Roof-A-Cide - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-26-2006, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Roof-A-Cide

Roof-A-Cide.... Any Comments? Experience? Just a good Marketing Plan? I notice that they state negatives with Bleach but don't actually state why.

Don, Do you sell against any Roof-A-Cide Guys?

Interested in knowing more about this stuff.

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-26-2006, 01:19 PM

There are a few around. The ones that bought into it did so back when it was about $6-8K. I believe they want something like $25-30K now, so needless to say there aren't too many jumping onboard.

A friend of mine in another area of FL is R-A-C applicator, as they like to call them. He got in early too.

I think they do O.K. at best, selling their maintenance package.

The roofs we do stay clean for 3 years or longer. That being said, I see no reason to spend that kind of money for R-A-C, personally. No reason to put myself in that kind of upside down hole for little to no gain, in my opinion. But as they say, "To each, his own!"

All Seasons Exteriors, Inc. Professional Roof Cleaning
Orlando, FL (407) 579-4026 or Toll Free (877) 837-9705
post #3 of Old 07-26-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

I was wondering about the stuff. Didn't think that it was any better of a product or system than the SH. How do they get by, telling people that bleach tears up roofs? Or that it only lasts 6 months? Just wondering so that I have something for consumers when asked about these things. I think that the way we are doing it, is the fastest and easiest way.

The RAC site shows video that looks like some pressure is being used to rinse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-26-2006, 02:03 PM

Well, either they are watching this site or someone notified them because they just joined CleaningTalk.com

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
post #5 of Old 07-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Roof-A-Cide

There is an article on Roof Cleaning in the July Issue of Roofing Contractor magazine that answers your question. Itís on pages 24 & 25:
http://www.bnpmedia.com/digitalmagazine/index.html?pub=RC&iss=0706

To the Board Owner(s) Ė we are not looking for business from anyone on this board, so please donít take this post as advertising. I am just trying to clear up some misconceptions that are being reinforced by people that really donít understand what we do.

FYI Ė Roof-A-Cide focuses primarily on prevention of the stains and not the cleaning. There is a huge difference - especially in the Southern States.

And a large part of our program IS marketing. Especially to large Homeowner's Associations and Property Managers that have experience with traditional cleaning using either bleach or pressure cleaning and they are looking for better and safer ways of getting this done.

If bleach or sodium hydroxide work for you, great. But if you are like some of our Applicators that might be doing 500 homes in a relatively small area, these options donít work as well. Preventing the stains to begin with is faster, safer, easier and keeping the roofs clean can be accomplished without the use of 10-15,000 gallons of chlorine (as would be used by most companies that use chlorine here in South Florida).

If you are interested in learning more about Roof-A-Cide products, contact us directly and we will be happy to answer any questions for you. Our products are in widespread use throughout the country by companies that have used both bleach and sodium hydroxide products, but there are very few people on these bulletin boards that have actually used the products, so they really would have no idea how our process would compare.

Also, the equipment in the videos are Udor Chemical pumps that operate at 10.5 GPM and max out at about 200 psi. We rarely ever need more than 80 psi to get a roof clean and most of our Applicators don't even own pressure cleaners.

As I have mentioned on other boards, what we offer is not cost-effective for any company that only does roofs occasionally or does plan to make roof cleaning & stain prevention a core part of their business. The contractors that buy into what we do are the ones that are looking to do at least 1,000 roofs each year.
post #6 of Old 07-26-2006, 02:07 PM

I have seen some real choice posts from the guy that sells this stuff on various message boards. Sarch the other boards, Mike. And before I get condemned I know nothing of the product, the company's business practices or the owner personally.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #7 of Old 07-26-2006, 02:08 PM

How's that for timing?

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #8 of Old 07-26-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-A-Cide View Post
To the Board Owner(s) Ė we are not looking for business from anyone on this board, so please donít take this post as advertising. I am just trying to clear up some misconceptions that are being reinforced by people that really donít understand what we do.
As mentioned in our Advertising Rules you are allowed to do so as long as you don't get off topic.

From our ad rules:
Quote:
Participants may only discuss details about their company and/or product offerings when the thread starter or poster has made direct reference to their company and stated something untrue or misleading, or something which clearly needs clarifying. The response must be in direct reference to the point discussed only and contain no added promotional information and/or fluff. It is advisable when in the above scenario to contact us first.

Nathan

post #9 of Old 07-26-2006, 02:17 PM

hmm ask Celeste and Roger how they feel about them

Michigan Exhaust Cleaning
Your First Step in Restaurant Duct Fire Prevention
Dave Ott 800-861-6475
post #10 of Old 07-26-2006, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

The reason I ask in a forum of other contractor versus RAC is that these contractors won't try to sell me thier product or system.

With that said, I am always open minded to know of a good product to offer. Does Roof-A-Cide clean a roof in the same manner that Sodium Hypo does? Meaning... Spray on, rinse off. I know that Sodium Hydroxide is not good for asphalt. I also know that it requires a pressure that is more than I would ever use.

As for RAC only being for a contractor that does 1000 roofs a year.... I think that any of us here would like to be doing 1000 roofs a year. But that can't always be the case. If there isn't sufficient capital to market with, then no matter how good the product or method is, 1000 roofs isn't happening. So the question is... Is RAC (The Product, Not the system) a feasable alternative to Sodium Hypo? Cost, time in rinsing etc.

These are the questions I have. I have yet to find valid info about how bleach is harmful. The only info I usually see is placed or sponsored by a maker or provider of a competing product.

Again, I ask these thing for more knowledge. I want to know that when I offer a service, that I am being honest to consumer and not having to fight objections because they "heard" that bleach is bad. If RAC is great stuff and I no longer have to spend time wattering plants etc., then I'd like to know. Is it for sale as a chemical alone or is it only available as part of a system?

post #11 of Old 07-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Roof-A-Cide

"The reason I ask in a forum of other contractor versus RAC is that these contractors won't try to sell me thier product or system."

I can appreciate that, but keep in mind, no one here is using our products and I am going to be the first one to tell you that it's a silly idea to spend $35-40k buying into our process if you donít have a market and a plan for making that back within a few months.

With that being said, we do sell the cleaning agent, Roof Restore, to independent contractors that are in markets where prevention is not a viable service. Roof Restore is environmentally friendly, contains no bleach or hydroxides, and it will not kill the plants. It is typically applied with a high volume chemical sprayer and rinsed off with the same, but we have contractors that downstream it.

The cost is about the same as using bleach Ė or less in some areas. There is going to be more time spent rinsing, but itís a fraction of what you would expect if you were using a sodium hydroxide based cleaner. Typically, the contractors we deal with might spend about 35 minutes rinsing a 25 square roof. The product is also non-corrosive, so you wonít be replacing your equipment as often as most have to when using bleach-based cleaners.

Roof-A-Cide, the preventative, is only sold to our Authorized Applicators.

ďThe only info I usually see is placed or sponsored by a maker or provider of a competing product.Ē

Take a look at the following link:
http://www.bnpmedia.com/digitalmagazine/index.html?pub=RC&iss=0706

Mike Feazel, a well-known expert in the roofing industry, wrote the article. He is not affiliate with any product.

If that doesnít hold any weight for you, why donít you go to home depot, purchase some roof materials: shingle, flashings, nails, and underlayment Ė and test it for yourself? This way youíre not relying on anyone elseís opinion and you know without a doubt 1st hand what will happen to these surfaces when theyíre exposed to bleach or any other chemical.
post #12 of Old 07-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Roof-A-Cide

We are happy to answer any questions regarding our product, but we don't want to anyone thinking that were trying to use this board for advertising or selling.

Thank You.

Last edited by Roof-A-Cide; 07-26-2006 at 04:47 PM.
post #13 of Old 07-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Roof-A-Cide

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Seasons Exteriors View Post
The ones that bought into it did so back when it was about $6-8K. I believe they want something like $25-30K now, so needless to say there aren't too many jumping onboard.

Please refrain from making derogatory statements about our company - particularly those that are wrong. I am not sure why you would tell someone this, but you are mistaken.

We have added the Applicators in the following areas over the last year:
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Boca Raton, FL
  • Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Dyersburg, TN
  • Port St. Lucie, FL
  • Deerfield Beach, FL
  • Miami, FL
And the price is $36,500.00.
post #14 of Old 07-26-2006, 05:44 PM

Lightbulb

I don't see anything derogatory about it.......Simply my opinion.

My point is that I can't justify the price for the perceived value. Again, just my opinion. As I made it abundantly clear that others should do what they desire.

Let's not get too hypocritical here. Your posts, as well as your alter ego's (Annie Dondero) are well documented all over the net. Unfortunately, in the past you've both shown very poor judgement and a lack of professionalism and you've been dealt with accordingly on other sites. I thought maybe you had turned a corner on that, but it looks like you're going to trend the other way again.

I'm not looking for any protracted nonsense.....Just stating my opinion. I get one too, whether you can appreciate it or not.

If you have something helpful to others, post away. If not, your past tone won't be tolerated here.

Good luck with Roof-A-Cide!

All Seasons Exteriors, Inc. Professional Roof Cleaning
Orlando, FL (407) 579-4026 or Toll Free (877) 837-9705
post #15 of Old 07-26-2006, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

I'd be interested in a sample of the roof restore to try and see if it will let me shoot from ground and rinse from ground. The savings in Workers Comp Premium alone would be worth looking at a product that will keep me off roof or ladders. I guess that is what I like about the Sodium Hypo. When I reduced my Ladder time cleaning the houses, my premiums went down. I was told that if I get on roof or ladders more than 10% of my work, then premium goes to 40 cents on the dollar.

I am wanting to market the roof cleaning hard but not if it isn't profitable due to workers comp or time consuming "up-close" rinsing. Here the only other roof cleaning that I know of is aguy with ad on TV showing a dude with Pressure washer and a close up of the granules going into the gutter. Probably using Sodium Hydroxide. It's easy to sell against that. However, Consumers are wary of bleach. So, if there is a chem that cleans as fast and easy with out the pre-wetting, I'd be interested in it.

Not interested in the equipment or system. Degree in business and can get pumps anywhere. The chem is what I seek.

By the way, didn't mean to get something started here. Just wanted advice from guys that I know have tried all sorts of chems.

post #16 of Old 07-26-2006, 08:22 PM

I think Don's pics of his work speaks for itself and what's wrong with using bleach if it gets the job done?

I don't clean roofs but all of the roof cleaners that i've read their postings on the bbs's use bleach.I must say pictures are worth a 1000 words.

Shane Brasseaux
Wood Savers of Texas
"We Beat the Weathering Problem"

Last edited by Woodsavers Of Texas; 07-26-2006 at 08:31 PM.
post #17 of Old 07-26-2006, 09:02 PM

I removed Roof-A-Cide's attacks.

John, I think people know how to get a hold of you if they want more info. Beyond that you can email me directly if you want to post another "calcification" about your company and I will post it for you.

Nathan

post #18 of Old 07-26-2006, 09:03 PM

Let's move on from discussing people and get back to discussing business.

Nathan

post #19 of Old 07-26-2006, 10:29 PM

Forget it

Michigan Exhaust Cleaning
Your First Step in Restaurant Duct Fire Prevention
Dave Ott 800-861-6475

Last edited by Dave Ott; 07-26-2006 at 10:32 PM. Reason: forgot to leave my 10 cents
post #20 of Old 07-27-2006, 12:56 AM

I don't do roofs. But I remember when RAC came out.....seems like a great product (IN THEORY) to me. "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". I'd think you could sell this stuff like crazy on a new home, before the FloriFung arrives. From my understanding, the product is used to prevent fungi as opposed to remove it, which I'd think is an easy sell (not to mention, an easy way to grow a biz).

I'd be interested in running the numbers for myself and seeing if I think it would be more profitable for Mr. Browne to sell this in this "franchise/territory" fashion or just let it go on the open market.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode