"Quick And Dirty" Way To Keep Roofs Cleaner Longer - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 12-10-2006, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

"Quick And Dirty" Way To Keep Roofs Cleaner Longer

http://www.borax.com/borates2g.html

Many are under the mistaken impression that simply cleaning a roof with TSP/Chlorine/Water is "treating" the roof, and somehow "preventing" the algae from growing back.

Lets take a quick peek at what really happens ?

The Sodium Hypochlorite releases Chlorine, it cleans the roof, and most of it is evaporated in 24 hours, sooner if it is hot outside.

What is left behind is sodium chloride, commonly called Table Salt.

Believe it or not, common Salt is a Biostat.
A Biostat prevents plant growth, as opposed to a biocide that kills a plant.

But, soon the salt is scattered by the wind, or washed off by the rain, or the cleaning contractor.

BORAX on the other hand is much longer lasting.

Ever heard of Boric Acid ?

Before we started using what we do now, a chemist we hired to do consulting for us suggested it's use.

You do not need much, 1/2 8 ounce cup per total gallon of mix.

It seemed to make it clean better too.

I have also field tested with, and w/o Borax, and found about a 3 to 6 month improvement in roofs staying clean with it.

It's cheap like TSP, it works, and will give you an "edge" on your competition.

The picture below is me spraying a roof.
This is an OLD picture, and we were using Borax then, and of course, TSP.

See how wide that pattern is ?
This is because the Gun we use places a nozzle farther away from the roof, giving it more time to develop it's pattern.

Here is the truck powering that gun/hose combo.

Yep, it's a BOX TRUCK .....
Notice those Titan Stainless Reels, and the AG hose?

BTW, that is "ONLY" a 25 degree nozzle I am using.

25 degrees is plenty, IF it has enough time to fan out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof cleaning picture.jpg (46.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Non%20Pressure%20Roof%20Cleaning%20Truck.jpg (63.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Apple Roof Cleaning; 12-10-2006 at 11:51 PM. Reason: picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 12-12-2006, 10:56 PM

so why do you use tsp instead of borax

A & J POWER WASHING
Keeping Your Investment Looking Brand New
410-341-4998
http://www.aandjpowerwashing.com
post #3 of Old 12-12-2006, 10:57 PM

or where you use both

A & J POWER WASHING
Keeping Your Investment Looking Brand New
410-341-4998
http://www.aandjpowerwashing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 12-13-2006, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A & J POWERWASHING View Post
so why do you use tsp instead of borax
I have always used TSP AJ.
I heard about Borax from a Chemist who suggested it's addition to my mix.
One can clean a roof with simply water and chlorine w/o any TSP or Borax.
And, for those that do not use TSP, just Water and Chlorine, they can add a little Borax to the mix if they like.

Borax just provides a little longer lasting protection for the roof from Algae re growth, that is all.

It also seemed to clean a bit better too, but that is subjective.

The mind can play tricks on you sometime, LOL

I just found this about Borax in a search

Borax is a naturally occurring mineral (Hydrated sodium borate, Na2B4O7 -10H2O), soluble in water. Borax can deodorize, inhibit the growth of mildew and mold, boost the cleaning power of soap or detergent, remove stains, and can be used with attractants such as sugar to kill cockroaches.

Last edited by Apple Roof Cleaning; 12-13-2006 at 12:16 AM. Reason: added info I found on Internet
post #5 of Old 12-31-2006, 07:11 PM

TSP and other chems

TSP is not a new secret, although it may be considered one in some areas. The benefit to TSP is that it can be applied in a light mist, instead of a high volume low pressure (HVLP) tip application system which normally causes drippage over the edge of the roof. TSP can be used without a normal heavy rinse. Just mist, wait, mist, wait, mist, wait, most 3000ft tile roofs can be cleaned with ZERO pressure using TSP and about 4 hours. A direct application system is neccessary as TSP will not work pulled @ 5 to 1. I still recommend that few cups of laundry detergent, and for the beginners...a couple gallons of chlorine is ok (that will help you clean as the detergent bonds the chem to the surface).
If you know what you're doing, chlorine can be used in ANY application safely. I do however, recommend a NON chlorine cleaner for asphalt/fiberglass shingle roofs, as my research does show considerable ware from chlorine. (of course, Roof-Brite Inc uses "Roof-Brite", exclusive to us). Keep in mind, that it's NOT (despite what most people think) good to ELIMINATE the use of chlorine... it's better to eliminate IDIOTS who misuse it. Without chlorine, or a STRONG biocide, you will NOT kill mold (go ahead and argue it .. of course I don't argue with anyone, but go ahead, you'll find out it's true) spores and ALL existing biological growth. Detergents, cleaners, soaps, etc are great for shingle roofs (guys who use those non chlorine cleaners on tile roofs are struggling unless using TSP or close), but a fungicide must be used to kill the living bacteria...otherwise the roof looks clean, but it's still CRAWLING WITH FUNGUS
post #6 of Old 01-01-2007, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Brite View Post
TSP is not a new secret, although it may be considered one in some areas. The benefit to TSP is that it can be applied in a light mist, instead of a high volume low pressure (HVLP) tip application system which normally causes drippage over the edge of the roof. TSP can be used without a normal heavy rinse. Just mist, wait, mist, wait, mist, wait, most 3000ft tile roofs can be cleaned with ZERO pressure using TSP and about 4 hours. A direct application system is neccessary as TSP will not work pulled @ 5 to 1. I still recommend that few cups of laundry detergent, and for the beginners...a couple gallons of chlorine is ok (that will help you clean as the detergent bonds the chem to the surface).
If you know what you're doing, chlorine can be used in ANY application safely. I do however, recommend a NON chlorine cleaner for asphalt/fiberglass shingle roofs, as my research does show considerable ware from chlorine. (of course, Roof-Brite Inc uses "Roof-Brite", exclusive to us). Keep in mind, that it's NOT (despite what most people think) good to ELIMINATE the use of chlorine... it's better to eliminate IDIOTS who misuse it. Without chlorine, or a STRONG biocide, you will NOT kill mold (go ahead and argue it .. of course I don't argue with anyone, but go ahead, you'll find out it's true) spores and ALL existing biological growth. Detergents, cleaners, soaps, etc are great for shingle roofs (guys who use those non chlorine cleaners on tile roofs are struggling unless using TSP or close), but a fungicide must be used to kill the living bacteria...otherwise the roof looks clean, but it's still CRAWLING WITH FUNGUS
Is Roof Brite associated with Heefernan ?
It is SO confusing ?
post #7 of Old 01-03-2007, 02:19 PM

heeferwho??

"American Roof-Brite" is a company I've heard of and seen alot of, but I'm not sure if that's who you're talking about. Gary Boyd(the dealership owner/inventor of "roof brite" cleaning agent) won a law suit against another "roof brite" name company, I don't know if they later became "american roof brite" or not. I work for the Palm Coast location. I used to own "MightyMike's Low Pressure Exterior Cleaning".
Also, thank you apple, I checked out some of those elec pumps you posted. I still stick with gas power apps, or run my chems str8 through my injector, but it's nice to know there's other options available.
post #8 of Old 01-03-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Brite View Post
"American Roof-Brite" is a company I've heard of and seen alot of, but I'm not sure if that's who you're talking about. Gary Boyd(the dealership owner/inventor of "roof brite" cleaning agent) won a law suit against another "roof brite" name company, I don't know if they later became "american roof brite" or not. I work for the Palm Coast location. I used to own "MightyMike's Low Pressure Exterior Cleaning".
Also, thank you apple, I checked out some of those elec pumps you posted. I still stick with gas power apps, or run my chems str8 through my injector, but it's nice to know there's other options available.
Heefernan was the original American Roof Brite owner.
It is SO confusing ...

I like Gas pumps better too, I just post about electric pumps for those not into roof cleaning as much as some are.
post #9 of Old 03-22-2011, 09:21 AM

This is some good information as I have been search for a good roof cleaning mix.
post #10 of Old 03-22-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure Cleaning View Post
This is some good information as I have been search for a good roof cleaning mix.
This is the general mix we use for Roof Cleaning Services In Tampa. If you click this link, there are hundreds of examples of roofs we have cleaned in the Tampa,Florida area with these combination's of roof cleaning chemicals.
post #11 of Old 03-22-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Roof Cleaning View Post
This is the general mix we use for Roof Cleaning Services In Tampa. If you click this link, there are hundreds of examples of roofs we have cleaned in the Tampa,Florida area with these combination's of roof cleaning chemicals.
Thanks, some good stuff.
post #12 of Old 03-27-2011, 08:11 AM

PEERLESS Roof Cleaning Tampa

You should look into herbicides...

Cheaper and will stay on the roof much longer than Borax. TSP will stay on the roof longer than borax will and that should be a staple in any roof cleaning mix.

Peerless Roof Cleaning Tampa Florida
(813)230-5915
Professional Shingle and Tile Tampa Roof Cleaning Blog
post #13 of Old 03-29-2011, 07:40 AM

How about dawn dish soap?
post #14 of Old 03-29-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure Cleaning View Post
How about dawn dish soap?
Dawn will work, as a surfactant. There are better, more chlorine compatible surfactants like Lauramine Oxide, Myristamine, and of course, TSP.
post #15 of Old 04-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Thanks for all the helpful information.
post #16 of Old 04-16-2011, 10:35 AM

So years later are these the best choices?
post #17 of Old 06-26-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Musgraves View Post
So years later are these the best choices?
Always working on new and better chemicals to push the roof cleaning envelope Ron. Been exposing Tampa Roof Cleaning Scams too lately.
Guys are hitting Tampa Palms with time release roof cleaning offers, then they leave town. Of course, the roofs never clean!
post #18 of Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 AM

That is why we have been Making Roof Cleaning Safer in Tampa and educating the consumers of criminals in the industry. Who wants a drug addicted con man spraying questionable chemicals on their roof?

(813)230-5915
post #19 of Old 06-27-2011, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
That is why we have been Making Roof Cleaning Safer in Tampa and educating the consumers of criminals in the industry. Who wants a drug addicted con man spraying questionable chemicals on their roof?
That's for sure! Got to watch out for those roof cleaning companies spraying a 70 percent Chlorine solution Thomas
post #20 of Old 06-27-2011, 03:30 PM

Hey NP, since I spray a 3-4% solution then a 70% would be extra safe, exactly why I asked over 6 years ago.

You have to find better ways to manipulate the truth Mr. Tucker.

(813)230-5915

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode