Freakin New Guy - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-02-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Freakin New Guy

Well the forum suggested I intro myself so I thought I would. My name is Tim and I am looking at starting a small janitorial service company. I have done some small jobs with a friend of mine on the past and enjoyed it. I plan on starting small and not quitting my day job for quite some time (work a few jobs as I acquire then on nights/weekends until I can make it my full time profession).

My BIGGEST concern is bidding as I know going in too high or too low can kill your business quickly.

I have a background in sales and marketing (including a lot of b2b), so I am not real concerned with that. Although, any advice you have on specific marketing for cleaning business I would be glad to take it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-02-2012, 03:21 PM

Welcome to the board Tim. Although I have no advice for commercial work, I do wish you luck!
post #3 of Old 07-02-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar93 View Post
Welcome to the board Tim. Although I have no advice for commercial work, I do wish you luck!
Thanks SC93

I am not opposed to doing some house cleaning as well but I am not planning on that being the focus of my business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 PM

That's cool. I originally got in to residential and once I had a lot of employees we tried to get commercial work but only got a few accounts due to the time it took to get the accounts. In the time it took to get 1 commercial account I could get 25 residential accounts and be making money for a few months from them. But plenty of people have success doing commercial work.

I do know that the phone is your best friend for commercial work. Devote any and all spare time you have in a day to calling local businesses. The way I know this is because I have a friend that used to call for a franchise and that was how they got all their business for their franchisees. They had 2 girls call 8 hours a day 5 days a week and they would get 5 bids per day. I'm sure you don't have that kind of money to put in to that and neither did I... but I know the phones work if utilized as much as possible.

I saw some of the prices for their accounts and there is no way I would waste my time with those prices... but they were a franchise and the franchisees didn't have much choice except to work for peanuts once they signed the paperwork.
post #5 of Old 07-02-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's cool. I originally got in to residential and once I had a lot of employees we tried to get commercial work but only got a few accounts due to the time it took to get the accounts. In the time it took to get 1 commercial account I could get 25 residential accounts and be making money for a few months from them. But plenty of people have success doing commercial work.

I do know that the phone is your best friend for commercial work. Devote any and all spare time you have in a day to calling local businesses. The way I know this is because I have a friend that used to call for a franchise and that was how they got all their business for their franchisees. They had 2 girls call 8 hours a day 5 days a week and they would get 5 bids per day. I'm sure you don't have that kind of money to put in to that and neither did I... but I know the phones work if utilized as much as possible.

I saw some of the prices for their accounts and there is no way I would waste my time with those prices... but they were a franchise and the franchisees didn't have much choice except to work for peanuts once they signed the paperwork.
Wow you got a lot of good information, thanks! I have looked at some videos of biding software and I almost thing I could copy their formulas to a spreadsheet based on the values used in the video. Do you have any software you recommend for bidding?
post #6 of Old 07-02-2012, 05:13 PM

I've always used my eyes. lol I walk in to a house... I know how long it takes to clean it so I bid accordingly. Back when I bid commercial I'm not sure they had much software on that sort of thing. I did a walk though, took notes and figured up a bid. Then I delivered the bid in person.

I was never good at commercial bidding because I bid too high. I'm not sending anyone to a job that only brings in $35 even if its for a small office and only takes 45 minutes. I do have 1 office now that takes an hour and I charge $75. Back in the day we had a 13000sf medical building that took 3.5 hours to clean and I charged $140 per night, 5 nights per week.

Why do anything that pays less than what residential brings in was what I always went by. I doubt when I go back to having employees in August that we will have any commercial jobs other than the 1 office job I currently have.
post #7 of Old 07-02-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I've always used my eyes. lol I walk in to a house... I know how long it takes to clean it so I bid accordingly. Back when I bid commercial I'm not sure they had much software on that sort of thing. I did a walk though, took notes and figured up a bid. Then I delivered the bid in person.

I was never good at commercial bidding because I bid too high. I'm not sending anyone to a job that only brings in $35 even if its for a small office and only takes 45 minutes. I do have 1 office now that takes an hour and I charge $75. Back in the day we had a 13000sf medical building that took 3.5 hours to clean and I charged $140 per night, 5 nights per week.

Why do anything that pays less than what residential brings in was what I always went by. I doubt when I go back to having employees in August that we will have any commercial jobs other than the 1 office job I currently have.
Thank you for the info SC93
post #8 of Old 07-03-2012, 12:28 AM

Now keep in mind... that is just MY thoughts on the whole thing. There are people that have made millions from commercial cleaning... it just isn't MY thing.
post #10 of Old 06-19-2015, 04:54 AM

Hello Tim.welcome.
post #11 of Old 07-17-2015, 06:40 AM

Welcome here.
post #12 of Old 07-27-2015, 06:43 PM

Hello Tim I'm also getting back into the cleaning business.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode