Links - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-16-2006, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Links

What is the oldest link that you have seen still hanging on for life? You know the ones that tell you the suppresion system was just serviced and the links were changed. Then you look at the links and they are from the dawn of man.

Michigan Exhaust Cleaning
Your First Step in Restaurant Duct Fire Prevention
Dave Ott 800-861-6475
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-16-2006, 02:36 AM
Lou

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou
I havn't kept track...

Lou
Hoods & More
Phx, Az
602-434-1169
post #3 of Old 07-16-2006, 10:34 AM

I have a competitor who got a great deal on links 10 or 12 years ago. Of course, this is the same guy who mixes nozzles between different brands, who uses kidde gas valves on Ansul systems, still thinks all wet systems are UL 30 compliant. He recharges Fire Extinguishers w/o taking them off the wall, all of his tamper seals are blue, the recharge labels are on the front of the the cylinder. The guy is good! And w/o saying, he is cheaper.

Then there is the competitor who never tips the fan, and cleans the duct from the floor up into the duct.

Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-16-2006, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Then there is the competitor who never tips the fan, and cleans the duct from the floor up into the duct.
Now that is different. Sounds like the guys that I have talked to many of times and ask where there ladder is to get on the roof. They stare at me and ask why they need to get on the roof to clean the exhaust. I just leave it at that and mark it down in my (why my customer needs to hire me) book.I have seen many of old links. I especially like the chinese restaurant that was closed down by the fire inspector. We go clean and asked them before how long has it been? I couldn't find a sticker, but sure did see enough of the AHJ stickers of failed areas all over. I was told it was cleaned about a few months ago. I look and scrape a little in the duct and the stuff rolls up like a snowball and stays there. I then pull it down and it hits the wok table and holds its form like tar. Then I realize I am being told a big lie. I then decide to dick into a trough and once again find about 8 different links. I then ask again are you sure? He replies yes I am sure. I then tell him how buildup that turn into tar and then bends a heavy duty pole scraper has been a long time since cleaned, and then I show him the links that have been imbedded in the layers of grease. All dated for years ago, and buried in different areas of the trough and could not have been missed that easly. Response was well they always clean it. I then Mention the little fact that I know that I didn't tell him yet. That was the roofer who did the roof a few years ago had sealed all the fans to the roof with modified. There was no way they were just opened any time soon. Well needless to say the fire inspector was impressed and the gentleman paid alot of money that day. Also including the roofer to redo the roof correctly around his fans so I could get in and also shut them without roof leaks after I had to cut them loose. Boy did that guy feel wierd after all of this.Oh Yeah nice to see you over hear Douglas

Michigan Exhaust Cleaning
Your First Step in Restaurant Duct Fire Prevention
Dave Ott 800-861-6475
post #5 of Old 07-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Lou

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou
oooh man Douglas has entered the building..

Lou
Hoods & More
Phx, Az
602-434-1169
post #6 of Old 07-16-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Hicks View Post
I have a competitor who got a great deal on links 10 or 12 years ago. Of course, this is the same guy who mixes nozzles between different brands, who uses kidde gas valves on Ansul systems, still thinks all wet systems are UL 30 compliant. He recharges Fire Extinguishers w/o taking them off the wall, all of his tamper seals are blue, the recharge labels are on the front of the the cylinder. The guy is good! And w/o saying, he is cheaper.

Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc
Welcome to the site Douglas.

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode