Hello! I need some advice. - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-26-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Hello! I need some advice.

Hello! My name is Patricia and I am from Traverse City, MI. I am currently working for a television station as a hub operator. I basically get paid to watch television all day for the NBC and ABC affiliates up here. It's a great job but there's no real chance for advancement and I am starting to get bored with it. I want to start cleaning residential or commercial buildings part time and eventually want to consider expanding it into my own cleaning business.
The main issue is, I have no idea how to get started. I have worked at a ski resort before cleaning hotel rooms and condos, plus my brother used to clean out foreclosed homes and I would help him out, so I need all the advice I can get. I need to know what kind of services I should offer, what equipment I will need, how to advertise my self, and how to price out the jobs.
Thank you for reading my post and any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-26-2011, 11:34 AM

Hi Patricia

Welcome to the forums.
The first thing I would do is create a business plan.

Outline your goals

1 month
3 months
6 months
1 year
2 year
5 Years etc, etc, etc

In your business plan, the most important aspect I would focus on is your marketing plan.

If you dont have customers, you will not have a business.

Getting started on the operational stuff, will require capital and research.

I hope I can help, but if I was going to drive to California, I would look at a roadmap first
post #3 of Old 10-26-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice. I will defintiely start with a business plan and use a roadmap if traveling to California.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-27-2011, 04:26 PM

yeah the most important thing is to have a destination. and welcome to the forums.
post #5 of Old 11-02-2011, 02:03 AM

Thumbs up Hi Patricia :)

Patricia-

The fellow members are right, you have to have a clear lineup of your business plan before you get started. Also check into green or eco friendly cleaning products to use because more and more people are looking for that and you have to keep up with demand.

Do some shopping around to local companies in your area to check their prices and services if you need to. Just remember you need to offer something unique or different that sets you apart to really succeed. Whether that is low prices or out of the box services doesn't matter just that you find something. Hope this helps and best of luck to you...PS: I would love to get paid to watch TV

I'm a Rep at www.suncoastclean.com
post #6 of Old 11-02-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpetGenie View Post
Patricia-

The fellow members are right, you have to have a clear lineup of your business plan before you get started. Also check into green or eco friendly cleaning products to use because more and more people are looking for that and you have to keep up with demand.

Do some shopping around to local companies in your area to check their prices and services if you need to. Just remember you need to offer something unique or different that sets you apart to really succeed. Whether that is low prices or out of the box services doesn't matter just that you find something. Hope this helps and best of luck to you...PS: I would love to get paid to watch TV

I'm a Rep at www.suncoastclean.com
Staying up to date with the times is definitely a good way to ensure a stable future for your business.
post #7 of Old 11-04-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicExteriorCleaning View Post
Hi Patricia

Welcome to the forums.
The first thing I would do is create a business plan.

Outline your goals

1 month
3 months
6 months
1 year
2 year
5 Years etc, etc, etc

In your business plan, the most important aspect I would focus on is your marketing plan.

If you dont have customers, you will not have a business.

Getting started on the operational stuff, will require capital and research.

I hope I can help, but if I was going to drive to California, I would look at a roadmap first
This is some good advice. Also, do a search on Amazon for the term "How to Start a Cleaning Business" and pickup a few books on the subject. Thats actually what I did.
post #8 of Old 11-04-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Wow, thank you for all of your great advice! I hope you guy have a great day! I am working on the business plan and am currently researching the local businesses. I haven't found a uniqueness yet, I am still working on that, but hopefully I will figure out something.
post #9 of Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiM View Post
Hello! My name is Patricia and I am from Traverse City, MI. I am currently working for a television station as a hub operator. I basically get paid to watch television all day for the NBC and ABC affiliates up here. It's a great job but there's no real chance for advancement and I am starting to get bored with it. I want to start cleaning residential or commercial buildings part time and eventually want to consider expanding it into my own cleaning business.
The main issue is, I have no idea how to get started. I have worked at a ski resort before cleaning hotel rooms and condos, plus my brother used to clean out foreclosed homes and I would help him out, so I need all the advice I can get. I need to know what kind of services I should offer, what equipment I will need, how to advertise my self, and how to price out the jobs.
Thank you for reading my post and any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day!
Hello patricia, 1st of all welcome to the forum, starting a cleaning business is not that very difficult, our fellow members are right you need a business plan... you should start in your location first and once you grow you should consider advertising and marketing your services, there are also lots cleaning business guides which can help you through the way... cleaning business is very easy and fun work... hope this one helps...
post #10 of Old 11-05-2011, 02:52 PM

I just thought of something else that will help you out a lot as a new business. Take some time to figure out who makes up your demographic where clients are concerned. Once you have that figured out then you can evaluate the things that this demographic will respond positively to so that you have a starting point on where and how to market properly. Just a thought, good luck again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode