Implementation Of Captcha - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-01-2007, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Implementation Of Captcha

Implementation Of Captcha. Some hacker keeps usings bots to send inappropriate material using my contact form.

Has anyone installed this program before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-01-2007, 10:32 AM

I'm getting the same sort of spam too. 3 or 4 a day. I am interested in knowing how to stop it too as I can't use spam filter as it is using my email address from my forms and need to receive the leads.

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
post #3 of Old 08-01-2007, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

I have been working with yahoo to stop mine. Yahoo had me make some changes to my web site that stop it for a couple day's. However Yahoo said its a computer robot and the only way to stop it ,is with this Captcha. I only get this mail when I go to www.-------.com I can change the direction of my form everyday or just stop going to that site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-01-2007, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Mike,

Derrick over on contractortalk has some info, under Technology.
post #5 of Old 08-02-2007, 09:37 PM

not sure if this is an issue with this particular nasty, but i have a macintosh and never have to deal with these issues.

nothing bad ever gets thru

suzi g
post #6 of Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzikg View Post
not sure if this is an issue with this particular nasty, but i have a macintosh and never have to deal with these issues.

nothing bad ever gets thru

suzi g
Im not sure how Mac works but they are linking to my web site or its file to send me this . If I use another IP address I'm Ok. Hackers on that forum server or they are sending it.
post #7 of Old 08-08-2007, 10:18 PM

99% of the time you can stop this stuff from your .htaccess file. not sure if you are using one or not. Be careful with it as you can screw up the site if not set up correctly. Heres a link to an online generator. http://cooletips.de/htaccess/

Now if it was me and I knew where the bad traffic or bot was comming from I would create a blank page to redirect them to or just redirect them to nothing. I to was getting some spam on my contact form but in the end I removed it as I decided it was better to have the customer contact me by phone and I can work the sales that way. I was getting maybe 1% of my traffic using the form and felt it was just not worth the headache.
Another thing to look out for is do not have your email in any of the website at all. Even if it can not be seen on site but is residing inside your code someplace the bot will pick it up. This is one reason why you see seasoned online vets posting their email as webmaster [at] site.com

Heres some small code as an example I got from
http://baremetal.com/gadgets/htaccess/access.html

-----------
Sad but true: There often comes a time when the "open" nature of internet becomes a problem. This can be by accident (a badly behaving robot) or on purpose (someone attacking a banner network). In either case, the first level response is the same: block access with your .htacccess file :-).
This isn't meant to be a full fledged tutorial, but a quick example of the more common needs.
The most common scenario is where you want everyone except a few visitors to be able to get to your site. Your .htaccess file would start like this:
order allow,deny allow from allThen you follow that with lines to specify the addresses that you want to block:
deny from 192.168.128.14 deny from 192.168.128. deny from somehost.example.com deny from .example.com Hope this helps.. Jugg.

BTW an .htaccess file is just a simple text file with all this type of information in it, that gets read by your browser when it comes to the site and gets read by bots. Open notepad copy and paste this info in there and save the file as .htaccess. NO NAME just the extenion as it reads. Take that file and place it in the root directory of your webpage. The same place your index file resides. Do not place it in the images folder or anything like that or it will not work. It must be in the root/main directory.

Last edited by juggernaut; 08-08-2007 at 10:23 PM.
post #8 of Old 08-09-2007, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
99% of the time you can stop this stuff from your .htaccess file. not sure if you are using one or not. Be careful with it as you can screw up the site if not set up correctly. Heres a link to an online generator. http://cooletips.de/htaccess/

Now if it was me and I knew where the bad traffic or bot was comming from I would create a blank page to redirect them to or just redirect them to nothing. I to was getting some spam on my contact form but in the end I removed it as I decided it was better to have the customer contact me by phone and I can work the sales that way. I was getting maybe 1% of my traffic using the form and felt it was just not worth the headache.
Another thing to look out for is do not have your email in any of the website at all. Even if it can not be seen on site but is residing inside your code someplace the bot will pick it up. This is one reason why you see seasoned online vets posting their email as webmaster [at] site.com

Heres some small code as an example I got from
http://baremetal.com/gadgets/htaccess/access.html

-----------
Sad but true: There often comes a time when the "open" nature of internet becomes a problem. This can be by accident (a badly behaving robot) or on purpose (someone attacking a banner network). In either case, the first level response is the same: block access with your .htacccess file :-).
This isn't meant to be a full fledged tutorial, but a quick example of the more common needs.
The most common scenario is where you want everyone except a few visitors to be able to get to your site. Your .htaccess file would start like this:
order allow,deny allow from allThen you follow that with lines to specify the addresses that you want to block:
deny from 192.168.128.14 deny from 192.168.128. deny from somehost.example.com deny from .example.com Hope this helps.. Jugg.

BTW an .htaccess file is just a simple text file with all this type of information in it, that gets read by your browser when it comes to the site and gets read by bots. Open notepad copy and paste this info in there and save the file as .htaccess. NO NAME just the extenion as it reads. Take that file and place it in the root directory of your webpage. The same place your index file resides. Do not place it in the images folder or anything like that or it will not work. It must be in the root/main directory.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to clean up my site,because I get Rid of the bot then two days later its back
post #9 of Old 08-11-2007, 12:35 AM

No prb. If you need help with the htaccess let me know they can get confusing with all the options. Also you can toss in some interesting things in a robot.txt file to tell the bot what to do but sometimes the nasty bots wont listen so you resort to the htccess, they have no choice then. Took me a little while to figure out how to deal with them but I used to have about 30 sites and in the end it just paid off. But I'l still to this day getting crud mail from old sites that I no longer have up because I just let the bots do there thing. Thinking it was not a big deal but like a snowball down hill it gets out of hand. Best to take the learning curve. Sit back with a beer one night and read up a little on it. Well worth the time. Keep in mind if you are helping other sites that might be linking to you honestly. If you let the bot just role in, it will role to them also. So trying to stop it or redirect it to a brickwall is the best thing for everyone. Good luck and once again if you need help let me know. Jugg
post #10 of Old 09-01-2007, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Jugg,

Thanks for your help. I took the time to clean up my File Mgr, no more spam at this time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode