Hello - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-20-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Hello

Hi. I am in need of advice. My house is horribly cluttered, I only have 2 closets in the whole house (1 in each bedroom). I am very OCD about things at work being in order, but as soon as I get home, I feel overwhelmed and don't know where to start. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-20-2018, 05:35 PM

Oh boy, do I understand! I live in a fairly small apartment, 2 bedrooms two baths and 2 small closets. I have had to figure out ways to maximize space since I LOVE clothing (even though it all comes from Thrift Shops!)

I, too, have OCD tendencies. And that is why I got into cleaning houses...putting that to use!

What you need to do is perhaps a bit extreme for you right now. Get a few trash bags. You have to force yourself to go through each room and put in those bags every single thing you dont actually use or wear. Be brutally honest about this! Getting rid of extreme clutter can be very theraputic, as long as you are tough on what you put in those bags.

I do this all the time. For example: I always put new sheets on my bed on Saturdays. IO had bought a nice set of sheets at a thirft shop but over time, they shrank! Tomorrow, I will put those sheets into a trash bag and take them BACK to a thrift shop. I also plan to go through my closet and discard some clothing I truly do not wear.

OCD is common and tricky to work with. What has worked for me is being tough on it all and forcing me to discard stuff. This will help you too and give you a sense of having POWER over the OCD thing.
post #3 of Old 07-20-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the suggestion! I will give that a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-21-2018, 08:04 AM

I have another trick for you - to save space in your closets. This sounds silly but it works. Get some flexible wire at the dollar store. It is made for floral arrangements and is very flexible. Cut it into about 4 inch pieces and with those pieces, form them into rings. If you put one around the "neck" of each hanger in your closets, you can then put TWO articles of clothing on each hanger. This truly does save space. I saw this on Pinterest and was sceptical until I tried it. It works! It was like gaining several feet of space in MY two small closets!

I went into the cleaning business sort of because I have OCD tendencies. I decided to put it to good use in cleaning houses.

With OCD, it helps if you put it to good use instead of goofy ones. Since you dislike all of your clutter, put that OCD thing to use and clean it all up......you will feel SO good when its all done!
post #5 of Old 07-25-2018, 06:37 AM

I just recently moved into a small house after living in a much larger one for quite a few years. I had gathered quite a bit of stuff over the years and have had to cut down on clutter considerably in the past 6 months. My best suggestion is utilize the space on your walls everywhere that you can! You can find nice looking shelves for very cheap just about anywhere, or even build your own. This can provide space to put a lot of the small clutter items and even serve to decorate depending on what you have! Hope that helps
post #6 of Old 07-25-2018, 07:30 AM

I think most Americans have this problem. Compared to many places, we are "wealthy." And tend to Collect Stuff. I am certainly not rich but do have too much stuff. Have to MAKE myself go through it and give stuff to my favrotie charity (Humane Society).

Thats a good idea to utilize wall - vertical space! Go online and look at photos of how people live in Tiny Houses. They have to try even harder to get rid of clutter and be creative about storage.

Every time I drop off some of my stuff at the Humane Sopciety Thrift Shop, I feel a weight lifted off my shoulders. It is a GOOD feeling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode