Do It Yourself { DIY } "Easy Roof Cleaning TV Special Products" - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 06-17-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Do It Yourself { DIY } "Easy Roof Cleaning TV Special Products"

Hello, this information is from:
Chuck Bergman Charlotte / Sarasota County Roof Cleaning and Pressure Washing Florida.
To start with, after 21 years of roof cleaning, I do not suggest that you do it yourself. A professional roof cleaning lasts 3-6 years and most of mine average 4-5 years. The average cost is around $300.00 - $400.00 here in SW Florida, Charlotte and Sarasota County.
That's only about 85.00 a year and that includes us buying the chemicals and doing the work properly.
But, for those who like to "do it yourself" on many around the house projects.
If you want to go up there, you may as well do it right!
Don't be fooled by the new "fad" TV specials you may see!!!
These new fad products such as "Spray and forget it" "Roof -b- Clean" {names altered} etc etc that you may see on TV or in a store or on the internet etc, have just one drawback in common. Just one!

THEY DON'T WORK. I have tried a few and other pros have tried others.

It's just more of the same old sales gimmicks, that are so prevalent nowadays, only with a bigger disappointment after you work so hard for nothing!
Powdered or condensed products can be manufactured cheaply, shipped for a few bucks.
Then they let you do all the work of mixing, renting or buying power washing machines, risking your neck, etc and then tell you to either wait a few months for results or if you complain that they don't work, they will simply say you applied it improperly.
Often too, they push their products by bashing the time tested chlorine based mixes professional roof cleaners use. WHY? Simply because gallons of chlorine mixes are not something that they can profitably sell you!

Also, part of their pitch is that their product is “green” and then they will stress how bad bleach is!
However, if you do some research you’ll soon discover that chlorine based roof cleaning is superior in both safety and effectiveness and recommended by the roofing manufacturers themselves! http://www.asphaltroofing.org/pdf/tb_217.pdf
My son and I have cleaned thousands of roofs with a 3-4% chlorine mix and no damaging pressure, since 1994
*That's how long this has been just a father and son business, but I had cleaned with this same method myself since 1991. Prior to that, I cleaned roofs with pressure washers, which, now that no pressure systems are available, is far better to avoid any pressure!
Pressure washing does do damage to roofing!
But back in those days, that's all that us roof cleaners knew how to do!

"Easy Roof Cleaning TV Special Products" require the use of a pressure washer, because without one, they do not clean your roof! With a pressure washer, you will lose 10-20% of the granules on your shingles.
Now, if you still want to try to do it yourself, the correct way, this is what you need. A 3-4% solution of Sodium Hypochlorite [ bleach / chlorine ] and a good pump up garden sprayer.
Mix the chlorine and water to reach a 3-4% chlorine solution { Chlorox is 6% } in a 5 gallon bucket, add a cup of TSP and some Dawn Dish Liquid. Fill your 2 gallon tank and be ready to make about 20-30 trips up a ladder. Roofs average 40 - 60 gallons of mix, depending on their size etc. As you spray, KEEP THE ROOF WET WITH THE MIX FOR AT LEAST 20 MINUTES IN ALL AREAS -DO NOT ALLOW DRY SPOTS TO FORM.
If you have gutters, just leave it up there on the roof and let it keep cleaning. If you don't, you have to rinse it off, or it will kill the leaves on the plants below and perhaps some plants as well.
[ We at Chuck Bergman Charlotte / Sarasota County Roof Cleaning and Pressure Washing Florida, use mixes with TSP and a professional surfactant, instead of Dawn in 100 gallon poly tanks, 12 volt pumps or air pumps, both designed with roof cleaning chemical applications in mind and 200'+ of hose, along with specially made wands and spray tips etc. We at Chuck Bergman Charlotte / Sarasota County Roof Cleaning and Pressure Washing Florida, carry tarps and sprinklers to protect plants ]
That's it!
Roof cleaning is a hard one to save $ on with "Do It Yourself" just check on the prices of chlorine you will be paying and it is dangerous to watch what you are doing, while up on a roof! You really should be a trained a professional. So do it at your own risk. But that's how you do it!

Chuck Bergman Charlotte / Sarasota Roof Cleaning and Pressure Washing.
Boca Grande and all of Charlotte and Southern Sarasota Counties in Florida.

941-698-1959
941-474-8883
941-483-3673
941-255-8600

Email: [email protected]

Serving:
Charlotte County
Englewood, Englewood East, Woodmere, Cape Haze , Charlotte Harbor, Charlotte Park, Cleveland, El JoBean, Grove City, Harbor View , Harbour Heights, Manasota Key, Morgantown, Murdock ,Peace River Shores, Pirate Harbor, Placida , Port Charlotte , Punta Gorda, Punta Gorda Beach, Punta Gorda Isles, Ridge Harbor, Rotonda , Rotonda West, Rotonda Sands, Solana, South Punta Gorda Heights, Tee Estates, Burnt Store, Tuckers Grade, Gulf Cove, South Gulf Cove, Gardens of Gulf Cove, Riverwood

================================================== ================================

Sarasota County, FL
Englewood , Englewood Beach, Laurel, Nokomis, North Port , Osprey, Southern Sarasota , Sarasota Square, Siesta Key, Venice, Osprey, Plantation, Manasota , Manasota Beach, Siesta Key, North Venice, Vamo, Casey Key, South Venice, Tarpon Point, Venice Beach , Venice Gardens, Venice Groves, Warm Mineral Springs Roof, Gulf View Estates, Jacaranda, Blackburn Point, Southwood
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 47 Par View Rd Oct 1 2010 (1).jpg (46.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2010 Shingled Roof Softwashing.jpg (90.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg AFTER CLEANING___Venice Roof 401 Johnson Ln 022 (4).jpg (42.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BEFORE CLEANING_401 Johnson Lane Venice Commercial Roof_ Building_Walks.jpg (44.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Englewood Isles.jpg (87.7 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 06-18-2011, 08:20 PM

Hey Bergman Pressure Cleaning,

Great article about Professional Roof Cleaning vs Do-It-Yourself Roof Cleaning.

Have you ever sprayed your mix over some S&F?

I had a client a few years ago that sprayed some and tried to clean their roof themselves. He said he applied it straight on the roof with a pump up sprayer.

I could see some areas where something was going on with the shingles when we sprayed it. Once the mix hit the spots where the S&F was it foamed up and cleaned like no other.

The homeowner gave me the bottle that had a little left in it and I played around with it. But nothing works like the mix you said...good ole 3-4 % of mothers milk, the LOVE baby.

Peerless Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida
(813)230-5915
Professional Shingle and Tile Tampa Roof Cleaning Blog
post #3 of Old 06-18-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Charlotte and Sarasota County Florida Roof and Pressure Washing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
Hey Bergman Pressure Cleaning,

Great article about Professional Roof Cleaning vs Do-It-Yourself Roof Cleaning.

Have you ever sprayed your mix over some S&F?

I had a client a few years ago that sprayed some and tried to clean their roof themselves. He said he applied it straight on the roof with a pump up sprayer.

I could see some areas where something was going on with the shingles when we sprayed it. Once the mix hit the spots where the S&F was it foamed up and cleaned like no other.

The homeowner gave me the bottle that had a little left in it and I played around with it. But nothing works like the mix you said...good ole 3-4 % of mothers milk, the LOVE baby.
Hello Peerless :-)
No, I have never run into that situation. I certainly wish that something so called "Green" would actually work, even close to as well as SH, last nearly as long and pose no more of a plant damage risk, but none exist to my knowledge.
I suspect that nothing is in the near future, that can replace chlorine mixes, as the best overall roof cleaning solution.
If anyone feels that something does exist, please PM me and I will go right out and buy it and try it, as I have already been doing [except for products that other roof cleaning professionals, that I know and trust, have already put to the test].
The only reason I would even care to see a usable REAL "Green" product, is to appease those customers who have been brainwashed by the "green sales folks" into believing that products labeled "GREEN" really are better.
The thing is, if a truly "green" cleaning product existed, that could clean and disintegrate algae stains like chlorine can, it would almost certainly not have been a chemical concocted to pump 30 - 60 gallon mixes onto roofs. More likely, to spray out of a little bottle in a shower on mildew. We know from all these years of use, what to expect from chlorine.
What though, of a new, untested, "green" *new on the market* so called "green chemical?
Who knows? You may end up with 3 headed frogs in your yard-or human defects? I believe, for the most part, in the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. Heck, chlorine is in our drinking water, swimming pools and laundry, we drink it, soak in it and wear clothing washed with it. Who would drink, soak or swim in a new fad "green" chemical?
NOT ME!
Anything labeled "Green" is likely to be nothing more than a new way to sell the public. Thanks for your comment!
Chuck

Last edited by Bergman Pressure Cleaning; 06-18-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 06-18-2011, 10:43 PM

Ya bro,

I know what you mean about the green stuff. Folks just do not know any better and are lead to believe they are doing mother nature a favor.

I pretty much stopped toying with mixes years ago. My buddy Frank gave me some hang tight to try and see if I liked it. I do like it great stuff!

But my mix is set using 3-4% with TSP and my additive and has been for years. I really do not understand the hype with mix?

Don't get caught up in the mix!

I have an old roof cleaning Tampa webpage that shows the sticky mix from years ago. The recipe hasn't changed in years nor have I wanted to change it. I have changed suppliers and found a very good source in the last couple years. Still pay more for the love per month than my mortgage!

Peace bro and stay safe!

(813)230-5915
post #5 of Old 06-26-2011, 08:31 PM

There are a lot of Tampa Roof Cleaning Scams we see going down all the time. One outfit was going door to door in a North Tampa Subdivision promising delayed roof cleaning results. The roof cleaning results were delayed all right, just long enough for him to rip off 1/2 of Tampa Palms.
post #6 of Old 06-26-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Ya, all the "green" Eco-Friendly" hype is no doubt a money maker for the salesman types!
Chuck
post #7 of Old 06-26-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergman Pressure Cleaning View Post
Ya, all the "green" Eco-Friendly" hype is no doubt a money maker for the salesman types!
Chuck
Actually Chuck, RCIA has a world famous expert on Algae doing research for us as we speak. This University Professor is contacted me out of the Blue, and asked me if I wanted to help him get government grant money to research the the of roof algae we battle everyday. He wants to test a totally green compound that will kill the algae, but not the plants below.
I told him how I discovered how to do it, and he agrees my way is practically unbeatable. But, my way can never be patented
And it is so simple, there is no way the US Government will allow research money for a University.
post #8 of Old 06-26-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Roof Cleaning View Post
Actually Chuck, RCIA has a world famous expert on Algae doing research for us as we speak. This University Professor is contacted me out of the Blue, and asked me if I wanted to help him get government grant money to research the the of roof algae we battle everyday. He wants to test a totally green compound that will kill the algae, but not the plants below.
I told him how I discovered how to do it, and he agrees my way is practically unbeatable. But, my way can never be patented
And it is so simple, there is no way the US Government will allow research money for a University.
Hi Chris, "Your way" is Apple-sause, right?
Or have you cooked up some MAD GREEN concoction in your labratory?

Gotta keep it short, the wife's yellin' at me to "SUT THAT COMPUTER DOWN!:
post #9 of Old 06-26-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergman Pressure Cleaning View Post
Hi Chris, "Your way" is Apple-sause, right?
Or have you cooked up some MAD GREEN concoction in your labratory?

Gotta keep it short, the wife's yellin' at me to "SUT THAT COMPUTER DOWN!:
Not regular Apple Sauce Chuck, we use a modified and improved version of that for cleaning roofs in tampa when immediate results are needed. The formula that cleans a roof over time with the rain is one of my inventions. I may call it "Apple Pie", since it takes time to bake
post #10 of Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 AM

That is why we have been Making Roof Cleaning Safer in Tampa and educating the consumers of criminals in the industry. Who wants a drug addicted con man spraying questionable chemicals on their roof?

(813)230-5915
post #11 of Old 06-27-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
That is why we have been Making Roof Cleaning Safer in Tampa and educating the consumers of criminals in the industry. Who wants a drug addicted con man spraying questionable chemicals on their roof?
That's for sure Got to watch out for those roof cleaning companies spraying a 70 percent Chlorine solution Thomas
post #12 of Old 06-27-2011, 04:32 PM

Must be tough times when you are spamming the serps with this crap. lol too easy man...

(813)230-5915
post #13 of Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Must be tough times when you are spamming the serps with this crap. lol too easy man...
No Thomas Peerless, it must be tough times when you stoop to calling the person responsible for teaching you much about roof cleaning a "Drug Addict and a Con Man". That shows desperation and disrespect. My Men are out cleaning roofs,, as we speak. We will do 5 roofs today in a Tampa subdivision.
We worked both Sunday and Saturday, we are so busy cleaning roofs lately, the rain has us backed up. I will be teaching a class at the Tampa Roundtable that costs 125.00 and is booking solid. NCE gets 25.00 and I get 100.00 so do the math ?
We already have 50 people flying down to Tampa to hear me speak Thomas, and I will be surprised if we don't have 100 people by showtime.
Do the Math ? 10 Grand for a few hours work that will be a recorded video I can sell again and again. In fact, several have asked for the roof cleaning training video already
post #14 of Old 06-27-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
No Thomas Peerless, it must be tough times when you stoop to calling the person responsible for teaching you much about roof cleaning a "Drug Addict and a Con Man". That shows desperation and disrespect. My Men are out cleaning roofs,, as we speak. We will do 5 roofs today in a Tampa subdivision.
We worked both Sunday and Saturday, we are so busy cleaning roofs lately, the rain has us backed up. I will be teaching a class at the Tampa Roundtable that costs 125.00 and is booking solid. NCE gets 25.00 and I get 100.00 so do the math ?
We already have 50 people flying down to Tampa to hear me speak Thomas, and I will be surprised if we don't have 100 people by showtime.
Do the Math ? 10 Grand for a few hours work that will be a recorded video I can sell again and again. In fact, several have asked for the roof cleaning training video already
Man you have made it big...

Case in Point.

Good Day appleman! That was easier than it was 5 years ago.

(813)230-5915

Last edited by Peerless; 06-27-2011 at 07:54 PM.
post #15 of Old 06-27-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Man you have made it big...

Case in Point.

Good Day appleman! That was easier than it was 5 years ago.
Making my customers happy, and the respect of others in the roof cleaning business are what really matter, at the end of the day. Unsolicited Comments, like the ones right below this Tampa Roof Cleaning Scams post mean a lot to me. The success I enjoy in the roof cleaning business is directly related to my Karma. Because I have helped others, I get helped, and enjoy success. That's my "secret"
post #16 of Old 06-28-2011, 07:30 AM

I guess it all depends on how you define success appleman.

Making roof cleaning safer in Tampa was as easy as making pie, surrounding myself with quality like minded people is a different story. I guess I have my health, my kids, wife that can stand me long enough to get old and grey with and my friends.

guess I have good karma?
even if I do not believe in karma?

hey, could someone leave a nice anonymous comment on my blog for me to pretty please ?

where is that easy button?

(813)230-5915
post #17 of Old 06-28-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I dont' think I can come to hear you speak your roof cleaning wisdom....

Maybe since you are making so much money off of the rest of your friends you help you will complete your teaching to me with a free video?

(813)230-5915
post #18 of Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

YOU GUYS STOLE MY THREAD! :-)
I don't know you Peerless and certainly have no problem with you. However, I raised 5 kids and I can't remember how many times I started settling arguments with "Well, you started it"
That's the way I see it Peerless, with you and Apple Roof Cleaning, YOU STARTED IT WITH HIM.
I have been doing this probably longer than Apple Roof Cleaning, BUT::: I have learned a LOT from Chris Tucker. I wouldn't be surprised but that you have too.
So, how about apologizing for starting this up with him and in the future, don't use my posts as a fighting stage?
I don't want to carry this on as an argument with you. It was my thread and I'd like it not to look to the public, like I am on a Fight Forum. I am a professional, as I'm sure you are and I know Chris Tucker to be.
Thanks and I hope you understand and agree.
Chuck
post #19 of Old 06-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Bergman,

You are correct, this is unprofessional and helps nothing.
My sincerest apologies to you and the board readers.

P.S> When I commented about drug addicted criminals spraying questionable chemicals on customers roofs, I was speaking about the party mentioned in apples linked blog post. IDK why he took it so personal. From there, I just wanted to defend my good name.

Anyways, let me know how can make it up to you? I noticed after all of this time you do not have a website, I could help you make one? Your time would be much more rewarded pushing your own website....

(813)230-5915
post #20 of Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bergman,

You are correct, this is unprofessional and helps nothing.
My sincerest apologies to you and the board readers.

P.S> When I commented about drug addicted criminals spraying questionable chemicals on customers roofs, I was speaking about the party mentioned in apples linked blog post. IDK why he took it so personal. From there, I just wanted to defend my good name.

Anyways, let me know how can make it up to you? I noticed after all of this time you do not have a website, I could help you make one? Your time would be much more rewarded pushing your own website....
Thanks! I appreciate your good attitude. I couldn't help but speak up in Chris Tucker's { Apple Roof Cleaning Tampa } behalf, he has helped so many people learn to clean roofs properly, that I feel he deserves to be treated with respect.
I appreciate your kind offer!

I have free websites, but I hadn't wanted to start paying for them, unless it was necessary. I have 22 years of repeat customers in my area, so I don't need an awful lot of new work-but I do need some!
All my online advertising has been free for the last 7 or 8 years, which is about how long I have known how to use a computer?
I have not done a very good job of making the free websites either, because I am "Computer Illiterate" and I get confused.
If you do a Google Search "Roof Cleaning Charlotte County" or "Roof Cleaning Sarasota County" or "Roof Cleaning Englewood, Florida" "Roof Cleaning Venice,Fl" "Roof Cleaning Port Charlotte,Fl" "Pressure Washing" in those same areas, I would be interested in how I rate on Google?
From my computer, I'm all over the 1st Google page, but I don't know if that's true, if done from other places, besides my home???
These are free websites I have, along with many blogs and articles.

http://swfloridaroofrestoration.webs.com/
http://pressurecleaningbychuckbergman.webs.com/
I would be interested in hearing what you think of my online presence, after doing those searches? Does it look like I should have a website, as you offered to help me out with? Any tips would be appreciated and thank you again for your kind offer!
Chuck

Tags
florida , pressure washing , roof cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode