Importance of an optimized web presence - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 02-07-2007, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Importance of an optimized web presence

Hello,

Just thought I would chime in here about the importance of an optimized web presence. By optimized I mean, search engine friendly for local searches. People in your area are searching for cleaning services online in mass and finding mostly yellow pages ads in the actual local search section of Google maps. But if you can get seen for the actual search listings on Googles main search index for your area code, you will get a lot of business for very little effort and very little money compared to the yellow pages.

Part of our Suze and Ev method for starting a cleaning business is the optimization of a web presence for local searches. The up front effort is quite intensive, but you will get probably up to a third of your jobs from this resource spread out over many years, possibly indefinately. Once you are optimized, the effort required is practically nil.

This effort will also set you apart from the majority of cleaning professionals, who just are not web savy. Now, this does not mean you should go out hire a web designer to make a stunningly beautiful website. That will do nothing for search results in your area, that is basically an expensive over achieving business card or flyer. You should put your effort into content that gets you seen for local searches.

There are also ways to promote your business through ppc ads on Google, Yahoo and MSN. This is more like traditional advertising, where you pay up front for an ad that is triggered by search terms. More about that later.

I hope this introductory rant about building a web presence has been useful. If you would like more information I would recommend SBI! and you can contact me through our contact form on our start-cleaning-business.com website.

Retired from the cleaning business after 10 years.
Founder of Start-Cleaning-business.com
Become a pro member and get a custom cleaning business website!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-11-2007, 02:44 PM

I've just registered for the Google 'pay per click' tonight. I hope to get some enquiries from this small investment. One small account every six months would pay for it, anything else is a bonus.
post #3 of Old 02-11-2007, 03:32 PM

good luck Paul, let me know how it works out for you, I have been considering it for a project of mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-11-2007, 03:33 PM

Have any of you interior cleaning companies tried Service Magic or similar lead generation services?

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #5 of Old 02-11-2007, 03:47 PM

I have used ServiceMagic in the past and they were ok up until they changed how they distributed the leads, after that I never purchased a lead from them. Why do you ask?
post #6 of Old 02-11-2007, 04:01 PM

A buddy of mine says they generate good cleaning leads (recurring, profitable office work) but I have also heard horror stories about their practices. I don't really need leads right now as I get my HR problems under control, but I like to go into things with eyes open should I decide to pursue.

PS: I have learned some good ways to use Google PPC, Theresa if you want to get in touch.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #7 of Old 02-11-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.peterson View Post
I have used ServiceMagic in the past and they were ok up until they changed how they distributed the leads, after that I never purchased a lead from them. Why do you ask?
Service Magic is NOT the way to go. I do not need them. I just checked them out...again, and it was a true waste of time. blah, blah, blah, give me this $ and that committment with more $$$ to get a lead? ARGGHHHH!

There are other ways to find clients. My best strategies so far have focused on local real estate agents and current client referrals. Lots of move in/outs and new resi clients. I only accept referrals for any new business.

I will NEVER go thru a Service Magic type service to find people I can find on my own. Just waiting for the snow to stop slamming us can't wait until spring

suzi g
post #8 of Old 02-11-2007, 04:33 PM

Ken, I would love to get together with you and compare notes anyday

In regards to servicemagic, from my many discussions with cleaners from all over the United States it seems that those people who work in areas that do not have much competition seem to do very well with the leads, whereas those of us who live in large metropolitan areas seem to only get the dredges unless you are willing to pay in advance some serious money in order to get right of first refusal of the leads that come in for your area. *I personally do not want to pay for that luxury
post #9 of Old 02-12-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.peterson View Post
good luck Paul, let me know how it works out for you, I have been considering it for a project of mine.
The ad went live last night (Sunday) and I had a call at lunch time today from a call centre asking me to go and give them a quote. Sounds promising so far.
post #10 of Old 02-12-2007, 11:01 AM

post #11 of Old 02-13-2007, 01:56 PM

We have had outstanding results with Service Magic. I really believe that depending on what you are offering, coupled with the service area that you provide is a HUGE difference in whether you like them or not. I have to say that where their usage is concerned, opinions are always black & white, never any gray area!!

Celeste

Celeste Gothorp
Carolina ProWash LLC
Graham, NC
336-516-6356
[email protected]
post #12 of Old 05-10-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilesland View Post
Hello,

Just thought I would chime in here about the importance of an optimized web presence. By optimized I mean, search engine friendly for local searches. People in your area are searching for cleaning services online in mass and finding mostly yellow pages ads in the actual local search section of Google maps. But if you can get seen for the actual search listings on Googles main search index for your area code, you will get a lot of business for very little effort and very little money compared to the yellow pages.

Part of our Suze and Ev method for starting a cleaning business is the optimization of a web presence for local searches. The up front effort is quite intensive, but you will get probably up to a third of your jobs from this resource spread out over many years, possibly indefinately. Once you are optimized, the effort required is practically nil.

This effort will also set you apart from the majority of cleaning professionals, who just are not web savy. Now, this does not mean you should go out hire a web designer to make a stunningly beautiful website. That will do nothing for search results in your area, that is basically an expensive over achieving business card or flyer. You should put your effort into content that gets you seen for local searches.

There are also ways to promote your business through ppc ads on Google, Yahoo and MSN. This is more like traditional advertising, where you pay up front for an ad that is triggered by search terms. More about that later.

I hope this introductory rant about building a web presence has been useful. If you would like more information I would recommend SBI! and you can contact me through our contact form on our start-cleaning-business.com website.
Can't agree more with SEO. I started building websites in the adult world. Many may not agree with that but the fact remains they are the internet pros and I learned so much about SEO from them. I built my websites back in January of this year, optimized them and now roughly 4 months later I'm listing #1 on google for multiple keywords pertaining to my location and window cleaning. You can tell very easy when you start listing high on google cause your traffic will start to spike. I receive about 1 request per day from my site and now 1/2 of my customers are telling me they found me on the web. I don't really agree with PPC and adwords accounts. They are worth the cash if you are a large company and don't have the time to SEO your site but in all honesty if you have weekend or nights free then SEO your site. If anyone needs some help or advice please let me know I'm always willing to give advice on websites..
post #13 of Old 08-21-2007, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Just a heads up for those who are starting a cleaning business.

We have created a quick start guide that includes information on using the Internet. It is free to use. Keep in mind it is for absolute beginners, peope just starting out with their cleaning business.

Yahoo's website builder service along with their ppc ads for your area, work great, as long as you optimize correctly. It is very simple to use and very affordable. Again you can read more in our quick start guide at http://www.startacleaningbusiness.biz

post #14 of Old 01-03-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Oops forgot about this thread, sorry, didn't mean to let it drop

We now have a custom cleaning business website service that is a really good deal. I'm a fulltime web entrepreneur now, but I decided to combine my 10 years of cleaning business experience and web design. The resut is a custom design system for cleaning businesses. we offer this a service to our Pro members.

I'm willing to answer any questions on the topic, but I will restate that I believe that an optimized website is the most cost effective way to get your business off the ground. It is also a great way to offer cool cutting edge services to your exisitng cleaning business.

I know of professional cleaners that keep their job pipeline plenty full just with their website. To be fair though, I have seen websites that just sit there burried deep in the searches too. It is all in the design of the site and the content included.

Anywho, Ill try to answer any questions about websites I can, here or through our contact form.

Happy 2008!

post #15 of Old 09-22-2008, 08:14 AM

back up

Last edited by sunup; 08-27-2009 at 07:00 PM.
post #16 of Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Lou

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou
Well I'll be watching this thread with great interest since I'm super computer dumb-dumb. I'm thinking of having my site redone (it appears bland to me) . But wouldn't you know I set my mind on changing it, and suddenly my phone rings and I'm told how great my site looks.

I still want more hits and customers, oh well. I must keep in mind I'm in a very unique niche.

Lou
Hoods & More
Phx, Az
602-434-1169
post #17 of Old 09-25-2008, 07:58 PM

You should really get your site redone. Not so much reworked on the looks. But I looked over some of your code and honestly I stopped after about 1 min. Reason being you have no keywords in the site at all. So I dont see how you can be getting any traffic. I'm sure you are not ranking in google for anything pertaining to what your company does.
But thats ok. All that can be fixed if you find a good web guy/gal. Being in a niche is GREAT, it allows you to narrow down your keywords and search phrases so that when a potential customer does come to your site you know they are buying. Or at least looking for a service like the one you are offering. No need to sell someone circles when they are looking for squares. Also for now on, you want to use a WWW in front of your site name ANYPLACE you type that link in. Reason being if you are using software to look over your web stats you will see two listings one with the WWW and one without. It gets confusing and you can't really see 100% what your stats are. Nothing will be correct so reading them will be a waste of time. I use google for my stats and they also help you in changing some of that stuff like the www issue. But the main thing you need to make sure is that the site is html valid if not then google or any other search engine is not going to spider your site. Meaning they will not list it. The spider will over time, not even look at your site and thats really bad. Good luck too you. Make sure you learn a little about building a web presence, this way when you hire a company or person you will know you are getting what you paid for. Don't go crazy with paying either. This is not 10 years ago where webmasters were getting 7 grand for 1 site. Look around on some "FREELANCE" sites you can post a job requirement or even better ask a neighbors kid or one of your own. If they can't build the site they will know someone who can. For pennies.
post #18 of Old 09-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Lou

Thanks, most of what you informed me of went over my head (way over) I have no idea what a spider is. Wouldn't know a "code" if I was staring at it. I do use goggle analytics so I know I get just over a hundred hits a month. But that's the extent of my knowledge.

Lou
Hoods & More
Phx, Az
602-434-1169
post #19 of Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Thanks, most of what you informed me of went over my head (way over) I have no idea what a spider is. Wouldn't know a "code" if I was staring at it. I do use goggle analytics so I know I get just over a hundred hits a month. But that's the extent of my knowledge.
Well you dont need to know it right? You own the business and like myself I'm sure smart enough to know farm it out. That's where you will get the best bang for your buck. Analytics is a great start, that's what I and many others use. Great tool, great start. I'll try and make this simple for everyone.

A spider is a little internet program (Like a robot), that is programmed to just run all over the internet. This spider surfs the internet constantly 24/7/365. It reads your internet pages. It does not read the page itself as you and I see it while we're on it. But it reads the code (program) your browser [internet explorer, aol, firefox, etc] uses to display the pages. If the code is not correct, the spider will see this and over time bypass your page. It will report back to google or other search engines that there is something wrong with the site. In some cases google may think your site contains spyware an it will place you on a list. If your site hits that list it's very hard to get it off. But those cases are rare but do happen. So it's important to make sure the code you have written for your website is correct. You can do this at

http://validator.w3.org/
post #20 of Old 09-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Lou

oh man I appreciate the help your trying to provide but that link only increased my confusion

Lou
Hoods & More
Phx, Az
602-434-1169

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode