Help with a concrete floor job - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-28-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Help with a concrete floor job

I have the chance to bid on a concrete floor job. The area to work on is 1800 sq ft. The floor is in average shape with chipped finished and damaged spots. It is a lightly used space at the moment and will be a storage space for clothes on wardrobe racks.

I am thinking of pricing the job at .55/sq ft ($990) since I have to repair, strip/patch, clean & seal the concrete floor. I am thinking that a satin/gloss finish is best for the floor. My clients' main concern is that the floor stay dust free and that the clothing would not become soiled or damaged if it comes into contact with the floor.

I have attached pictures of the floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floor 1 resized.jpg (43.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0102 b.jpg (86.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0103 b.jpg (91.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0104 b.jpg (88.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0107 b.jpg (87.4 KB, 1 views)

Barrett
Cleaning Concierge, LLC
Green Commerical & Residential Cleanings
Serving Greater New Orleans, La Area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 AM

I have not done anything like this but that looks a little light on the pricing. I would strip it all and then go back with an epoxy like a garage floor epoxy for durability. It is easy to maintain. The kits are $75 each and cover about 200 square feet. How are you going to acomplish the stripping of the existing finish?
post #3 of Old 11-29-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

I am thinking of using a soy-based stripper called Soy Gel by Franmar Chemical or safstrip by Prosoco, Inc. I dont want to use a true chemical stripper since this is an indoor application and will probably take place during business hours. Leaning towards Soy Gel...mechanical equipment is not necessary...I think the finish will be my biggest hurdle. I have to see what condition the floor is after I strip it to see if I can go with a clear gloss sealer or an epoxy type to hide imperfections in the floor.

Chems & finish alone will be close to a $1000 going the green way. So I may have to change the price schedule and use supplies + (est. man hours x work rate) to get a price for the bid. So that initial quote of $990 will be double at the least. I figure this job will take at least 20 man hours @ $65/hr (my company's work rate for unusual tasks). So i may qoute the bid at @ $2300 to do the floor. I have to do more research on the chems to get a true grasp on what is available for me to use in the New Orlean area.

Barrett
Cleaning Concierge, LLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 12-01-2009, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Just spoke with my client about the floor job. Change of course. They're leasing the office space so no major changes can be made to the building. So I think my options are to 1. thoroughly sweep/vac the floor, 2. clean it with a degreaser 3. wash it with water, 4. add a high gloss sealer to the floor and possibly a wax.

It is a temporary fix for a temporary space. Only 4 or 5 people will use the space for 4 months. So they just want the floor to be clean and sealed for that timed frame. I know the finish will not last for a long time.

Thinking of pricing the job at .45.sq ft /1800 sq ft for a total of $810.

Barrett
Cleaning Concierge, LLC
post #5 of Old 12-01-2009, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofCleaningNashville View Post
I have not done anything like this but that looks a little light on the pricing. I would strip it all and then go back with an epoxy like a garage floor epoxy for durability. It is easy to maintain. The kits are $75 each and cover about 200 square feet. How are you going to acomplish the stripping of the existing finish?

After researching the 1st option, I would have had to rent a floor sander/scraper to remove the finish then degrease the floor then apply the finish. Client does not have access to sign off on a job of that magnitude. So I will vac the floor, degrease it then apply a sealer. I just want to have a gloss on the floor.

Barrett
Cleaning Concierge, LLC
post #6 of Old 12-05-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

I got the job and completed it today. Originally bid the job at $.45/sq ft ($810) but had to lower it to $.38/sq ft ($684) to get the job. Glad I was able to work something out with my client.

My client could not go with a full restore of the floor, since they are leasing the space for a short period of time. I just had to do a quick clean, spot seal and wax. Only had to spot seal the bare patches of concrete. The floor already had a paint-type of sealer on it.

Here are some after pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0111 resized.jpg (49.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0113 resized.jpg (91.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0115 resized.jpg (46.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0116 resized.jpg (51.3 KB, 3 views)

Barrett
Cleaning Concierge, LLC

Last edited by CleaningConciergeLLC; 12-05-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode