Are the yellow pages dead? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 05-03-2006, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Are the yellow pages dead?

So, I spent $4,000 last year on the yellow pages and hardly got any good calls. I did get some but nothing to justify the cost.

With the internet I don't even keep the yellowpages at my house anymore. I just go to superpages or anywho to find numbers.

What are your thoughts on the yellowpages? Are they dead?

In my opinion they still have some use but are way over priced by a factor of 10.

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-22-2006, 12:54 PM

I think a lot of people use the yellow pages on-line. I think the work we get for the phone book is only about 12% of what we do.
post #3 of Old 05-23-2006, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Do you mean the actual yellow pages branded websites by the major telcos or just any search engine?

Example:
Superpages.com
anywho.com
yp.com

Nathan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 06-27-2006, 06:39 PM

I tried it and did not get one call from potential customers. I did get alot of people who tried to sell me stuff. I even ran it for another year and at a few grand it still brought nothing. When I reviewed our what works and what didn't. Most of everybody found us on the web through searches or from our refferals. I guess it all depends where you live, like a city with tons of other contractors in same listing or in a rural town where the competition is not really there.
post #5 of Old 06-27-2006, 07:16 PM

2 years ago I ran 3 full color 1/4 page ads at the tune of $1000 a month. I was on the "guaranteed 15 calls a month" deal or pay less for that month. Like Dave, I got that many calls a week from other advertising companies trying to sell me pens and crap. Screwed my Guarantee.

We kept track of or leads and figured only making 4500 all year from direct calls through the yellow pages. Lost big on that.

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
post #6 of Old 06-27-2006, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

About a week ago I drove up to my house and had a brand new yellow pages in the driveway. I picked it up and placed it in the trash can that it was sitting next to.

I didn't even think about it. I saw it as a huge book that I had no room for and I knew that I could always go online to find someone.
I think that is when I knew the yellowpages were done for sure. Of course some will still use it for a while but I think the real value is gone.

Nathan

post #7 of Old 06-27-2006, 07:34 PM

Wow I feel the same way. Can never find a place to put the darn huge things LOL. They just don't fit under the tables and in drawers.
post #8 of Old 06-27-2006, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

It's sort of like the newspaper. Every now and then I like to sit at a coffee shop and read a print copy but I don't subscribe anymore. To me it's just old news and I can get a free, more up to date copy online.

Nathan

post #9 of Old 06-28-2006, 03:23 PM

I don't remember the last time I looked in the yellow pages.

Overpriced and people use the internet more now.
post #10 of Old 06-28-2006, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I don't remember the last time I looked in the yellow pages.

Overpriced and people use the internet more now.
I remember the last time I looked at it. It was last year when I was trying to pick a design for my ad. What an idiot I was.

I bet the sales guys are having a really hard time reselling ads lately. Of course so many businesses buy advertising without tracking any of the results.

Nathan

post #11 of Old 06-28-2006, 05:01 PM

H all, I am new to your forum and do not know how things are done, but I would like to add my 2 cents.

I have been in the stone restoration since 1992 and have used all forms of advertising. Just hast year I got the bright idea to get with a few guys like myself and promote our services on a national level. We now share the cost for every thing and head out to trade shows and other events that cater to our targets. The most expensive show we did was $7K but with 10 guys that was only $700 out of my pocket. The type of net working that could take place will last you a life time. I when from getting one good job a year to 2-3 a week. If you want to advertise this is the way to go. One person can not do it will take a few guys to cover your leads.
post #12 of Old 06-28-2006, 08:49 PM

I have heard about this and think that is a fantastic way of advertising.
post #13 of Old 06-28-2006, 09:38 PM

well I am new on here but internet verizon super pages has been the best for the business
post #14 of Old 06-28-2006, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huligar View Post
H all, I am new to your forum and do not know how things are done, but I would like to add my 2 cents.

I have been in the stone restoration since 1992 and have used all forms of advertising. Just hast year I got the bright idea to get with a few guys like myself and promote our services on a national level. We now share the cost for every thing and head out to trade shows and other events that cater to our targets. The most expensive show we did was $7K but with 10 guys that was only $700 out of my pocket. The type of net working that could take place will last you a life time. I when from getting one good job a year to 2-3 a week. If you want to advertise this is the way to go. One person can not do it will take a few guys to cover your leads.
Couple of questions for you. When you say that you advertise on a national level what does that mean? What services do you provide where advertising across the country is beneficial?

Either way I totally agree about networking with others. That is really what these forums are all about as well. Learning from each other and helping each other out can really help you grow your business.

Nathan

post #15 of Old 06-28-2006, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslawnservices View Post
well I am new on here but internet verizon super pages has been the best for the business
Welcome to the site!

When you get a chance post an introduction in our Introductions forum. Make sure you tell us what type of work you do and how you found us.

Anyways... back on topic. So, the Internet yellow pages is working out well for you. I like that a lot more. How are the costs and do they still charge by the click?
When I looked into it you paid one price to be listed and then if they click to see your phone number you paid a cost per click rate. Is that how your set up?

Nathan

post #16 of Old 06-28-2006, 10:54 PM

Nathan we do stone restoration, we have a forum just like this one in fact, we are Powered by vBulletin also.
Any thing that you can do to natural stone we can fix, and when i say we i mean over 500 individual companies. What we do is go to trade shows like coverings, stonexpo, kbis and a few more and represent all the restoration guys. Any work that we get in our members back yard goes to them, this makes them happy so we are happy, we are founded by the members of our forum so that we can continue to be unbiased. it is a real good way to get the word out and get representation in place that you never could before. It work great for our guys. it is like services magic for the restoration guys that they do not have to pay for. If you want more information send me a pm. I do not feel comfortable on this forum. I do not know what i can do from what i can not do. If you need any help with some of the back end stuff let me know, I have few cool mods that i can send you.
post #17 of Old 06-28-2006, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Sounds interesting. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Nathan

post #18 of Old 07-02-2006, 10:50 PM

I've spent $5100.00 in yellow page ads thus far this year, and have made approx. $3700.00 as a result. I'd have been better off to stay home those days and never have the ad. Oh, and I got one opportunity to bid on a shopping center that wound up getting lowballed. LOL
post #19 of Old 07-03-2006, 10:43 PM

They dont work anymore there use to be a time that they were great know a days they dont work. High costs and no pay back. Internet is where its at plus its cheaper. Lots of bulletin boards, free ads, and business websites to shoot your ad to. Plus online yp's.
post #20 of Old 07-04-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM Cleaning & Sanitizing View Post
They dont work anymore there use to be a time that they were great know a days they dont work. High costs and no pay back. Internet is where its at plus its cheaper. Lots of bulletin boards, free ads, and business websites to shoot your ad to. Plus online yp's.
They worked last year, that's the rub! And the year before! Not sure if it's progress, or just a slow year in general. I've noticed a drop in response from mailers too. Working harder to keep the schedule full.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode