Your Opinions on an E-Mail Estimate - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 05-27-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Your Opinions on an E-Mail Estimate

Hi All, I just received the following in an email:

We are a new business in xxxx that is just seeking out email estimates only at this time. We’ve had a bad experience with a cleaning company in the past that wouldn’t stop calling after their bid, We realize not all companies act that way but please forgive the anonymity until we make our decision.

Please give us a ball park estimate at this time; we obviously will not hold you to estimate sight unseen. If you need any other figures please let us know.

We are a small business so give us an estimate for 1 and 2 visits weekly. It takes our current cleaner 2-21/2 hours to clean, roughly 2500-3000 sq. ft.

My question is; if you received this email, what would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-28-2008, 06:51 AM

Nothing. If a person isn't willing to commit, then neither am I. This reeks of BS. They want the absolute cheapest price and maskthemselves with anonymity because they won't come out and say they want the lowest price. They say they won't hold you to an estimate.. more BS.. test that out and bid it at $75 but tell them you need to see and measure for yourself. Then change the bid to $150.

If you aren't busy you may play tit-for-tat over a few more emails and try to show them you are a professional and that you need to see the property.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #3 of Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 AM

I agree with Ken,I would not waste my time responding. My first impression was one of - this reeks of a competitor trying to get pricing information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 05-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Lou

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou
I say everyone send him a bid.....should bid extravagantly high, and all be within pennies of each other.

Lou
Hoods & More
Phx, Az
602-434-1169
post #5 of Old 05-28-2008, 06:26 PM

post #6 of Old 05-29-2008, 12:00 AM

Sounds very suspicious to me. First of all why are they telling you that another cleaning company stalked them. Most of the time when they say too much it is a clue to them being a competitor. You can ask for a quote and not say the name of your company without saying that another cleaning company called all the time. It is either a competitor or an unprofessional idiot. Geez where did that come from? I think I should be in bed...

Kendra
Busy Bees Cleaning Services
www.busybeesclean.com
post #7 of Old 05-29-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

I have to say I'm tempted to post his email addy so everybody can send him bids Lou . I emailed him yesterday:

Thank you for your interest in a quote. I can understand your reluctance but I am unable to provide a quote without viewing the location in person. You can be sure that I and my employees are professionals and will provide superior service at a fair price. If you are willing to let me view your building I can assure you that I will only contact you to follow up and answer any questions you may have concerning my quote.

I didn't receive a response, but I didn't expect one either. Thanks for your input. It's good to hear that you all felt the same way I did about the situation.
post #8 of Old 08-27-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.peterson View Post
I agree with Ken,I would not waste my time responding. My first impression was one of - this reeks of a competitor trying to get pricing information.

Thats what I thought as welll
post #9 of Old 08-27-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wubb2005 View Post
I have to say I'm tempted to post his email addy so everybody can send him bids Lou . I emailed him yesterday:

Thank you for your interest in a quote. I can understand your reluctance but I am unable to provide a quote without viewing the location in person. You can be sure that I and my employees are professionals and will provide superior service at a fair price. If you are willing to let me view your building I can assure you that I will only contact you to follow up and answer any questions you may have concerning my quote.

I didn't receive a response, but I didn't expect one either. Thanks for your input. It's good to hear that you all felt the same way I did about the situation.

I think this was the appropriate response. If you project yourself as a professional, you will be viewed as one.
post #10 of Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 AM

I provide emails estimates, I let the customer know that the price is just a estimate but I must provide a In-house consultion to provide them with the actual price. Even with In-home estimates I have lost my [email protected]@!!! I do believe the competitor or a new company is hiding behind emails, but I will not turn away any business real or not.
post #11 of Old 09-19-2008, 04:09 PM

I've got many customers through e-mail estimate. They maybe don't have time on the estimates.
post #12 of Old 09-19-2008, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

I have no problem providing an email estimate, but I'm not willing to do it without knowing who I'm giving it to. To each his/her own I guess.
post #13 of Old 09-20-2008, 08:31 AM
J4K

Too many variables such as density of space to provide an accurate bid via email sight unseen. Not too mention the fact they are not willing to provide the name of their business. As stated above it smells fishy, as in another janitorial company trying to get prices from their competitors.
post #14 of Old 09-21-2008, 12:06 PM

Oh I agree with the above poster, I get several "fishy" emails. I think I've had a few this week.
post #15 of Old 09-21-2008, 12:35 PM

Same here, I would not respond to an email unless they provide info. believe me I get quit a few of them. I also get the anonymous calls occasionally.
post #16 of Old 09-22-2008, 09:03 AM

I have had 3 emails just this week and guess what, I've yet to provide a In-Home Estimate. Emails "In my humble opinion" Are like coupon clippers, they shop around to find the lowest prices and they don't necessary want the cleaning done right away it's usually 3-4 weeks down the line. Most of the time they do provide information such as address and phone number. I always have them reference back to my website so they have a full understanding of my description of service. I want them to know what you see is what you get! This one email this last week, I asked her to look over my website and she emailed back and asked me "Are you bonded & insured" obviously she didn't look over my website because I clearly state that. I don't want anyone wasting my time as I don't want to waste theirs. If they are looking for something other then what I provide they need to be aware of that before I ever do the in-home estimate, gas prices are too high to run all over to compete with companies or trunkslammers that provide the lowest rates.
post #17 of Old 09-26-2008, 02:45 PM

Approximately 70% of e-mail quotes became my regular customers, so I always answer on it and if it's necessary I repeat all the info which contains on my website

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode