So now I have a web site observation - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-28-2011, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

So now I have a web site observation

Over the many years I've been in business I've seen so many people want a web site. So, they either spend the time figuring out how to make one themself or they hire someone to make it for them.

It's all finished... looking GREAT... ok, some not so great but hey, it's a web site...

Here is the thing that puzzles me... most people never do anything with the web site!!! How do they expect people to find them? You can't just make a web site and expect for the calls to be rolling in by next week! You have to spend many hours promoting your web site.

My favorite answer when I ask this question is.... it costs too much to have someone take care of the web site for me. Well then why in the hell did you make the web site????

By the way... in no way am I saying that if you make a web site and take it to the 1st page of google will the calls come rolling in. I'm not even saying a web site is the best way to get customers.... I'm just making a conversation about web sites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 04-28-2011, 08:19 AM
J4K

Today a web site is a very good way to get customers. Much better than the yellow pages. Our top two ways of obtaining new customers is referrals and our web site.
But as you can see- http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid...b6d9524ba4c243
I do spend some money to make sure we rank high.
post #3 of Old 04-28-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
It's all finished... looking GREAT... ok, some not so great but hey, it's a web site...
I'm the polar opposite of this thinking, I feel a poorly made website can be just as bad as not having a website. After all, a website is your online business card(so to speak), if it's poorly made, it'll be like making your business card on toilet paper, who in the world is going to call you when your number is on a sheet of toilet paper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4K View Post
Today a web site is a very good way to get customers. Much better than the yellow pages. Our top two ways of obtaining new customers is referrals and our web site.
But as you can see- http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid...b6d9524ba4c243
I do spend some money to make sure we rank high.
Congrats J4K, obviously you understand the benefits of being #1 on google. What % would you say your business gets from google.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 04-28-2011, 03:43 PM
J4K

I would say we get about 40% from web searches
post #5 of Old 04-28-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4K View Post
I would say we get about 40% from web searches
wow, that's pretty significant. I have a partner that's a pro when it comes to these things and it's mind boggling to know that there's people out there that don't understand the concept of having good online presence.

I bet your online business doesn't get many price shoppers, or am I way off?
post #6 of Old 04-29-2011, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

You 2 missed my point. You could have THE best web site ever made.... but if you do nothing to make it rank... who is gonna know except YOU? And I have seen most people either never do anything with their web site they spent so much money or time to make... or... they are all gung-ho for the 1st year with it then stop doing anything with it and it falls off the face of the earth. Or, some have the worst site on the internet yet they spend money and or time to make it rank high... for what???? It sucks!!! No sense in making a sucky site stay on page 1. So while you both thought you disagreed sith me, you in fact agreed with me. I'm just asking why people do it? Does it just make you feel more accomplished when in fact it is really doing nothing to have a GREAT site that is on page 4,206,037 of google? Or does it make you feel great to have a site that sucks on the 1st page yet all it does it net no business because it sucks because you tried to do it yourself and you have no earthly idea what your doing?

I'm just askin.....??
post #7 of Old 04-29-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
You 2 missed my point. You could have THE best web site ever made.... but if you do nothing to make it rank... who is gonna know except YOU? And I have seen most people either never do anything with their web site they spent so much money or time to make... or... they are all gung-ho for the 1st year with it then stop doing anything with it and it falls off the face of the earth. Or, some have the worst site on the internet yet they spend money and or time to make it rank high... for what???? It sucks!!! No sense in making a sucky site stay on page 1. So while you both thought you disagreed sith me, you in fact agreed with me. I'm just asking why people do it? Does it just make you feel more accomplished when in fact it is really doing nothing to have a GREAT site that is on page 4,206,037 of google? Or does it make you feel great to have a site that sucks on the 1st page yet all it does it net no business because it sucks because you tried to do it yourself and you have no earthly idea what your doing?

I'm just askin.....??
I didn't miss your point, I agree with it, however, disagreed with your statement of "just having" a website was a "good" thing.

Point being, you and I and very few may understand the TRUE benefits of having google presence, and those that DO understand the benefits, probably get fed up w/the whole situation because of all the scammers out there. Some may hear of stories of people paying hundreds if not thousands of dollars and get to page 2 after 6 months and because the phone isn't ringing, they drop the campaign.

There's a plethora of reasons, but, why burn your braincells over it? If owners in the industry or ANY industry won't start to realize what real SEO can do for them, then by all means, it's less competition for you and I.

Back to your point, yes, JUST a well designed website won't cut it. Just as if you have a great business card, but always leave them at home. People can't see them unless you make the effort and put it out there. Having a great page and quality ranks is the BEST route to take.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode