Search Engine Myths - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-20-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Search Engine Myths

Here's the reality of things - people at Google are SMART. Smart enough to have gotten past the ploys of links exchanges, link farms, link whatevers.

Yes, INBOUND LINKS are the biggest thing that counts for you in Google. But it's not Joe's crappy site linking to your crappy site from his 'links' page. Actually, Google sees a page with a whole bunch of outbound links, you're more likely to get penalized, if not just ignored. I see the posts on here 'hey, let's trade links', and this just needs to be cleared up.

You're not getting one thing, for sure, which is better ranking.

The only, ONLY way to get good rankings for your business is by having content more relevant than others for the same subject. So, if you have a Website for your cleaning business, being on the first page of Google - small chance.

If you want to go beyond what the greedy voice in your head tells you, to believe the hype, then put in some effort.

Get a site set up that you'll regularly add content to. Be smart about NOT having a bunch of outbound links on your site, and NOT putting your site on other peoples' silly 'links' pages.

Also have patience. For the first three to six months you'll just be sitting in Google's sandbox anyway, till the grand masters may deem you legit for public display.

Oh, and ... Google Local. GET. YOURSELF. A. GOOGLE. LOCAL. ACCOUNT. It's free, and it can get you some serious results.

Read everything Google says, follow the instructions (seriously, I have seen so many people screw up the most obvious things on Google Local by not following directions).

If you set up your address information properly, do a decent site, update relevant local content once in a while, you'll be on there before you know it. Just be ware of anybody selling you anything. Maybe they are right, and maybe they just want a buck.

FYI, I don't do search engine work for third parties. So if you have questions, shoot, just don't expect me to run your online advertising for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-20-2008, 07:23 PM

The sandbox is a myth. Its been debunked by Matt Cutts whom is pretty much the goto authority on everything Google. Google has spam filtering in place. People that believe in the sandbox and attest to its existing have not followed Google's Webmaster guidelines.

Links from relevant websites always have value. I do agree with you that most people's "Links Page" have no Page Rank and therefore pass on little juice. It won't hurt you though and Google definitely counts those links.

As important as the linkbacks are, the link text you use is of great value. If you trade links with someone, have them use text that you are trying to rank for versus just linking your URL. Pressure Washing Newtown Square is better than www.pressure-pros.com You can change your rank overnight utilizing this properly.

I agree with you 100% about the way your page is written. Content is king. One way to stay ahead of the game is to analyze top ranking websites for a certain keyword and then use a keyword density analyzer.

The title of your page is CRUCIAL. I see so many websites with the title for their page as either their company name or, worse yet as "HOME". Just changing your title can also have very quick impact on your ranking.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #3 of Old 10-20-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

The sandbox is definitely a subject of debate, in some of my (fairly extensive experience) optimizing new sites for large clients new products, all things point to its existence.

Also: http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050920-094454 - at the very least, it's definitely more than a myth. Some serious players in the game agree that the sandbox is quite real. There isn't one authority on the subject of SEO who isn't somewhere well disputed by other equally accomplished individuals. It's the nature of the game - and sandbox or not, a new URL is going to have weak and volatile rankings, unless it's in a few specific categories (ie. news item with strong inbound link).

In either case though, page titles are no longer particularly key, unless there's not any other ranking factor in play. Also, links from pages with a lot of outbound links in best case have no effect, if they're large enough to be quantified as link farms, can cause severe penalties. Some guys in this line of work actually use the practice to cause Google to blacklist legitimate content by adding sites to link farms. I'd strongly dissuade people from the practice of seeking links on outbound heavy pages (unless we're talking specific sites like DMOZ or the paid Yahoo directory).

Age of URL, frequency with which content is updated, traffic, and quality inbound links (most importantly) most significantly rank.

I'm not flat out disputing anything, as SEO is by its nature a bit of a guessing game, and guys much smarter and more accomplished than I still argue about many of the finer points. I do get paid nicely on occasion by some Fortune 500 clients for successful work in this area, so while I may (often) be wrong, my stand points are not just based on repeating other peoples opinions and theory, but practice and recent experience.

My points are referring to the nature of many of the posts in this sub forum, which will most definitely lead people to chase their tails. :-) Our only goal here is to help each other get more business, hopefully my (free and unsolicited) suggestions are taken only as such.

Pressure-pros.com for instance, I'd suggest a much stronger focus on your geographical areas with your keywords / content. Tighten that up, add some pages with more city/county/region specific content mentioned, update those meta tags (no more than five or so different at the most per page), link it to Google Local, and you'll start picking up some better local rankings.

It's all about picking battles you can win. A keyword like "pressure cleaning", a tall order. Is it really something that we can expect to get traction for? Interestingly enough it's definitely the common thought process, so if you are the one person to really focus on localizing your keywords, you'll have the potential to really dominate local search.

Even AdWords may be worth a look, some of those local keywords, while not a big traffic source, might be going at the minimum bid - add the free Google Analytics, define a goal, quantify the results ... investing an ongoing two hours a week can yield a nice payoff over time!

If you want some more details/suggestions, drop me a line.

Last edited by wayandrs; 10-21-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-21-2008, 04:33 PM

I think they use to use the sand box, but not any more...

Carpet Cleaning Austin
post #5 of Old 10-21-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

As long as we maximize our Google potential to get the most leads, I'm ok with whatever the case may be. :-)
post #6 of Old 10-21-2008, 04:40 PM

Amen to that!

I am still a HUGE fan of back links!!!

I think they work best, want to trade?? :o)

Austin Air Duct Cleaning
post #7 of Old 12-02-2008, 05:32 AM

Yes I totally agree with your points, keep posting
post #8 of Old 05-26-2009, 05:16 AM

It is definately getting tougher to rank but still should still be possible for a local cleaner to hit first page of Google for search terms that combine their 'area' and their 'service' (depends on the size of your city though).

As PressurePros suggests having your keywords in the text of your incoming links is the key.

You can actually create a lot of Google juice for your site by using some of the many Web 2.0 sites that have sprung up over the last few years such as Squidoo, Blogger (and other free blogging platforms), Hub Pages and article directories such as Ezinearticles.com. Link them together (not reciprocally) and then link them in to your site. They have a bit of a learning curve and the toughest part is that you have to write some content/articles.

There are many directories that you can submit to but these links are pretty worthless in the eyes of Google these days (local directories could still be good though).

For reviews of some of the top start a cleaning business guides visit -

www.cleaningforprofit.com

Last edited by SSutherland; 05-26-2009 at 05:17 AM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of Old 06-04-2009, 04:53 AM

Agree on some of the points but backlink powerful element of SE.
post #10 of Old 11-05-2009, 02:38 AM

free bca training

jsr solution the software developing company is going to organize an entrance test for free software training. the test is held on 14 November 2009 at quest institute of Chandigarh mohali (landra) . this test is absolutely free. and the students who will pass out this examination will get free software training.after the training our company will also assure to give placement on an nice salery package. for the registrations please visit following link:-
free bca training
post #11 of Old 11-05-2009, 04:13 AM

LOL BCA??
Ponstin backlinks!!

Carpet Cleaning Austin
post #12 of Old 11-06-2009, 03:44 AM

I disagree slightly, yes link farms, reciprocal links (to non relevant) sites = devalued.

If it was a big waste of time, directories would not rank as high as they do.

If you're exchanging links with a relevant site, and both are not link stuffing into a page, you have nothing to worry about.

It's when you see a link page with tons of non-relevant links that just do not make sense and without any content to back it up.

As there are many sites that rank very high (usually #1)... IE: "Top 50 wordpress plugins" (just searched on google)
http://www.quickonlinetips.com/archi...ower-blogging/

That pops up... All links are followed. PR on that page is 3. Main page PR is a 6.

All those links are relevant to that page... and it ranks #1 on google. So be sure to have a description (content). I think the most important thing is if you have links... you have content that follows it.

Aqualux Carpet Cleaning
10777 Turbeville Dr, #100 Dallas, TX 75243 | 214-607-8562
Carpet Cleaning Dallas | Carpet Cleaning Services
post #13 of Old 11-23-2009, 04:04 AM

the sad box is still there... it is very hard for new sites to rank well on google today as it was before.
post #14 of Old 12-27-2009, 04:05 PM

Amen to that op! linking is pointless, people swapping links are being so niave, google are making billions a year, have some really smart people, do you not think they have made something to detect false link exchanges? it's so stupid to think exchanging links will be anything more then a quick boost now, but it'll come back and bite you when you least expect it and when you really need to stay up where you are on serp. why would google give you a boost in pagerank from link exchanges? why do they do that? once you can realise why, you'll realise why they'll punish you or just give you no benefit to link exchanging when you do it falsly. if you can't be bothered to google why they give links to other sites a better pagerank, it's because its a sign of trust to the site one links to, so when you link to them you're saying hey everyone, this person is trustworthy, go try them out, but then when people realise the person you link to is rubbish/not trustworthy, and you only said to trust them so that they say it back, it makes you look bad. that exactly what linking to one another is and why it's pointless to do in a false way. if you buy from a shop online and have a good experience, you might link to them and say they were a great shop, google sees the link and inmcrease the sites serp as people are saying they're good, this gives better results for google as they show sites that are recommended, and they get more from advertising.
post #15 of Old 02-07-2010, 07:11 AM

reciprocal links are pointless, the only links that matter are from PR pages 1 or above, linking to spammy websites can even harm you
post #16 of Old 02-22-2010, 10:43 PM

The key is relevancy. Do your work in areas about what your site ,or specific page, is about. A good mix of article marketing and backlink creation can do wonders.
post #17 of Old 03-17-2010, 04:02 PM

local directories

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSutherland View Post
It is definately getting tougher to rank but still should still be possible for a local cleaner to hit first page of Google for search terms that combine their 'area' and their 'service' (depends on the size of your city though).

As PressurePros suggests having your keywords in the text of your incoming links is the key.

You can actually create a lot of Google juice for your site by using some of the many Web 2.0 sites that have sprung up over the last few years such as Squidoo, Blogger (and other free blogging platforms), Hub Pages and article directories such as Ezinearticles.com. Link them together (not reciprocally) and then link them in to your site. They have a bit of a learning curve and the toughest part is that you have to write some content/articles.

There are many directories that you can submit to but these links are pretty worthless in the eyes of Google these days (local directories could still be good though).
Hi, I have to say that submitting to directories is still very much worth the effort as far as getting into the Google 7-pack. Just my 2-cents!

Have a great day!

Kit

Start a commercial office cleaning janitorial business
post #18 of Old 06-12-2010, 04:38 PM

The company that built my website, INTUIT, CHARGES ME...

$150 A MONTH, ostensibly $50 a month to host the sight,and $100 a month fpr SEO, Search Engine Optimization. This fee also includes [WEB LISTINGS] sending my website info to other directories and search engines i.e GOOGLE,YAHOO,BING etc.
My site has been up for about 4 to 5 months.
About 2 months ago I received a phone call from USA directory saying they would guarantee me first page on GOOGLE for $75 a month. The first 2 months would be free. I started getting a much better response in the last week or two; but I don't know if this positive occurance is because of my SEO OR USA directory.
As you mentioned, every body wants a piece of the pie, and be careful.
I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.
Thanks, SHAMPOOSTEAM
post #19 of Old 06-29-2010, 01:46 PM

if you will invest in some searching engines google would b the best

Sylvia
http://bbcleaningservice.com
post #20 of Old 07-05-2010, 12:43 AM

The truth (my point of view)

Some people say "thousands of inbound links are the best", other say "just content, content, content".
My experience shows that you need a little of both, renew the content every month (at least 50% of the content of the main page), place links ONLY in related websites. For example if you have a house cleaning company you have to place the link in windows cleaning, carpet cleaning, cleaning supplies, and other related websites.
Some directories with high PR5 or PR6 want U$99 to place a link in their directories..............but they do NOT mention that the only page with PR6 is the MAIN PAGE and you link goes in a inner page with PR0.

Forget Directories for SEO, but..............You can place a good link to your site because maybe a human go to your website trough that directory.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode