My eyes! look away! - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 08-31-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

My eyes! look away!

Okay I go and do a bid in a county that is famous for no inspections. The gentleman wanted his equipment cleaned in the kitchen. Nothing unusual there, well the equipment hasn't been moved in dinosaur years. Any way I go and look at the equipment it is thick and caked and blah blah I know I can clean it. The price was right but the problem was. I could not keep my eyes off the hood system. Why you ask? Well it was just cleaned by a company about 2 weeks ago and the hood was filthy. Oh well the real problem was there was a gap in the filter and Mr curious I had to look. Us greasers always carry our light with us. So I look and the duct is just packed. Hmmm I look at the sticker again. Yep 2 weeks ago. So the cook says that the guys come in and make a mess like always and never go on the roof and jam the wand up the bottom and then usually blow out his fans. They have broken them many times I guess from what he says. My eyes just could not stay away from the hood. I think it just irritated the crap out of me. I am so tired of this taking advantage of customers and not giving them what they pay for. One would be peace of mind that their place won't go up in a ball of flames. I have ran into these stickers before and it was with my buddy who just took over 50 some Mcd's from this same company. Together we have both pretty much gotten rid of 2 companies already by showing and proving unacceptable cleaning practices. Video cameras run down ducts are great after a cleaning. Now to try to figure out who this guy is will be another. I think it is a guy who subcontracts everyone to do hood cleaning, and I mean just hoods LOL. How would you guys deal with this guy? Either way I am going to take him down and his drugged up crews. Would you talk with the fire inspector? Health inspector? Higher AHJ? This cannot go on. These guys are just killing the industry. It just makes me upset when I see this stuff and I see it a lot. Shall I make this comapny number three LOL Bye BYe. The problem is that most don't even use completion stickers so finding who they are is a pain. Needless to say the owner was not thrilled and either was the cook. Just me venting but have any of you moved some competitors out? Any tricks that are legal? Anyone that you would especialy talk to?

Michigan Exhaust Cleaning
Your First Step in Restaurant Duct Fire Prevention
Dave Ott 800-861-6475
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 08-31-2006, 10:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Karvonen's Pro Clean
Dave,
You had to include that "legal" word,so my suggestions are out.

Karvonen's Pro Clean
Scott "Squirtgun" Karvonen
Sylvester,Ga.
www.karvonensproclean.com
post #3 of Old 09-01-2006, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Yeah that Legal Word. I have done it in the past where we have cleaned it for the customer and sent the other company a bill. They paid LOL It might happen here if the customer can't get them to come back out and re-clean or give him his money back. Oh yeah they do fear other companies. Especially when they know they have been caught and will be reported if not cooperative.

Dave Ott 800-861-6475
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 09-15-2006, 08:02 PM

I usually just print everything out for the owner or manager so he has a record of it. I don't see why it wouldn't be legal to send photos and a report to the fire inspector. How bad would you feel if you didn't do that and they had a major fire and someone got hurt?

The one thing I am doing out here is forwarding any pictures of bad work done by certified companies to the certifying body i.e. IKECA, PWNA, CHDCA, Ackland so that these ceritfying organizations have an idea what their certified companies are doing. If that doesn't work, I am going start sending them to the Fire Marshals. Call me a rat if you want but I am just as sick of it you guys are but I've reached the point where I just don't care about the repercussions anymore. This industry is getting full of hacks that make the ones who are actually trying to do a good job look rally bad. Especially when they are certified by the same organizations, it makes me want to puke.

On that note here are some pictures that may make you want to puke as well. Yes you guessed it, a certified company that is bilking its customers, say it isn't so! These have already been sent to the restaurants corporate office, I don't want the business, I just want these guys to stop stealing their money.

http://mbryan.slide.com/p/1/IKECA+ce..._21+hmmmmmmmmm

Matt Bryan
Bryan Exhaust
www.bryanexhaust.com
post #5 of Old 09-15-2006, 08:29 PM

Im getting hungry just looking at those pics. Here is something else to consider. Why would it hurt to turn these guys in. They are giving guys like us hell! Not only are they giving the industry a bad name but they are driveing down prices as well. The quicker they get out of this business the better off we all are.
post #6 of Old 09-15-2006, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

I am happy to see you here Matt. Did you get lost on the way? I notice Kory also.

Dave Ott 800-861-6475
post #7 of Old 09-26-2006, 03:21 AM
Lou

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ott View Post
Oh yeah they do fear other companies. Especially when they know they have been caught and will be reported if not cooperative.

answer to your problem is right there.
Next question is "WHO" gets the report?

Fire Marshall?
Insurance Comp.?
Management Comp?
Corporate Office?
Elective Officials?
Media?
Certifying Org?
Hope you put together something that drives them out (as long as they don't come here).

Lou
Hoods & More
Phx, Az
602-434-1169

Last edited by Lou; 05-19-2007 at 10:27 AM.
post #8 of Old 09-26-2006, 03:31 AM
Lou

I allready know I'm going to have to deal with the a percentage of companies Matt drives out of Cali.
I have enough of them here to deal with myself, as well as getting my own sh!t together.

Lou
Hoods & More
Phx, Az
602-434-1169
post #9 of Old 09-28-2006, 08:35 PM

Monday I get a call from an account. We installed the fire suppression system, so that is all we do for this customer, no hood cleaning, no alarm work, not fire extinguisher work. Good pay, checks on time, contact is good to work with. Contact calls me, tells me they have a problem with the gas valve, it seems to be closed and can I look at it? I ask for more information and am told the hood cleaners have been in and cleaned the hood. Their assumption is the hood cleaners may have done something to the gas valve. I am not familiar w/the company, except from their postings on the furnace cleaning board over at Delco. They rant about all of the poor equipment, poor workmanship, which usually means their work is not much. Anyway, we go to the Lodge, stopping at the office to get someone to watch what we do. In 25 + years I have not seen a gas valve close for no reason. The reason an automatic gas valve closes is because the fire suppression system has tripped. If the system was tripped, I wanted a witness to note that I did not trip the system, that the system was tripped before I got on scene. We went into the system, disarmed the system and I started my inspection. I had my helper remove a couple of filters. I got into the hood, and noted all of the fusible links were in good shape and not melted. I also saw the hood was not greasy and was in fact just as clean as last April when I serviced the system and just as clean as April 2005, when I installed the system. I touched the sheet metal, my finger felt stickey greasy stuff. I turned around and noticed the white powder flakes in the hood. Now the powder monkey has been out of business at least 5 years, but there was still residue. I set the gas valve, light the pilots and went back to the office and talked to the Administrative Assistant. I reported on my findings. She asked my opinion, I suggested she call the company who cleaned the hood.

Today, I stopped at the Lodge. I wanted to check on the pilot lights and make sure the gas valve had not tripped again. A cook and I went into the kitchen. The oven pilot was out, but all the other pilots were OK. I found out he at one time cleaned hoods, with chemical and a scratch pad. I expained our process, with chemicals, pressure washer and all. He showed me the grease left after the cleaning on Monday, and told me he found grease dripping from a pipe in the hood. I again went into the hood, touched the pipe and found more grease than I had before. I jumped down and we discussed the matter a bit more. The back door opens, and 2 guys come in. W/O waiting for an opening in the conversation, they ID themselves as the hood cleaners. They looked in the hood and said they saw nothing wrong. They also said if there was a problem, they would have to come back later to correct the problem, as they did no have the van at that time. I immediatly covered up my company name on my shirt. The Cook took the 2 guys to find a trustee. I left, stopping at the office. Becky and I discussed the situation a little more. I told her in my opinion, the hood cleaners did not clean the hood, just left a bill. I asked if anyone was in the building when the job was done. She told me there was someone in the building, that person did not go into the kitchen when the job was done.

Maybe I got the guys in trouble, maybe I got the owner in trouble, maybe this is the way that company operates. And maybe I just expaned my customer base!

Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc
post #10 of Old 10-09-2007, 06:21 PM

IMHO I don't see how anyone can walk away from a hood that looks like pure garbage .. if im the one workin on the hood its gotta be clean
post #11 of Old 10-09-2007, 06:58 PM

hey! who are you guys, do you think you can police the grease? Do you think you can change the industry? I got an idea, why don't we all get together and form some kind of group that can make a difference in the grease business. Call me, let's talk.
post #12 of Old 10-17-2007, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

What are you like a Vice President or something

Dave Ott 800-861-6475
post #13 of Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 PM

lol , how long have you guys been in the business for anyways? Im only pushin 2 years here myself . hehe its a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it .. hey .. send Mike Rowe .. he likes that kinda stuff lol
post #14 of Old 10-18-2007, 07:40 PM

As a matter of fact, Mr. Ott, I am. Maybe you have heard of us, Grease Police. Our goal is to raise the bar on exhaust cleaning. I have taken the liberty of investigating you and your business. It is possible, if you are interested, I could put in a good word and get you in. There is a fee, $19,998.oo in cash please. I wait your response. A courier will be at your door at 8:00 AM on Monday, next. Do not keep the courier waiting, he has a short temper.

greasepolice.org
post #15 of Old 10-18-2007, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Ummm

Real greasers like myself and the ones at said org or the greasepolice.org are always still working to clean kitchen exhaust systems to bare metal at this time.

So could you please have the courier meet me at the roof duct system around access panel 5, past elbow 2 but near the plenum of kitchen 2 on the second floor left side of the v hood ,near the air return duct for kitchen 1 on the 1st floor of my monday morning account

I will hand him the cash there out the access.

Dave Ott 800-861-6475

Last edited by Dave Ott; 10-18-2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Because I can
post #16 of Old 10-18-2007, 11:02 PM

I am deeply sorry Mr. Ott. Guido cannot keep track of that many numbers at one time. He will meet you on the resturant roof, near the greasy stuff. Do not, repeat, Do not allow Guido to get above you after you hand the cash to him. A serious accident may befall you if you allow him the high ground.

Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc
Grease Police
post #17 of Old 10-18-2007, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Can guido fly?

I have safety harness

Dave Ott 800-861-6475
post #18 of Old 11-10-2007, 06:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to burunow
hiii

ı m working Turkiye CONTRY

MY WEB www.kanaltemizleme.com
post #19 of Old 11-10-2007, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by burunow View Post
hiii

Welcome

burunow

Very nice website

Dave Ott 800-861-6475
post #20 of Old 11-10-2007, 02:02 PM
Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by burunow View Post
hiii

Wow they Turkey weird

Lou
Hoods & More
Phx, Az
602-434-1169

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode