Hi CleaningTalk pros! - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-27-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Hi CleaningTalk pros!

Hi forum members,
My name is Steve Patrick. I'm located in Columbus OH. I own and operate a residential cleaning co. " All About The House". I also own a natural stone restoration service specializing in countertop repair. With the advent of more granite and marble surfaces in homes(and my share of "what do I do with this?") I saw a need for such a service. I wanted to properly introduce myself, say hi to everybody and hope I can help in one way or another.
Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-27-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Patrick View Post
Hi forum members,
My name is Steve Patrick. I'm located in Columbus OH. I own and operate a residential cleaning co. " All About The House". I also own a natural stone restoration service specializing in countertop repair. With the advent of more granite and marble surfaces in homes(and my share of "what do I do with this?") I saw a need for such a service. I wanted to properly introduce myself, say hi to everybody and hope I can help in one way or another.
Thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve and welcome!

Used to work with elementary schools in Columbus and have fond memories of your city.

You have a very viable market in the stone restoration and maintenance business. Most of my clients have those surfaces and the care of them require specialized treatment.

Slate is my biggest concern. Such a pain to clean. Always marks on it on the floors, etc.,

suzi

Last edited by suzikg; 03-27-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of Old 03-28-2008, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Hi Suzi thanks for the welcome. I might be able to help re: advice on the slate floors. I don't restore floors but I know people who do. Most often older slate floors have a urethane\acrylic coating. Fun stuff trying to maintain..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-28-2008, 05:30 PM

Hi Steve!
Welcome to the site. I too have alot of customers who have the granite counter tops, They always asked "how do you get them to shine?" They all say they never can get them to look like they do when I get done cleaning them. I will take that as a compliment!
post #5 of Old 03-28-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Patrick View Post
Hi Suzi thanks for the welcome. I might be able to help re: advice on the slate floors. I don't restore floors but I know people who do. Most often older slate floors have a urethane\acrylic coating. Fun stuff trying to maintain..
These are unsealed black/dark gray slates. Massive home with lots of it and it's even on their wet bar countertops and some leading up to their indoor pool. Lots of white streaks and "spider poop droppings" on the floors around the perimeters of the rooms and in the pool area.

I've tried cleaning it with plain water, ph neutral stuff, scrubbing with brushes...ugh...and it's a moot point now as the house is under contract to sell but it would be nice to know what to use to clean unsealed indoor slate for future reference. It always looks "not clean"!

suzi
post #6 of Old 03-28-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzikg View Post
These are unsealed black/dark gray slates. Massive home with lots of it and it's even on their wet bar countertops and some leading up to their indoor pool. Lots of white streaks and "spider poop droppings" on the floors around the perimeters of the rooms and in the pool area.

I've tried cleaning it with plain water, ph neutral stuff, scrubbing with brushes...ugh...and it's a moot point now as the house is under contract to sell but it would be nice to know what to use to clean unsealed indoor slate for future reference. It always looks "not clean"!

suzi
Let me pose this question to a person I know in FL. I'll F.Y.I. the info in a thread. TGIF!
post #7 of Old 03-28-2008, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlyhomes View Post
Hi Steve!
Welcome to the site. I too have alot of customers who have the granite counter tops, They always asked "how do you get them to shine?" They all say they never can get them to look like they do when I get done cleaning them. I will take that as a compliment!
Hi Beth,
Louisville speaks! My sister lives in Simpsonville KY. Our "trade secrets" is what keep us in the biz -right? I always tell the clients w\ granite - "First ,throw away those sponges!" A little elbow grease and a dry surface after makes a difference.Thanks for the welcome.
Steve
post #8 of Old 03-28-2008, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Suzi,
Just a little info that might help on the streaking problem I found in a data base..."When dealing with colored slates there are two distinct types, Fading and Unfading. After a period of exposure to the environment (sun/water) fading slates will alter generally to a lighter color. The unfading varieties will retain their true colors. Multi-colored slates used for flooring will undergo color changes in abrasive foot-traffic areas. The colors in these varieties of slates are in thin bedded layers...Some slates will dust for awhile after installation on floors as loose scale is removed by foot traffic."
The info also recommended sealing the slate to slow down the process especially the darker slates. I agree slate is a hard surface to maintain anything dark shows everything!I'll talk to my "floor guy" in Fl this weekend. He usually gives an economical fix for these problems.
post #9 of Old 03-28-2008, 10:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TailoredMaid
Welcome Steve!

I used to live outside of Columbus (well, sorta...) in Morrow County. I grew up there. My Dad worked in Columbus. I was just visiting Columbus two years ago. I can't believe how much it has grown!

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Torrey

Torrey Shannon
Executive Director/Spokesperson
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #10 of Old 03-31-2008, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Hi Torrey,

Yep, Cols. has grown a bit. Having Les Wexner basing most of his corporate offices has helped. Cost of living here isn't bad either.
I'm amazed when I talk to friends out west(AZ) about how much prices have skyrocketed. 12 years of biz, lots of "ebb and flow" , Cols. has been good to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode