Solicitations / Telemarketers - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By monsterfloorequipment

post #1 of Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Solicitations / Telemarketers

As our business grew and became established over the years, the inbound calls from machines and telemarketers (predominately SEO type of businesses stating that we needed to 'claim our Google listing') became unbearable. I came across an app that helped immensely with managing this nuisance. It doesn't get 100% of them, but it's a huge improvement. Note that I have no vested interest other than I don't like being solicited.

And if someone has tried this one, then switched to an even better one, please advise.

https://www.truecaller.com/truecaller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-20-2018, 02:46 PM

I dont like soliciting either. And that is a reason why sometimes on this site, I find that too many people ARE soliciting, or encouraging others to do so to drum up business. I find this obnoxious. If you do your job very well, your good reputation will see you through and keep you working. The MINUTE any company tries to "sell" me, I walk away. This is how I have gotten good deals on my cars - I just get up and walk out. The salespeople either follow me or call me later with a much better deal.
post #3 of Old 02-20-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by missannienow View Post
I dont like soliciting either. And that is a reason why sometimes on this site, I find that too many people ARE soliciting, or encouraging others to do so to drum up business. I find this obnoxious. If you do your job very well, your good reputation will see you through and keep you working. The MINUTE any company tries to "sell" me, I walk away. This is how I have gotten good deals on my cars - I just get up and walk out. The salespeople either follow me or call me later with a much better deal.
Well said Miss Annie, well said.

Sadly, many forums (to an extent this one too) have become spam farms. And why 'so-called' industry experts need to peddle their wares like snake oil salesman is beyond me. If you're so darned good, make your living at your craft, not trying to convince others of anything. It's laughable. "I make a bunch of money - attend my class". Right....

As an aside, do you have a website for your business? If so, I have a friendly suggestion for you based on your posts.

BTW - we walked out on the car dealer for my wife's new car. 4 months later, we picked up the same car, on the same lot for even less than we wanted the first time! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-20-2018, 03:20 PM

Nope, no website. Dont need one, because this is just me, a small person with a small business. But I would welcome any suggestions you have, based on my posts. (Smiling!) I know I can sound abrasive at times, but I get annoyed here a lot. Feel free to message me privately. I have several frustrations about this forum, one of them being how many people here cannot spell correctly or even sound intelligent. Oh! How rude of me. Just seems to me that if you want to promote your business, this is kind of basic, even if English is not your main language.
post #5 of Old 02-20-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

post #6 of Old 02-26-2018, 02:12 PM

Thank you so much for the advice. Telemarketing and solicitations take away from our already busy and hectic days. As small business owners, with little resources, we simply don't have time for that. Thank you again for sharing.

Kristine Harris
https://monsterfloorequipmentparts.com
Monster Floor Equipment Parts
post #7 of Old 02-26-2018, 04:17 PM

Amen!
post #8 of Old 03-08-2018, 03:48 PM

I run all my inbound calls through a voice prompt system. I say "press one for sales......if you are a solicitor please email us at ..."

This method eliminated 99.9% of the calls and cost almost nothing.

Matt
post #9 of Old 03-09-2018, 04:20 PM

Neat. Now, all you people who think you can get good business through soliciting, try to understands that the vast majority of people truly dislike that stuff, and react negatively to it. This does not put YOUR business in a good light. As I have said before, in MY mind, any company that has to resort to this stuff is not worthy of my time - or money.
post #10 of Old 03-18-2018, 06:08 PM

It's pretty cool that you can make enough without needing a website. I like having one because I like having people reaching out to me. I think they call that 'inbound marketing'. If I can get 100-150 people calling me every month, I don't waste any time or money on marketing. And my business is growing at a really nice clip. Before the website, we were getting 3-4 calls per month. A buddy of mine that's an eye doctor in Tulsa says that his business doubled when they straightened up their online presence. He said his website was not great before and he never showed up in the search engines. Now he's doing great.

If you're happy with the amount of business you're getting without a website - more power to you.
post #11 of Old 03-18-2018, 06:09 PM

AGREED! I always hate being solicited and would be very uncomfortable soliciting or paying someone to solicit for me.
post #12 of Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 AM

Yes. I would not feel good about myself if I resorted to soliciting. It is important to me to feel GOOD about what I do, and be hoonest about it as well. Unrequested soliciting is just a bunch of nonsense.
post #13 of Old 04-17-2018, 08:06 AM

Okay agree on all your posts. thanks.
post #14 of Old 08-02-2018, 09:24 AM

WHAT!!!!!??????
You all feel bad about reaching out and soliciting your services???

I am a salesman,and IM PROUD OF IT!!

Some of us,YES,we can be annoying i admit. But if you don't reach out and ask,how will you know.
I think what it is,is that most of you are just terrible on the phone..But thats ok..Calling up businesses or homeowners is not your thing..But...It can be if you know how..

I've trained hundreds of Call Center reps mostly appointment setters who still contact me when they have a need for a trainer to come in and work with their employees..

Im going to give you all a free Ice Breaking Intro that works on Gatekeepers(Secretaries,Receptionist etc...) about 9 out of 10 times on average.
And it is non threatening that they won't be thinking,"sales call,NO NO NO NO NO NO" just after you introduce yourselves.

Just say,
"Hi My name is David with Top Brass how are you?
Great..
Could you tell me the procedure to follow if I wanted to give you an estimate for your janitorial service?
Whomever you are talking to will either patch you over with no problem to the decision maker..Or,they will sing like a bird with a name,cell phone number,etc...of the decision maker. I have a better script i use now but that one still works..

Thats it folks.
You will either get the following response's"
"Thats a (boss or managers name)question,hold on let me get them".
"Sure,you would have to set an appt. with me for a walkthrough".(Always confirm it with whomever they try to schedule it with 1st)
"When are you in the area"?
And maybe 2 or 3 times out of 20 people you contact will say,im sorry im not or we're not interested at this time..If thats the case,get their email address and email your contact info,website,and a little more information about your services to them.

After you get your foot in the door past the gatekeepers,or if you are speaking with the owner,office manager etc...GET THE APPOINTMENT!!

Let me know how it turns out for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode