for local cleaning websites

Now online services increasing day by day. For making your online presence on internet do quality of SEO.
post #14 of Old 09-16-2014, 01:51 AM

post #15 of Old 09-16-2014, 09:25 AM

Most important thing for SEO is blogging. Set one up on your website and blog at least once a week. Also hire a good SEO person to help you out. It is well worth it.
post #16 of Old 09-17-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwash View Post
Most important thing for SEO is blogging. Set one up on your website and blog at least once a week. Also hire a good SEO person to help you out. It is well worth it.
Blogging is only useful if what you blog is interesting and draws people to visit your web site. If you blog and nobody comes it is a waste of your time. Make sure you have an audience for what you are saying.

Jim
www.pacificsteamco.com
post #17 of Old 09-18-2014, 04:30 PM

Local SEO Tips

CleanRabbit

I assume you want your website to rank or show in more than 1 city/town?
The link( can't send) below is to an article that SHOWS you how to improve your rank/page views for other cities. There are other articles like this one, send me an email and I can send you the others or go look for them. " SEO for local searches" or something like that.
I have had success with postcards not so much with cold calling--I paid someone with far more energy to do it.
This year all my leads, rfq, etc have come from internet, so trying to boost my presence in surrounding areas.
Brad bdjanitorial.com
post #18 of Old 09-23-2014, 07:36 PM

I love all the copy/pasta spam SEO threads attract. It's hilarious to me, given that duplicate content lowers a site's SEO. In any case, sorry, I left out the link to the Keywording article. Here it is: http://raincoastermedia.com/2011/06/...g-like-a-boss/ and again, you can do a lot of this yourself or throw a few hundred dollars at an expert. Also look up Guerrilla Marketing and Guerrilla Social Media Marketing; they're excellent books.
post #19 of Old 10-01-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHelpdesk View Post
I love all the copy/pasta spam SEO threads attract. It's hilarious to me, given that duplicate content lowers a site's SEO. In any case, sorry, I left out the link to the Keywording article. Here it is: http://raincoastermedia.com/2011/06/...g-like-a-boss/ and again, you can do a lot of this yourself or throw a few hundred dollars at an expert. Also look up Guerrilla Marketing and Guerrilla Social Media Marketing; they're excellent books.
I'm not familiar with pasta spam but maybe I need to noodle on it a little longer. Best thing to do for SEO is to build great content and keep doing it. Carpet cleaning is pretty specific and that helps a lot as well. IMO.

Jim
www.pacificsteamco.com
post #20 of Old 10-10-2014, 01:41 AM

Love the spammy SEO company getting in on the action!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode