Roof Wand - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-30-2006, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Roof Wand

Here are a few pics of the PVC wand that we use. PVC and nylon is used when possible to eliminate corrosion. The partially articulating elbows allow for various angle adjustments also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roof Wand 0011.JPG (67.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Roof Wand 0022.JPG (69.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Roof Wand 00555.JPG (94.8 KB, 54 views)

All Seasons Exteriors, Inc. Professional Roof Cleaning
Orlando, FL (407) 579-4026 or Toll Free (877) 837-9705
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-30-2006, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

A 3/8" #316 grade stainless Q/C fitting is used to connect to the hose. The spray tips are shaped exactly like regular surface cleaner tips, but made of plastic. They're color-coded to each spray pattern size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roof Wand 0077.JPG (95.9 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Roof Wand 0144.JPG (94.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Roof Wand 0233.JPG (42.1 KB, 41 views)

post #3 of Old 08-30-2006, 11:06 PM

How much for those tips Don?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 08-31-2006, 01:25 AM

This Is What We Use ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kory View Post
Hello Kory!
This is the gun and wand we use http://www.accuspray.com/store/spray...Spray_Guns.htm

There is a wand attachment for doing tile roofs, and it has a swivel to angle the nozzle like you want.
Personally, I just use a gun, and do not care for a wand.
When i am doing Tile Roofs, I simply start at the bottom, and spray up.

BUT, I found that many of my employees were uncomfortable starting at the bottom of a roof, and working up, and so we allowed them to use a wand with angled nozzles.

The reason I like this particular gun is because the trigger is recessed in the handle.
In case of a fall, one need not worry about something accidentally turning on ?

It is also light, and fairly reliable, as IF anything lasts forever with Chlorine.

We use quick change adaptors for this gun, available from Spraying Systems industrial products division, but if you have enough flow, the smallest grey shower head nozzle will flat rock on a shingle roof.

With the quick change adaptors, one can use the nylon nozzles that come in all possible shapes and sizes.

We like a 25 degree 3 GPM nozzle on small shingle roofs, and a 45 degree 5 GPM on big commercial shingle roofs when we wanna fly!

But Spraying Systems offers quick change Nylon nozzles down to 1/2 GPM, in all degrees, so even you Shurflo guys running small pumps with 3/8 hose can use this setup.

Of course, being made out of Nylon, they will enlarge a bit over time, just like Stainless Steel will, but they are cheap, like 4 or 5 bucks apiece.

We actually save the "old nozzles" when they enlarge for commercial jobs that we need the extra flow on.

The Plastic Nozzles that Don uses on his wand will last longer then Nylon or Stainless Steel will, as long as they are not made out of Nylon.

Jon Chapman, Thomas for Peerless, and me were hoping to meet you at the Tampa Roof Cleaners meeting at Hooters!

I was showing off my latest "discovery" Kory, an all Plastic Hose Reel Swivel!

It is good to 400 PSI, and is all plastic, with Teflon and Viton Innards!

It screws right on my Titan 22 inch Hose Reel's 1/2 inch Stainless Steel internal pipe.

Even when we rinsed out our equipment promptly, I always had trouble with my Hose Reel's swivels.

I tried the Brass ones, but I prefer not to have any Brass stuff in my chemical path...

I have noticed that some Brass seems to add a kind of "rust" to light colored shingle roofs that can be a bitch to get off.

So, I tried the two types of stainless swivels that Titan makes, and had problems with both, even when rinseing.

My new pump system does not require rinseing, and has also eliminated the troublesome pressure bypass regulator, and it's hose feeding back into the tank!

That dam bypass hose Kory ... air would get trapped in it, and it would pulse around like a dying Insect.

One cannot imagine the "Fun" of a bypass hose coming or breaking loose, and whipping around, marinating all things in it's path with the Love ...
Our new pump system has eliminated the need for a bypass hose and regulator, and it also does not require any rinseing either.

So, since our Hose and Pump is chemical proof, and the Hose reels internal Pipe is thick Stainless Steel, the "last frontier" to overcome was the Stainless Steel Swivel.

So, I am "Beta Testing" my new discovery, and we shall see if it is the roof cleaning advance I believe it to be ...

Are you going to come to the next Tampa Roof Cleaners meeting ??
Chris
post #5 of Old 08-31-2006, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
I sent you a PM, Kory. Cleaned anymore roofs with the wand yet?

post #6 of Old 08-31-2006, 09:29 AM

Don...... My new Roof (Phelps) wand works Great! It realy cut back on the over spray and run off. The first time I tryed to use it after about 30 sec. it stopped working, though I had done something wrong. It turned out that trash had pluged the tip, cleaned it out everything OK now. Also installed a water filter ahead of tank to keep this from happening again. See Ya!

Did you think anymore about A group of us getting together in Orlando at the big todo?
post #7 of Old 08-31-2006, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Hi Dan,

I'm still kickin' around the idea of a fall roundtable. I'll make a decision in the next few weeks.

Don

post #8 of Old 08-31-2006, 03:10 PM

Very nice avatar Don!

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
post #9 of Old 08-31-2006, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

He's one cool cat!

post #10 of Old 08-31-2006, 05:14 PM

I also use a 4' Phelps to do roofs. I also made one for applying stripper via the shurflo to do decks. At 12" long it works well, especially on the hand rails and spindles.

Barry Maddox
Midwest Pro Wash
post #11 of Old 08-31-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Here's the pic of Barry's deck wand.

Hey Barry, didn't you invent the 'Hillbilly Hose Reel' too?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deckwand1.JPG (66.8 KB, 46 views)

post #12 of Old 08-31-2006, 09:17 PM

Chris
Yeah I hope we can get together maybe november ish. I was thinking maybe we can get some sponsors to pay for some of it or rent a Hall somewhere. What do you guys think? I was thinking Newagain, Ameritech and a couple others might be interested I still need to talk to Bill and Scott to see if they would even be interested in doing it.
As for the gun I like it, I need something like that I can use for when I do pool cages at high pressure. I keep burning through guns when I use the Love. I will keep useing the wand for roofs I feel more comfortable useing it. Im in brandon every other week for one of my fleet accounts we will have to grab breakfast or something one day.

Don
I am trying to get more roofs but the competition is tough I've got guys cleaning 14k Sq ft homes two stories (7k Roof space) for less than $800 bucks Im sorry but that house had a lot of veg and a steep roof. (I think Chris got that one!) anyways I have sent out a bunch of fliers and targeted the neighbor hood I did that cleaning in.

Have you guys heard of Advanced Cleaning? I seen they have a decent size fleet. They say they have cleaned 25k roofs.
post #13 of Old 08-31-2006, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Have you guys heard of Advanced Cleaning? I seen they have a decent size fleet. They say they have cleaned 25k roofs.
If you're talkin' about these guys, I know of them but rarely see them.

http://www.advanceroofsystem.com/

post #14 of Old 08-31-2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Seasons Exteriors View Post
If you're talkin' about these guys, I know of them but rarely see them.

http://www.advanceroofsystem.com/
Yeah thats them & there is also Malard looks like 20 trucks or more in there fleet
post #15 of Old 08-31-2006, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, Mallard has been around awhile now. They're not what they once were though (at least not in Orl).

post #16 of Old 08-31-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Seasons Exteriors View Post
Hey Barry, didn't you invent the 'Hillbilly Hose Reel' too?
Yep sure did, once you get the hose stretched out, then it's all in the wrist.....

Barry Maddox
Midwest Pro Wash
post #17 of Old 08-31-2006, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry M View Post
Yep sure did, once you get the hose stretched out, then it's all in the wrist.....
Errrrr.....No comment!

post #18 of Old 08-31-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Opps! Sorry wrong board

What I meant to say was....we don't use hose reels in Indianeer.

Barry Maddox
Midwest Pro Wash
post #19 of Old 09-01-2006, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Chris
Yeah I hope we can get together maybe November ish. I was thinking maybe we can get some sponsors to pay for some of it or rent a Hall somewhere. What do you guys think? I was thinking Newagain, Ameritech and a couple others might be interested I still need to talk to Bill and Scott to see if they would even be interested in doing it.
As for the gun I like it, I need something like that I can use for when I do pool cages at high pressure. I keep burning through guns when I use the Love. I will keep using the wand for roofs I feel more comfortable using it. Im in Brandon every other week for one of my fleet accounts we will have to grab breakfast or something one day.

Don
I am trying to get more roofs but the competition is tough I've got guys cleaning 14k Sq ft homes two stories (7k Roof space) for less than $800 bucks Im sorry but that house had a lot of veg and a steep roof. (I think Chris got that one!) anyways I have sent out a bunch of fliers and targeted the neighbor hood I did that cleaning in.

Nope, it wasn't me, but we are doing a 6500 sq foot barrel Tile one in Avila tomorrow for 1500.00!

Advanced Roof Cleaning is ex Mallard employees who copied them.
Their trucks are even set up 'Mallard Style" ...

Don is correct, Mallard is not what they once were.
Mallard was Alfred Lockyer, and his son.
They had 40 trucks, in their heyday.
The son started Terra Clean, and went his own way, chasing commercial work.
The father sold Mallard out to some new owners, I run into them every now and then.

Mallard also spawned Roof EX, who are very much here in the Tampa area.
They kicked my butt on a job by offering to clean the whole house for what I wanted for just the roof.
Unlike Mallard, they are down and dirty.

BTW, the picture of Advanced trucks is very old, maybe that was them, in their heyday ...

I have only run into them once, and I got that job.

Back in the old days Kory, there weren't many roof cleaning companies around.
We got big bucks for doing roofs, compared to today's prices.

Us "Old Timers" had to figure this roof cleaning stuff out for ourselves.

Before there was The Grime Scene, or this or any other one, there was only the Delco board.

I think I was the first person to actually publicly help people on Delco with my roof cleaning knowledge.

The larger GPM Shurflo pump, with a 5/8 hose was known as an "Apple Setup".

Then, one day, in a fairly affluent Tampa subdivision, I heard about a "Company" doing roofs for 1/2 my companies price!

And, lo and behold, guess what set up he was using ?

So, I "copped an attitude" and stopped helping people publicly on the Internet.

However, the ones that sought me out after finding my web site, I still helped, as long as they were not local!

Others "took my place" on the Delco board, and started helping people with the old knowledge I gave them.

Meanwhile, Beth and Rod, and several old friends from Delco "made the jump" over to The Grime Scene.

I was asked to come, but I had several local friends who hung out on Delco, and I remained behind.

When I finally did come to TGS, few knew me anymore.

But, that has all changed, and I feel I have a lot of information to add to the roof cleaning world.

We pioneered the use of John Blue Pumps and Titan Stainless Steel Hose Reels.
It was only after we bought so many of these products, that the owners of these companies went after the roof cleaning market.

John Blue is an agricultural company, but when I saw a Poly head on their old PP 193 pump, I abandoned the Hypro pump we had been using.
Once they knew what we were doing with their pumps, they saw a new market, and went after it.

And, because of the reliability problems we had with the John Blue PP 193, and the huge potential market John Blue was made aware of, they actually went to Bertollini, their Italian pump supplier, and asked them to make a better pump!

Once Bertollini found out about this new market, they made a pump for Comet, as well as John Blue.

Titan Reels were almost unknown in the Pressure Cleaning world,
but when I discovered they had thick Stainless Steel cores, we started using them.
It wasn't long before Mark at Titan discovered there was a new, potential market.

So Kory, imagine my shock coming over to TGS, and no one even knowing who I was ?

I saw people I had never heard of, posting pictures of the new John Blue pumps, and the Titan Hose reels I pioneered for roof cleaning use.

I know for a fact I was the first roof cleaner ever to use a John Blue Pump, OR a Titan Stainless Reel.

But yet, I get little credit for my discoveries, and contributions to the roof cleaning world.

Instead, I have to sit back and watch others get called "Gods" and "Guru's", using and selling equipment they might not have, had it not been for me, LOL

But Ya know what Kory, it's all good, because if others don't know the real deal, I do, and people are slowly finding out all I have given to this Industry.

One guy from TGS actually called John Blue and Titan to ask about purchasing stuff, and THEY know who I am.

John Blue and me are not on speaking terms for reasons I will not get into here, but Mark from Titan and me are cool.
I even suggested he make his cores out of Titanium instead of Stainless, and he is exploring the possibilities.

I have quietly moved way beyond John Blue pumps, and had you come to the Tampa roof cleaners meeting, you would have seen my latest "discovery", an all plastic, chemically resistant, hose reel swivel, with Teflon internals!

People are switching to the "Mean Green" Polyurethane Hose I discovered, because It has total chemical resistance, and is light, cheap, and strong.

Though some do not like runoff, many have discovered how much faster a larger hose will allow your pump to be, and several from TGS have switched to an "Apple Style" setup.

And, it has all been a "learning experience" for me as well, to learn to tolerate ideas different from my own ...

Actually, one of my old "students" turned me on to the Polyurethane Mean Green Hose, so sharing what I know has been beneficial to me.

I really hope to meet you and all the other Tampa area guys Kory, and your ideas are great, like getting sponsors, etc.

Chris
post #20 of Old 09-01-2006, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Opps! Sorry wrong board

What I meant to say was....we don't use hose reels in Indianeer.
Hey Barry,

It was good talking with David V. the other day. He seems like a nice guy and I think he'll do very well with his business once he gets everything lined out. He spoke very highly of you and all that you taught him.

His wand is scheduled for delivery mid-week, next week.

I'm sure you probably already know this, but he let me in on the inside joke about the hose reel thing.

Last edited by All Seasons Exteriors; 09-01-2006 at 08:19 AM. Reason: added content

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode