What would you do? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-23-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation What would you do?

I just started a cleaning business. I'm 23 and a former Marine. I know what clean is. I've been passing out fliers in my local apartment complexes as I want to do residential cleaning. There are 12 complexes on one street. I've passed out about 200 so far with no responses. I've yet to get ONE CUSTOMER!! I have no money for advertising that's why i started cleaning in the first place.

I know i need to revise my flyer. I've found several examples. I need to build a website so people can see what services I offer. Coupons on the fliers etc. maybe post a craigslist ad. I basically will clean anything for $40 no time limit, and I'll clean till your happy. I have a checklist that I do that I got from another cleaning company. Basically a cleaning slave for $40.

I researched that my target audience is either the elderly or medium income families that just don't have time to clean, or lazy people. So I think i need to start advertising houses instead of apartments.

What would be the best way for someone like me to spread the word? I guess fliers is all i got since i have no money to invest in marketing.

Just looking for some help so I can support my family. I'm not afraid to work, however I don't want to buy some $100 e-book. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-17-2009, 05:20 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdot View Post
I just started a cleaning business. I'm 23 and a former Marine. I know what clean is. I've been passing out cheap, home made, chinchy looking fliers in my local apartment complexes as I want to do residential cleaning. There are 12 complexes on one street. I've passed out about 200 so far with no responses. I've yet to get ONE CUSTOMER!! I have no money for advertising that's why i started cleaning in the first place.

I know i need to revise my flyer. I've found several examples. I need to build a website so people can see what services I offer. Coupons on the fliers etc. maybe post a craigslist ad. I basically will clean anything for $40 no time limit, and I'll clean till your happy. I have a checklist that I do that I got from another cleaning company. Basically a cleaning slave for $40.

I researched that my target audience is either the elderly or medium income families that just don't have time to clean, or lazy people. So I think i need to start advertising houses instead of apartments.

What would be the best way for someone like me to spread the word? I guess fliers is all i got since i have no money to invest in marketing.

Just looking for some help so I can support my family. I'm not afraid to work, however I don't want to buy some $100 e-book. Thoughts?
Silverdot,

It's been almost 2 months and no one has responded to you. My guess is that they view your post either as a joke or not worth responding to.

On another thread you admitted that you are a trunk slammer, not at all interested in starting a real business.

I'm trying to understand why a 23 year old former Marine is now passing out home made flyers in an effort to work under the table (as you admitted to on another thread).

Is there a reason why you left the military? At least there you had a respected position. What you are doing now will get you in trouble with the IRS......and you appear to boast about it on your other thread.

None of this is computing. Why would a former marine write a post proclaiming himself a "cleaning slave" who is willing to work for $40?

I have a feeling that you are a faker----a spammer here for attention. If that is the case, you need to find something constructive to do with your time.

Write the vision and make it plain: http://maidservicecoaching.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Cat; 10-17-2009 at 05:49 PM.
post #3 of Old 11-06-2009, 03:18 AM

Silverdot,

Direct Marketing in my opinion is a thing of the past, not really a great Return on Investment.

I'd say drop the fliers... Direct Marketing Campaigns (flyers, newsletters, etc) will usually get 0-2% return... so at best... 200 flyers past out = 4 calls... from there you got to convert... so roughly 1-2 hours of passing out those flyers. You do the math. Probably not worth your time.

My recommendations:
1. Get some business Cards. Network with Friends, Family, People You know. (pass out those business cards, maybe 1-3 each person)
2. Get a website. Research about Inbound Marketing, SEO, website design, you don't need to have something great, just needs to be good enough, but definitely a lot of work (but for the most part cheaper than buying flyers to burn (assuming you print 1000+).
3. Use Social Networking Sites to find potential clients (don't spam)
4. Also, be sure not to sell yourself too short.. $40 bucks definitely selling yourself too low.
5. Get friends, family, customers, etc. to review your services online on google (or any reputable online review place).
6. Don't limit yourself to residential. If you're going for low price, businesses look for low price, so you may be able to outbid... again don't go too low.

Just some thoughts and suggestions. -Good Luck!

Aqualux Carpet Cleaning
10777 Turbeville Dr, #100 Dallas, TX 75243 | 214-607-8562
Carpet Cleaning Dallas | Carpet Cleaning Services
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 11-10-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdot View Post
I just started a cleaning business. I'm 23 and a former Marine. I know what clean is.
As a former "Marine", you may very well know what clean is! That is about the only asset you have going for you. What your missing is the mind set, attitude, and respect for yourself, your deserving family, your clients, and the rest of us! It seems like thats the one thing either the Marine Corps failed to teach, or you forgot to bring it home with you! Stop trying to get over on everyone else as nobody owes you anything! You are 23? Have you figured out what you want to be when you grow up? If you continue to be ignorant, my suggestion to you - STOP posting questions on this forum and wasting our time. Just run your business and what ever happens - happens! What you put into it will greatly determine what you get out of it! Invest nothing, gain nothing.

I seriously thought about posting a link to McDonald's Job Application site, but after reading through it, even they are looking for career minded individuals.

You might be better off just going on welfare, just stay home and sit on the couch, watch Jerry Springer or something.

Seriously, this site is intended for those who wish to listen, learn and grow! Don't come on here disrespecting those of us who offer advise, and knowledge of expertise - then turn around and insult us for our thoughts on your illegally gotten "Pure Proffit" tactics. You are pathetic.

I encourage any moderator to ban you from this site....please!

We will always be here to offer advise, when and if you grow up, and decide to do the right thing - legit, come back and visit us, as
we will be happy to assist you with your business, whether it be a long or short term objective. Do it right, and imagine the source of income your family could have in these difficult times. Nobody wants to work forever, build it right, let someone else work for you, reap the rewards - but they wont come cheap!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in