I who know nothing, & somehow gave a cont. a proposal - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-02-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Question I who know nothing, & somehow gave a cont. a proposal

Hello all, my name is Tommy and I'm a noobie in this business. I use to work as a detention center officer for the INS, but then Hurricane Dolly came around and took away our jobs. The company had us go file for unemployment and I tried to do so but never recieve a penny from them. My funds where going low and I starting thinking what can I do for myself!
I came across a medical clinic manager who was yapping away about what a poor job there cleaning guy does. I told her why don't you just hire someone else and she said because he was cheap! The cleaning guy goes to the clinic 5 times a week for about and one hour or so. He does the basics (sweep, mop, trash, wipe downs, etc) And they pay him about 750 a month. I figured hey that comes out to about about 25 bucks an hour minus the chemicals of course. So that got my wheels turning!!!! I went home made a flyer, business cards, registered my business name and got a tax number!
Fast forward to a week later and now I have a business that I need to pay taxes to come this Janurary but have no clients! lol, I have gone door to door and introduce myself. Just about everyone already has thier "cleaning personal" and have only made one bid. I guess that is good being that I've only been at it a week!
Anyways, I found you all by tring to find help on how to make bids, and now here we find me! By the way thank you for staying with me if you are still reading! lol, This site helped me come up with my bid! I almost went with .30 a sq. ft. because that is what my brother in law said I should charge, but it seems to high. After reading a little bit here and there I came down to .15 a sq.ft. and did not include any window cleaning. That was listed seprately at 4.00 a window or glass door. What do you guys think! I'm new and any infor will help. The work I bidded for today was only going to be for a rough sweep/mop and vaccum after the carpet was installed. A dusting of all fixtures was inclued in my proposal. Please give me your input and thank you for staying with me this long. P.S. the building was a total of 13,230 sq. ft.! Hope to hear from you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-02-2008, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

I wonder if the contractor will call me back, what do you all think! Stay tuned and find out, if he calls back it should be by Friday, because he wanted the work started this Monday! lol, NOW I NEED TO GO BUY SOME BUCKETS AND MOPS......AND BROOMS! lol, that is how bad of a noobie I am (i had plans on buying my supplies and soon as I landed one job!), but hopefully you all can help me shine!
post #3 of Old 10-02-2008, 10:45 PM

Welcome Tommy. I think you might be high for just a one time sweep, mop, and vacuum but I don't have all the details of the building and I don't know your market. If you don't hear from him be sure to call and ask if he has made a decision. If he went with another company, ask why. Be professional. People remember professional long after they forget cheap. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-02-2008, 11:42 PM

Welcome to cleaning talk Tommyr20. You are not alone in your frustrations. Over the past 22 years I can honestly say that time and time again as the economy gets bad I have seen huge influxes of persons trying to jump into self employment. Not to discourage you, just to forewarn you ~ it may take alot more pounding the streets and pressing the flesh in order to even get to the bidding stage of the game.

In reading what you have done so far in setting up your business I did not catch mention of registering your business as a legal entity, or anything about insurance. If you have not done those things you will want to do that before moving forward as few will even accept a bid from someone who is not insured.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask away, we will all try to help you when we can.
post #5 of Old 10-03-2008, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

thank you guys for your input, it's been in the back of my head that maybe the bid was a little high too. but the job is going to require a rough clean and a touch up, it will also include a wipe down of the whole building you know all the counter tops restrooms etc. I did mention by the way that I WOULD NOT BE OUT BIDDED. Should I call them back this afternoon and touch base with him?
post #6 of Old 10-03-2008, 09:52 AM

I would call back and see if there were any questions that you could answer, even if they don't take the call they will know that you are committed to working with them
post #7 of Old 10-03-2008, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

I called back......I GOT THE JOB!!!!! 13,230 SQ FT. AT @ .15 plus 4.00 for any glass (window, mirror, glass door)! Thank you guys for your help, now I need to go out and buy my tools (supplies) any suggestion? I was thinking I'm going to need 2 mop buckets, 2 mops, 2 push brooms, 2 reg. brooms, cloths, and what kind of chemical will I need. Keep in mind I'm starting from zero and I'm trying to become a hero! I start the project on monday so I have plenty of time to research! Thank everone!
post #8 of Old 10-03-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyr20 View Post
I called back......I GOT THE JOB!!!!! 13,230 SQ FT. AT @ .15 plus 4.00 for any glass (window, mirror, glass door)! Thank you guys for your help, now I need to go out and buy my tools (supplies) any suggestion? I was thinking I'm going to need 2 mop buckets, 2 mops, 2 push brooms, 2 reg. brooms, cloths, and what kind of chemical will I need. Keep in mind I'm starting from zero and I'm trying to become a hero! I start the project on monday so I have plenty of time to research! Thank everone!
First and foremost.. excellent job. You did the footwork and got yourslf out there.

Take away a good lesson. 95% of contractors/cleaners out there have no idea what to charge for their services and leave money on the table. Always remember this one fact. Only 1 person out of five buys on price alone. Make some money, get your company a logo, a website and some golf shirts. Once you have professionalism, confidence and a willingness to go chase work, you become successful.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
post #9 of Old 10-03-2008, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your advise PressurePros, I'm already working on getting us some T-shirts with a picture Id hanging around our necks!
post #10 of Old 10-03-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

I have been getting calls from apartments to do clean ups on move outs. they want me to give them a price that will include you know a basic clean up. Frige, stove, floors, carpet, restrooms, bathrooms, windows, front door, patio area. I told them I would get back to them with a bid, but what do you guys think I should bid? please help me out here! Thanks guys......maybe this will also help: all area are carpet except of course restrooms and kitchens!

apt 1 - 700 sq. ft.
1 bedrooms, 1 bath, patio

apt 2 - 840 sq. ft.
2 bedrooms, 1 bath, patio

apt 3 - 940 sq. ft.
2 bedrooms, 2 bath, patio

apt 4 - 1089 sq. ft.
2 bedrooms, 2 bath, patio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode