Late Introduction - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-23-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Location: White Lake, MI (hometown: Bronx, NYC...adopted hometown: Bradenton/Sarasota, FL)
Late Introduction

Hello, my name is Luna and I've been a member of this site for a little while now, but never formally posted an introduction. I'm based in the Metro Detroit area and am in the middle of phasing out my independent cleaning operation (A Clean Dream Home & Lifestyle Services...gained the top 5 star Yelp.com listing in my county for a house cleaning service). I'm set to now focus on digital / internet marketing support and consulting for small and micro-service businesses.

I got into cleaning sometime in 2012 after a long spell of unemployment due to a surprise layoff, having a new baby to contend with, and with some basic experience under my belt working as a commercial cleaning tech for a couple of other companies. Prior to that, I'd worked mainly in desk (accounts receivable/admin), front-end sales, & customer service-oriented positions. When I started I was pretty (okay, VERY) broke, but with some 'green-er cleaning' supplies (baking soda, vinegar, dish soap, dollar store buckets & the like), a $10 vacuum off of Craigslist, a free website I built, some cheap Vistaprint cards, & some Craigslist ads, I was off and running! I was so glad when I started making enough to take my cleaning cloths to the laundromat instead of washing them by hand & hanging them out to dry in the sun (no kidding).

I learned a lot along the way and love to clean and transform living spaces (for others, not so good at it for myself personally ), but at the beginning of 2014 the work had started to get a bit physically demanding, plus I'd been inundated with cleaning requests I simply could not fill with it being just me. So I had to make a decision: expand and grow the business with employees or explore my 2nd love of 'guerrilla/DIY marketing'. I went with the latter since I received great results and response with how I built my little operation from the ground up, plus I've had success helping a couple of other businesses in this manner (I handled the marketing for an ex with starting a successful lawn service and provide support in kind for a local carpet/commercial cleaner/painter). My new decision allows me have a flexible schedule, do most of my work from home, & not feel like I got run over by a truck the next day when I wake up after doing a job. I also get to be with my preschooler more, which is most important.

Anyway, I'm always happy to help super-new cleaners avoid some of the hard knocks and road blocks they may face along the way and I love to continue to learn new things from the more experienced pros. I get totally 'geeked out' on all-that-is-cleaning so I don't think I can't ever fully extricate myself from the industry. Yes, I do believe I'm here to stay.

Feel free to check out some examples of my more extreme cleaning transformations on my album here: http://www.cleaningtalk.com/members/...before-afters/

Last edited by lunamartinmi; 03-23-2014 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 AM

Good luck with your new endeavors! I'm just starting up a commercial/residential cleaning business and hoping it goes well! Any tips you have for a newcomer like me would be greatly appreciated. :-)
post #3 of Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Location: White Lake, MI (hometown: Bronx, NYC...adopted hometown: Bradenton/Sarasota, FL)
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeC View Post
Good luck with your new endeavors! I'm just starting up a commercial/residential cleaning business and hoping it goes well! Any tips you have for a newcomer like me would be greatly appreciated. :-)
Hi DeeC, congrats on your new adventure! Just a few quick questions for you: Are you up and running with active accounts and employees or is it just you for now? What are you currently doing to gain new business (website, advertising, etc)? Where are you looking to be in the next year/5 years with your business?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-28-2014, 12:33 PM

DeeC, My top suggestion would be networking, networking, networking. People on average know about 250 other people on a personal level. When speaking with someone at a networking event, always imagine your talking to the other 249 people that may need your business. Don't try and get the sale NOW but form a relationship with someone.

www.a1cleaningtechnologies.com

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill
post #5 of Old 06-19-2014, 01:11 AM

Welcome lunamartinmi
post #6 of Old 07-06-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamartinmi View Post
A Clean Dream Home & Lifestyle Services...gained the top 5 star Yelp.com listing in my county for a house cleaning service
that's pretty darn great, is that still getting you any business?
post #7 of Old 07-08-2014, 03:09 PM

Hi Luna! Congrats on your success! By the way... How are things going so far?
post #8 of Old 06-16-2015, 07:17 AM

Hii Luna,welcome to the site.
post #9 of Old 06-17-2015, 06:01 AM

Welocme Luna.
post #10 of Old 06-18-2015, 12:04 AM

Greetings from Chicago! Welcome Luna.
post #11 of Old 07-18-2015, 04:22 AM

Welcome here.
post #12 of Old 07-30-2015, 01:18 AM

Hello Luna ! Welcome to the Cleaning talk.
Hope you will enjoy your stay here.
post #13 of Old 08-25-2015, 06:36 AM

Hello Luna.
post #14 of Old 09-02-2015, 02:45 AM

Hello,I'm a newbie as well. Just joined.
Looking forward to some idea exchanging.

Tags
advertising , marketing , new business , new cleaner , start up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode