Built and sold a $2ml dollars janitorial company. Now using my AdWords account to get - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-20-2016, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Built and sold a $2ml dollars janitorial company. Now using my AdWords account to get

After owning my janitorial company in FL for almost 4 years, I decided I wanted to go back to tech, so I sold it just over two years ago.

I used only ONE channel for marketing, AdWords. I agree with everybody here, AdWords can be very, very expensive and will take anyone years to build a COAST EFFECTIVE AdWords account for janitorial services. There is so much trial and error; I literally spent close to $200k of my own money in the first couple of years to build my system. It was worth every penny as my company was netting over $500k a year in profit by the time I sold it.

When I first bought my company in 2009, it was turning about $250k a year in sales, my last year of ownership (2013) I grossed over $1.8m and I was the only sales person closing the leads I was getting. I subbed the actual work and focused only on getting the leads, closing them. I could’ve easily continued to grow my company but I suck at operations and things were starting to get out of hand at that type of revenue.

The company that bought my company hired me remotely to generate leads for their other locations using AdWords after seeing my company’s growth.

After a few years of getting leads for them, as well two other companies that I’ve known the owners for years, my wife suggested I should find other clients that might benefit from my system/expertise.

My background is in tech, so I spent countless hours and days building my system to outsmart other, deeper pocketed competitors. I didn’t have the big boys’ budget but I wanted their exposure. The trick became how to filter out unwanted clicks. My system utilizes hundreds of data points from AdWords, Analytics and Clicky to adjust (on the fly) almost every aspect of AdWords bidding. I also spend 2-3 hours a day refining my algorithms.

In addition, having owned a janitorial company and not simply being a general marketer, I understand very well the psychology of people looking for janitorial services on Google.

I only know how to generate janitorial services leads, nothing else. The key for my success with AdWords is borderline OCD with NOT wasting money and making every click count. My current clients fixed monthly spend ranges $500-$1500 a month (per city) and get anywhere from 3-20 strong leads a month. If you convert one lead into a $2000 a month account with 35% margin, all future leads are covered if you keep your monthly spend budget at $500. In my experience, every city has its own optimal monthly spend and that hardly ever changes from year to year.

Click on the link in my signature for more info on how I can help your company grow.

Richard

Generating commercial cleaning leads. www.JanitorialServiceLeads.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-25-2016, 09:56 AM

What was your company in Florida?

SERVPRO Daytona Beach, since 1989
http://www.servprosouthdaytonabeachportorange.com
post #3 of Old 07-25-2016, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

I'm sorry, but as I'm sure anyone who sold to a private buyer can attest, I'm in no position to mention any specific details publicly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-25-2016, 11:08 AM

Understood, I've never had good luck with Adwords. Maybe I'll take a look at it again.

SERVPRO Daytona Beach, since 1989
http://www.servprosouthdaytonabeachportorange.com
post #5 of Old 07-25-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanitorialServiceLeads View Post
After owning my janitorial company in FL for almost 4 years, I decided I wanted to go back to tech, so I sold it just over two years ago.

I used only ONE channel for marketing, AdWords. I agree with everybody here, AdWords can be very, very expensive and will take anyone years to build a COAST EFFECTIVE AdWords account for janitorial services. There is so much trial and error; I literally spent close to $200k of my own money in the first couple of years to build my system. It was worth every penny as my company was netting over $500k a year in profit by the time I sold it.

When I first bought my company in 2009, it was turning about $250k a year in sales, my last year of ownership (2013) I grossed over $1.8m and I was the only sales person closing the leads I was getting. I subbed the actual work and focused only on getting the leads, closing them. I could’ve easily continued to grow my company but I suck at operations and things were starting to get out of hand at that type of revenue.

The company that bought my company hired me remotely to generate leads for their other locations using AdWords after seeing my company’s growth.

After a few years of getting leads for them, as well two other companies that I’ve known the owners for years, my wife suggested I should find other clients that might benefit from my system/expertise.

My background is in tech, so I spent countless hours and days building my system to outsmart other, deeper pocketed competitors. I didn’t have the big boys’ budget but I wanted their exposure. The trick became how to filter out unwanted clicks. My system utilizes hundreds of data points from AdWords, Analytics and Clicky to adjust (on the fly) almost every aspect of AdWords bidding. I also spend 2-3 hours a day refining my algorithms.

In addition, having owned a janitorial company and not simply being a general marketer, I understand very well the psychology of people looking for janitorial services on Google.

I only know how to generate janitorial services leads, nothing else. The key for my success with AdWords is borderline OCD with NOT wasting money and making every click count. My current clients fixed monthly spend ranges $500-$1500 a month (per city) and get anywhere from 3-20 strong leads a month. If you convert one lead into a $2000 a month account with 35% margin, all future leads are covered if you keep your monthly spend budget at $500. In my experience, every city has its own optimal monthly spend and that hardly ever changes from year to year.

Click on the link in my signature for more info on how I can help your company grow.

Richard
Interesting information and welcome to the forums!

I see you're located in FL, do you work with clients outside of the state or are you local based only?

Also do you only do work for contractors? What about distributors?
post #6 of Old 07-25-2016, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERVPRO_Daytona View Post
Understood, I've never had good luck with Adwords. Maybe I'll take a look at it again.
I know how tough it is and lord knows I wrestled with it for a while and it cost me untold thousands in trial and error.

However, once mastered, it became sweet victory and highly addictive. In fact, I no longer stressed when I lost an account because I knew more leads were coming and all I had to do was close them.

Good luck, and let me know if you have any questions, don't mind helping out at all.

post #7 of Old 07-25-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffelle View Post
Interesting information and welcome to the forums!

I see you're located in FL, do you work with clients outside of the state or are you local based only?

Also do you only do work for contractors? What about distributors?
Thank you for the warm welcome. I currently have clients in five states.

My experience has been with commercial janitorial services only, not distributers. While the principals of using AdWords and methodologies are the same, psychology of the searches are very different. I can start marketing any janitorial services company at the drop of a hat but it would take me some time to market distributors. I know this doesn't sound inspiring, but I'd rather not mislead anyone.

post #8 of Old 07-25-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanitorialServiceLeads View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome. I currently have clients in five states.

My experience has been with commercial janitorial services only, not distributers. While the principals of using AdWords and methodologies are the same, psychology of the searches are very different. I can start marketing any janitorial services company at the drop of a hat but it would take me some time to market distributors. I know this doesn't sound inspiring, but I'd rather not mislead anyone.
No problem at all! I thought I'd ask

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode