Hello..... - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-19-2009, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Hello.....

Hello,

I am a maintenance Supervisor with a few Housekeepers in a local business and with my limited knowledge of floor care it has been a challenge keeping up with the VCT floors at work. I am the only one who can operate the buffer and scrubber at this time and boy oh boy has it been a struggle the last few weeks.

Anyway, hopefully someone around here has some floor care experience they would like to share with me. Maybe I'll bounce around from thread to thread and get smart...

Last edited by Speedball; 03-19-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-20-2009, 07:56 AM
J4K

Welcome, what exactly do you need help with?
post #3 of Old 03-20-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

I have 12"x12" vinyl tile which obviously has a bit of dirt underneath a few layers of finish which is ok for now until I strip it some day in the future. Now there is a decent layer of finish but I'm having the hardest time getting it to shine like it should. I see pictures of crystal clear finishes of floor jobs that look like water which is what I hope to achieve some day.

For months I used a white pad and it just never seemed to do well at all. Then I tried the tan pad which didn't seem to look so well either. Lately I laid down about 3-4 layers of finish and have been using a 1500 rpm burnisher with an Aqua pad to dry buff about twice a week. What I'm seeing is a "haze" finish look to it.

My supplier who visits once a week has admitted he does not know a lot about floor care and says people sometimes put too much effort into making them look nice, but he is willing to sell me anything I want.
His last suggestion was to use my slow scrubber with a red pad to then lay a coat of finish then polish to a high gloss with the aqua pad.

I have the red pads and floor finish ready to go when I get time in the next week or so but I'm hesitant to waste my time.

How can I get the "glassy wet look" all the floor pros seem to produce?

I can build nice cabinets and remodel a home but this floor care has me stumped. Really, I would volunteer to help a guy for free locally if I can learn how to make a floor shine. I'm bursting at the seams with all the wrong equipment and information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-20-2009, 05:09 PM
J4K

Most if not all of those really nice looking floor pictures you are seeing are taken right after a fresh strip and wax job. That is why they look so good.

What type of finish are you using? Sometimes a finish will haze if the coats were not allowed to dry in between.
You can do what your supply person suggested but it will only look so good. It will be an improvement over how they look now. But to really get that wet look I would strip to the crown and lay down 5 to 6 coats of a high quality finish. We use Betco Hybrid and Betco hard as nails. Then burnish with a restorer product to bring back the shine as needed.
We use a 2000 rpm machine with hog's hair pads and Betco restorer.
post #5 of Old 03-20-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

I don't have the exact name, it's Sunline-Sunshine something like that. Was using 25% solids and switched to 18% solids because the guy said it would provide a harder finish.
My largest area is about 30'x30' circling a bar with lot's of bar stool legs being pounded down daily.

Unfortunately I have exactly 4 hours every morning to do something with these floors before the customers start rolling in. I was wondering how long it takes for a layer of finish to completely harden? Maybe that is part of the problem? I only lay one coat per day.

Someone else mentioned the hogs hair pad, maybe my supplier can get me one. When the boss lets me spend some money I am going to check into a higher RPM burnisher. Betco Restorer.....Mmmmm, sounds interesting.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Speedball; 03-20-2009 at 05:47 PM.
post #6 of Old 03-20-2009, 05:48 PM
J4K

Higher solids should make it a harder finish unless I am mistaken. I would go with a product such as hard as nails, we have found it to be very durable. http://www.betco.com/FloorCare/Pages/Finishes.aspx?ProdDispGrp=65&Attribute=192|243&Cla ssID=
Also, do you use a mop on restorer when you burnish? If not use something like this http://www.betco.com/FloorCare/Pages...ProdDispGrp=95
Dry times on finish will vary greatly depending on the finish itself, how thik it is put down, and temperature and humidity in the room. Some are dry in 30 minutes or some an hour or more. You could use a fan as well to help the drying time. Hope this helps!
post #7 of Old 03-20-2009, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Interesting products. I just recently quit using some stuff called Spray Buff because it was beginning to flake off in a couple areas like it wasn't adhering properly. Apparently it was supposed to be sprayed on just before and during buffing.
I inherited this job and it's responsibilities and has proven to be a challenge.

My recent hire who claimed to know all about floors diluted the floor finish with water, about 50/50, mops it on then proceeded to buff the floor. He referred to it as "water-n-wax". I suppose the thin layer would look ok but the floor looked like it needed a much heavier layer. That's when I decided to lay down a few good coats and continue with the aqua pads.

I'm also in the process of shopping around for a new supplier with better pricing per the office. I personally think sometimes you get what you pay for so I'm a little hesitant to jump too quickly. Then again my guy now.....

Hey! Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode