Is there that much floor work? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-03-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Is there that much floor work?

Woohoo! First post in the new forum!!!

Is there that much floor work out there, aside from carpet cleaning, to keep someone busy full time? I've considered at one point adding this service, but was hesitant to invest the money on equipment and supplies not knowing what type of market there is. I know every area is different, but are there any of you floor guys who do floor care full time?

Is it mostly cleaning/stripping/sealing/waxing VCT, or is there a lot I'm missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-03-2006, 07:13 PM

Any place that has VCT needs to have it stripped/waxed/maintained.
Most guys who do it full time have maintenance contracts with chain stores of some kind. A guy that I used to work with has had the same district of Family Dollar stores for almost ten years now. He strips them annually, does a maintenance scrub/wax quarterly, and buffs them monthly. It's his full-time job.
I am not interested in working every night so I don't do any grocery stores or high traffic stores that need constant maintenance. I have a developer with a lot of commercial properties that I have been doing some new construction jobs for and some smaller accounts that I do monthly or quarterly.
post #3 of Old 07-04-2006, 04:14 PM

Mike,
I had many contractor customers ranging from one man to 450 janitors. If you do commercial buildings, you pretty well must do floors. The old saying, if you want to get the account, you better be able to take care of the whole account. As an example, major high rise buildings have mostly carpet but stone lobbys, and kitchen areas and or some offices which are either vct wood and cork and mamolium. Each handled differently. As a side note, most of these types of buildings go for approx 6.5 cents a foot with one man carring a 35 to 40 thousand sq. ft. work load. The periodicals are usualy done by a septialty crew.
Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode