Needing a few hints and tips - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-15-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Question Needing a few hints and tips

Hey,
I am a night shopping center cleaner and have stepped up to the plate on stripping and sealing our centers 20k square foot floor. There is only one person that has taught me only a little about stripping but mainly about recoating. So I would just like to ask if what I have is the correct steps or whether they need improving:

1) Get up any hair dust folicles from the floor
2) Lay the stripper on the floor making sure that it is an even coat and pushed to the edges
3) As the stripper is going at it scrape the edges making sure to scrape off all the polish that is already on it.
4) With a push scrubber with water in it and black stripper pads attached cover the whole floor with it without the squeegee lowered and than lower the squeegee and pick up all the stripper.
5) Wait for the all the stripper to dry from the floor
6) Mop the whole area with clean water (With or without neutral?)
7) Lay 2 base coat of what ever base coat you have (What does the base coat do? Is it any different to laying top coats?)
8) Lay 4 top coats
9) Burnish the floor than it should look glossy

If you guys have any links to training videos I would love to see them?

Thanks
That guy attempting to step up

BTW this is terrazo floors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-15-2011, 03:00 PM

Hello,

I disagree with step 5 - don't let the stripper dry.

Step 6 - you can add neutralizer or just a vinegar to the bucket with water when you mop. This will neutralize the floor from stripper and prepare it for waxing.

Step 7 and 8 - YES, it's the same product.

If you are dealing with terrazzo, I would dry it good before waxing. Put some airfans and dry terrazzo good before waxing.
post #3 of Old 03-15-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Ok so after step 4) the stripper is all supposed to be all removed from the floor so it is fine to immediately start mopping with neutral?

When you say waxing do you mean using the sealer product or is wax a different product all together eg Equinox (http://www.pioneer-eclipse.com/html/...r_products.php)

and thank you for the prompt reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-15-2011, 03:19 PM

Ok so after step 4) the stripper is all supposed to be all removed from the floor so it is fine to immediately start mopping with neutral?

YES

When you say waxing do you mean using the sealer product or is wax a different product all together eg Equinox (http://www.pioneer-eclipse.com/html/...r_products.php)

Before wax and sealer were different products and people used to put 2 coats of sealer down and then few coats of wax on top. Nowadays wax (or floor finish) is made that way that it has both characteristics of sealer and wax and you can just put the wax on the floor without worrying about sealer.
post #5 of Old 03-15-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

I conclude that i am an ameture in this business but I have found that we are still using is that because of the brand?
Which brand do you have that only requires wax on bare tile?
post #6 of Old 03-15-2011, 03:40 PM

johnson diversey, their products are very good, they have many different floor finishes that are used depending on individual situation. Just find their rep in your areas, explain your situation and they will suggest the product that will fit your needs.

Also post some pictures and let us know how it came out when you are done with this project.

Good Luck!
post #7 of Old 03-15-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Will do man thanks for your help!!
post #8 of Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 PM

in a 24 hr supermarket &retail stores myself

if you started let me know how it went.
1 do they drag there pallets everywhere hey go causing re dos hrly.
2nutralizer not neutral soap.
3 never let stripper dry.pond or begin to set up.
mke
post #9 of Old 03-31-2011, 07:24 PM

dry stripping

The other day the guy at my local janitorial store told me that you can now dry strip a floor. He didn't know much about it so I looked into it. Here's a link to a video dry stripping floor. I am not associated with these people at all, I've never even done it, just trying to be of help. I guess it has the advantage of being less messy -easier to clean up after.

Bainbridge Island Window Cleaning
& Janitorial
post #10 of Old 04-01-2011, 10:35 AM

they work well . used a clark boost scrubber green only water. there called
surface prep pads .mke
post #11 of Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 AM

signiture turning black?

anyone know why. mke
post #12 of Old 01-28-2012, 06:18 PM

My only suggestion is Do Not let the stripper dry. Any updates on how did it go since the post has been sometime now. Cheers
post #13 of Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 AM

My two cents

1. Dust mop/ vacuum floor
2. Dilute stripper as recommended
3. Apply stripper to section of floor (for large areas) You do not want the stripper to dry onto the floor.
4. Use low speed buffer and stripper pad to work up the old wax
5. Clean edges with doodle pad and/or floor scraper
6. Vacuum up with wet vac
7. Mop with clean water
8. Mop a second time with clean water
9. Mop a third time with clean water
10. Mop a last time with a neutral cleaner such as Nu-Tral Cleaner or Easy Paks floor neutralizer
11. Allow to dry completely
12. Apply first coat of wax (thin) using a bucket with a new liner and a new/clean applicator mop or microfiber pad and allow to dry
13. Repeat until four coats are down

If the stripper was not completely removed, you may see tiny bubbles or spider web type lines on the newly waxed floor. Avoid this by going the extra mile of rinsing your floor well after stripping.
post #14 of Old 02-25-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyH View Post
My only suggestion is Do Not let the stripper dry. Any updates on how did it go since the post has been sometime now. Cheers
I second this!
post #15 of Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 PM

Signature

We had a customer that also had Signature turn "black" after applicaiton. We were told that we had put it on too thick.

Tags
stripping , vht

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode