What is better - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-07-2006, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

What is better

What is the difference between .net or .com and or others. Which is better for what application of a website? I'm curious and want answers.

Michigan Exhaust Cleaning
Your First Step in Restaurant Duct Fire Prevention
Dave Ott 800-861-6475

Last edited by Dave Ott; 07-07-2006 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling I think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-07-2006, 04:54 PM

Since .com is the most popular, it is usually better to get a domain with a .com address. People tend to type a name and add .com to it when looking for a site. If you have .biz or .net then you might get missed.

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
post #3 of Old 07-07-2006, 07:21 PM

People usually assume .com when they go to a website and I always try to register a .com name for any business I run. In fact I will change the name if I can only find a .net or .whatever open.

There are a lot of people who have run successful businesses with .net addresses but I always feel that your giving whoever owns the .com address free traffic because someone will hear about you and type in the wrong thing.

There was talk of a .pro address that sounded interesting. Not sure if that is open for registration or not. Usually weird names like that are more expensive.

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-07-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ott View Post
What is the difference between .net or .com and or others. Which is better for what application of a website? I'm curious and want answers.
.com is the best, most folks will default to that when typing in an address...though .net is becoming more common. The rest are ok, but you risk someone not getting the right address when they type in your address and can't recall if it was .com, .net, .biz, .us, etc etc.
post #5 of Old 07-07-2006, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Okay that's what I was thinking. Just having to play the name thing again so we can get the site back up.

Dave Ott 800-861-6475
post #6 of Old 07-07-2006, 08:10 PM

Here is a good tool to help find domain names: http://instantdomainsearch.com/

With this tool you can quickly see if a name is taken or not without loading a bunch of pages.

Nathan

post #7 of Old 07-07-2006, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Thats neat. I get mine through godaddy. I accidentally let one expire since I was reworking the site. I was told I would have to buy it back for 80.00. That's okay we are changing alot of things anyways with the company.

Dave Ott 800-861-6475
post #8 of Old 07-07-2006, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Okay no more Godaddy for me. They just suck now. No customer support at all. You could complain or ask a question and all you get is thankyou for calling have a great day would you like to buy something else mentallity. Okay I need to register new Domains and also find some hosting for my site again. List them for me please.

Where to buy domains

where to get site hosted with a good dedictaed server that doesn't sneeze alot when you need the site up.

Dave Ott 800-861-6475
post #9 of Old 07-08-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Okay no more Godaddy for me. They just suck now. No customer support at all. You could complain or ask a question and all you get is thankyou for calling have a great day would you like to buy something else mentallity. Okay I need to register new Domains and also find some hosting for my site again. List them for me please.

Where to buy domains

where to get site hosted with a good dedictaed server that doesn't sneeze alot when you need the site up.
I believe I used www.register.com to do my domains. I'm sure Nathan can point you to some good ones too.
post #10 of Old 07-08-2006, 11:52 AM

Mine is hosted through Yahoo.

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
post #11 of Old 07-08-2006, 10:00 PM

I've never had any problems with Godaddy and I've had to call their customer support a ton of times. Also, I have over 100 domain names with them.

Anyways, the big three registrars are Godaddy.com, Register.com, and NetworkSolutions.com. After that you get a lot of smaller guys who probably have worse customer service. Godaddy.com is the cheapest. There are probably more good options out there I just don't have experience with them.

For hosting, you do not need a dedicated server unless you do something more than your business website. A shared plan with a company would be fine.

Yahoo has some OK hosting plans and they give you free domain registration. They are one of the few that I would think would be OK to both host with and have your domain with them but who knows.

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/hosting.php

Nathan

post #12 of Old 07-11-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

I just get upset with GODADDY when you talk to customer service and they all have that I really am not listening to you, but let me tell you I am sorry off this pre written sheet we read from.

Now this hosting for free when you buy a domain name with the ads. Is this good or a pain, and does it put the ads where ever it feels they should be.

Dave Ott 800-861-6475
post #13 of Old 07-11-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Now this hosting for free when you buy a domain name with the ads. Is this good or a pain, and does it put the ads where ever it feels they should be.
Is that the Yahoo plan? Where did you see this?

I wouldn't do anything that required you to have an ad on your business site. That could make you look really cheap to your customers.

Try this: http://pages.google.com/

It's free, doesn't have ads, and you can point a real domain to it. It's not the best solution but if your looking for free and a webpage you can make yourself its a good choice.

Here is one I set up in about 5 mins (literally)
http://wingate.googlepages.com/

Nathan

post #14 of Old 07-11-2006, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

The website is done all 60 pages LOL I was just looking at GoDaddy because I am a sucker for reliable hosting. If you purchase a domain name they give you free hosting, but you get the relevant google ad type things like you have on here. I don't want free becasue nothing in the end is free or good. I usuall pay around 80.00 a year for hosting through GoDaddy, and now they have the free Blog and other features. I have used them for many of years now, but their preprogrammed humans in customer service sometimes irritate me.

Dave Ott 800-861-6475
post #15 of Old 07-11-2006, 10:57 PM

I don't like ad-based hosting for a business site. Hosting is so cheap these days. I've been with hypermart for three years, and never a problem. $10.00/month per hosted domain.

Do you really want a goodle ad for your competition to pop up on your website??

I just signed up for Google ads. I already have one gutter job out of the deal, after two days. Not bad. 27 displays, 2 clicks (one was me) and one phone call! I need to add more keywords, and maybe remove a couple, but at $0.38/click, it's not bad if the calls keeping coming to justify the expense. Good thing is they let you set a budget, so you don't wind up with a huge bill you didn't expect. I have mine set at $30.00/month for now, we'll see how that goes. Kinda neat.
post #16 of Old 07-11-2006, 10:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to russ s Send a message via Yahoo to russ s
not bad mike i never tried that internet stuff .... im so isolated here im not shure it would benifit what do you or yall think
post #17 of Old 07-11-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ s View Post
not bad mike i never tried that internet stuff .... im so isolated here im not shure it would benifit what do you or yall think
You never know. It costs nothing to try it, as long as you don't get the clicks. Set a low budget and see. You never know what restaurant or hotel manager is sitting in his officing in front of his computer thinking "We need a new hood cleaner/concrete cleaner/window washer" etc. You may not get the residential clicks as much as a larger city, but can't hurt to try.
post #18 of Old 07-11-2006, 11:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to russ s Send a message via Yahoo to russ s
post #19 of Old 07-11-2006, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ s View Post
i may check into that ....thanks
go to https://adwords.google.com
post #20 of Old 07-11-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williamson View Post
Yahoo has their version as well http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/ but I've always had more luck with Google.

Nathan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode