Just started my own cleaning business - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-06-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Just started my own cleaning business

Hello from Tampa, Florida, i just started my commercial cleaning business and already have a prospect and i have a few questions to ask you:

My prospect is dissatisfied with their current cleaning service, the day care floor area is 14,066 sq ft, they have several rugs totaling an area of 1,787 sq ft. We will clean it 5 times a week, dusting, sweeping and mopping every night.

My questions are the following:

We live in Tampa, FL to give you more information.

How much should we charge per square foot (vinyl floors)?
How much should we charge per square foot for cleaning the carpets ?
Should we charge hourly also on top of the price for square footage? ( we are 2 employees/owners)
How much should we charge for stripping and waxing?, they want the vinyl floors stripped and waxed twice a year.

What formula should i use to take into account the frequency of the cleaning...3 times a week for example?

Thank you so much for your assistance, i definitely don't want to loose or come up high with my very first customer!, any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-08-2016, 07:58 AM

Hello, I'm actually working with a friend on the website for his cleaning service in Nashville, TN.

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but you could use this formula as a flat sort of "blanket" starter quote, it was the starting formula for his in house and small-mid size office cleanings -

Charging 35/hr flat

(square footage) * .15 = Total 'per-square-foot' charge
--------------------
total 'per-square-footage' charge / 35 = Estimated Hours (rounded up or down depending)
--------------------
(Estimated rounded hours * 35) + Total 'per-square-foot' charge = Total estimate

So for 1200 Square Feet the total estimate would be - 355

1200 * .15 = 180 (per-square-foot charge)
180 / 35 = 5.142 (the estimated hours - rounded to 5 for next equation)
(5 * 35) + 180 = 355

I don't really know if this is practical as far as work involved but you could charge for frequency this way:

You could charge $1000 for day 1 of the week, then add another $800 each additional day.

Or $1000 for day one of the week, then +$800 for day 2, +$600 for day 3... and so on.
post #3 of Old 10-08-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much for your assistance, i definitely don't want to loose or come up high with my very first customer!, any help would be much appreciated.
I'm sorry, I got a bit carried away on this... I just wrote up a small hypothetical on how I would go about doing things with my first customer. Although this isn't the main focus of your post, I like providing different insight and hopefully it could end up being helpful to you.

If I were you, I would first try to find out what their current cleaning service is charging and directly compete with that, this IS my first customer after all. I would then promise the same service that they are getting from their current cleaning provider in addition to the requested additional services, at a very competitive price. I would then insist on a discounted rate for the first month of service or the first stripping and waxing as //a sign of good faith and understanding for how serious the cleanliness of a daycare really is//- or just as my very first customer, special discount. This will help develop a long term relationship with the daycare.

I would be understanding to the fact that my very first customer is in a rough spot here, they actually care about the cleanliness of their facility and the health of the children there but their current cleaning service provider is effectively ruining their image by not satisfying the cleanliness standard of the facility promised to their customers, I want to help them help me later - When I need to upgrade my cleaning supplies and products to keep up with competition, if money isn't permitting, I will need to raise the cost of services and I want this customer to be understanding of that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode