Hello From The Old Line State - Maryland - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-02-2015, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Hello From The Old Line State - Maryland

Good Morning Folks,

I'm from Maryland, hate it or love it. I have a full time job with the gov, but I'm helping my fiance start a Home and Office Cleaning biz. She's basically the muscle, and I do the behind the scenes work, such as forming the business, taxes, contracts, etc.

We've been in business for just over a month now, and we have a whopping ONE customer so far. We have a website, Facebook page, sending emails, spreading the word with friends and family, and some other forms of marketing. We're hoping that one day the phone will start ringing, but until then we're going to keep pounding the pavement.

I'm sure along the way I'll have a ton of questions, so keep an eye out for me. I'm glad to be on board here, reading the posts have put my mind at ease with a few things so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-02-2015, 11:49 AM

Welcome to the sight. How many hours per day does your wife plan to clean each day?
post #3 of Old 07-02-2015, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Well for the time being, her threshhold will be about 5-6 hours per day (Monday through Friday). Once we are approaching that number, we will look to bring on another cleaner to partner up with her. Once that cleaner works through the probationary period and is capable/trusted enough, she will go out on her own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-02-2015, 12:47 PM

So let's take 6 hours per day. If she had been putting out flyers for 6 hours per day, yes, it would be grueling but worth it. She could have had an EASY 5000 in the hands of potential customers by now.

You have 1 customer doing the marketing the way most other cleaners do it (the lazy 2015 way), you could have had atleast 30-50 calls IF she can make a winning flyer. But before she even makes the flyer tell her to make her bid sheet and any other paper work she may need. Then make the flyer and pass them out. If she gets started today she can be ready to hit the neighborhoods next Monday and have calls rolling in next week. I pass them out so fast we normally have calls coming in before we finish passing them out.

And the way it would work is like this..... if she cleans for 3.5 hours per day, that means she still has 2.5 hours of flyers to pass out. Yep, cleaning will make a person tired but tell her to think with her calculator, it doesn't get tired and it loves to add dollars.
post #5 of Old 07-02-2015, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, I wouldn't exactly say that we're doing things the lazy way. We send emails to local companies, I'd say roughly 30 - 50 personalized emails PER DAY, we've put professional looking street signs on about 30 high traffic intersections, we've made about 30 phone calls to local businesses (cold calls, and I admit, that number is a bit low), business cards on any corkboard I can think of in any local stores that presents them, created a website and in the process of working out the SEO kinks, created accounts on facebook, linkedIn and other social media.

We would like to go door to door and pass out brochures but haven't found a cost effective way to print out thousands of brochures/flyers yet. Our start up capital is running thin at this point, so if anybody has advice on how to print thousands of flyers for cheap, by all means, TELL ME!!!!

She manages to get alot of marketing stuff, while tending to our 9 month old. Too be honest, I'm a bit nervous for when the phone starts ringing and we start building our clientele, but I welcome the challenge!

Check out our website AmericanCleanTeamLLC . com I know its weak, but its a start. There is alot more we want to add to it.
post #6 of Old 07-02-2015, 03:13 PM

Well, if she passes out 5000 flyers she will tell you herself that y'all were doing things the LAZY way. My 12 year old grandson went to his moms for the summer with blisters on his toes from passing out flyers. lol As a matter of fact, the odds are that she won't make it to 5000 because it is hard work! But I love the outcome $$$$$$

I started printing flyers for myself on my printer in 1995 (I had a mowing business back then) and when I had several employees I still printed them myself and still today I print them myself. About 2 cents each. There are some tricks to getting them down to 2 cents each but I can't give up my secrets. Anyone can figure it out if they try.

Do not print up 5000 flyers all at once. Print up 400-500 and pass them out. If she wants to change them up..... give them a lil change. They all take a lil tweeking to get them right. It took me 20 years but the people that call from my current flyer tell me it is one of the best marketing pieces they have ever seen. Funny thing is that it revolves around 1 word that has nothing to do with cleaning or business in any way.
post #7 of Old 07-02-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Can I buy a vowel? Just kidding, I sure would like to know what that word is, but I'm assuming its a family secret.

I can tell you that we are getting phone calls, and I know that our prices are comparable to our competitors, but we're not landing the gigs. Then I completely ruin it with a follow up telling them that we can go a bit lower. I've never been a sales person, and I kind of thought the service sells itself, but I need to learn how to close a deal.

As for the flyers, I think I will just start printing out some of our own and passing them out in our targeted neighborhoods. Do you just wedge them in the door or put them in the mailbox?
post #8 of Old 07-02-2015, 06:50 PM

My red flag in your last post was PHONE CALL. Is she not going to their house and giving them a bid?

Here is who calls and wants a price over the phone.... everyone except a REAL customer.

There is only 1 person from this board that is going to know what that 1 magical word is and he is coming to my house for a 3 day training session in a couple of weeks.
post #9 of Old 07-06-2015, 04:42 PM

Sprintcar93..you really should write a book
post #10 of Old 07-06-2015, 07:19 PM

The Adventures Of A Toilet Cleaner
post #11 of Old 09-08-2015, 07:23 AM

Welcome to the cleaning talk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode