Moppin - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Moppin

This is a basic question I'm almost embarrassed to ask.

Do most companies have some standards and training for mopping floors?

The reason I'm asking is because rubbing dirty water on the floor was the standard at the two low-end places I've worked at so far. But I've read articles about changing mopwater after doing bathrooms and the like, so I'll guess that that's not normal.

Going by the places I've worked, seems the point of mopping is to pick up dust missed by sweeping and leave a nice smell behind.

But workers I've seen take that to ridiculous lengths, using a few cups of water, not exaggerating, and a squirt of Murphy's Oil Soap to clean the floors in a whole house. Or using one wringer bucket of soapy water for a whole dirty commercial place even if the water is dark black halfway through.

Please tell me neither of those are common. I don't have a lot of pro experience, but it seems to me that the point is to mop up dirt, and the way to do that is with lots of clean mopwater and scrubbing when necessary.

(I was told at one of my dirtiest places to rub degreaser all over the linoleum, with the typical treatment being 1/2 cup strong degreaser to two cups water. Needless to say, the floor has been destroyed, but it is looking a ton better since I started doing the place myself and using neutral cleaner and lots of clean mop water.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-04-2010, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Bump.

I still am wondering what the norm is for mopping, but a more urgent question is, how often do you launder mop heads?

The first company I worked for didn't wash mop heads at all until I started doing the ones I used for my clients monthly. The second company I worked for collected them up and put them in the washing machine with detergent and bleach every day.

Surely there has to be a happy medium. What do you do?
post #3 of Old 07-10-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the serious answer!

I ended up at both jobs washing rags and mops myself on the weekend.

Never thought to tie the ends -- loop end mops seem to fare just fine in the wash without doing anything special. Will cut-end mops survive laundering if you tie them? Twice Ive had clients buy cut end mops and after destroying two in the wash I now just bring my own.

Right now I only clean one place, so I do bathrooms one day and nonbathrooms on another, so no more worrying about cross contamination.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode