Be my shark tank. .. - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 12-07-2015, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Be my shark tank. ..

Hi, I'm Heather and I have an idea. I'd like you to act like my Shark Tank (without the $, of course, lol) and give me your honest feedback and criticism. Thank you!

My vision is to offer a program that helps residential cleaning entrepreneurs start and manage a successful business. The program would offer administrative support, discounted supplies, training and other services to reduce costs and improve chance of success. The program can also be used to network with other business owners.

My company would support entrepreneurs from start to infinity, DBA: Infinite Legacy.

Infinite Legacy's target clients are people who want to earn a living by owning and running their own cleaning businesses.
They can use all available resources and support following start up such as training, sales leads and customer service to focus on building their businesses.

New clients would go through a program with stages, or stations:
1. Get help with legal: help registering business and/or fictitious name with state/county/township, getting tax id# or Employer ID#, getting bonded/insured, getting tax help. Help with starting a business plan, etc.
2. Get supplies: start-up packet with essential supplies, help with costs of supplies by buying in bulk and providing discounts and organizing equipment sharing.
3. Get customers: offer leads to buy or connect with distribution services. Help with marketing strategies/reducing costs.
4. Get trained: how to clean professionally, how to manage your business; additional training in variety of topics.
5. Get busy: focus on service to customers; handling of customer complaints while in program.

I would try to find the most cost effective ways to reach my goals and provide for the needs of my clients.

Infinite Legacy would get paid by charging for start-up program and by selling leads, supplies, training and other services. This is still in idea stage so the specifics are still a little foggy.

I imagine a brick and mortar office with meeting rooms and classrooms. Possibly a hub for owners with upbeat environment and source for networking; coffee and music and free wifi. It would be energy filled to motivate positive attitudes.

Ok, sharks. ..
What are your questions, comments, concerns?
What do you think my clients would need at start-up?
Is this live support something that entrepreneurs would utilize?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 12-07-2015, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Part of my vision is to grow by connecting other related start-ups such as distribution services, web designers, administrative service providers, etc. to help support the community, as well as individual business owners.

Another part of the program would be to help the entrepreneur with getting an online presence.
post #3 of Old 12-07-2015, 09:01 AM

Everyone probably knows who I would be of the bunch

MONEY.... you didn't mention anything about money! What's it cost for someone to sign up? Is it a 1-time fee or how would you have it structured? Without any information about money.... you are dead to me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 12-07-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Mr Oleary, I presume, Lol!...I don't have a solid plan for money, but so far. ..

The price of the program would be about $400. Then, upon completion of the program, the client would have the option to purchase additional services/supplies as needed ala cart.

The costs associsted with offering the program is estimated at about $250-300 per client give or take.

Clients could purchase supplies directly from my on-site or online store.

Clients could also purchase leads and administrative services which would be sold at contracted rates.

I'm estimating profit of about $100-150 for each unique client through the program and additional profits recurring from sales. I am unsure of projected income due to lack of market research at this early stage of development.
post #5 of Old 12-07-2015, 08:54 PM

Ya see, I have most of that stuff on a website already. The site isn't LIVE but it's there. My personal problem with it is the hassle factor. Especially at first. You MIGHT be able to build it up in time but finding someone that wants to go in to the cleaning business with $40 is rare, let alone $400.... think about it. I'm not saying everyone that wants to clean is broke but 98% of them are. So you just cut yourself down to 2%. Personally I think I have a good avenue to get people that would be interested but... it's a hassle. By the time I built that business up, I could make $1 million in mowing.

I can fiddle with broke people for years and MIGHT make a little money or for me personally I can send out 8 guys to mow 5 days a week, minimum 32 weeks a year (most of the time more weeks) and make $102,000 a year minimum after expenses. And I never break a sweat.

So that is why I personally haven't finished the site and made it LIVE.

As for you, give it a try.... make it your play toy. If it grows in to something then you did good. If it never does what you wanted it to do... you had fun. And personally, I always like to atleast make a MINIMUM of triple my money. So for me the cost would have to be atleast $900.

By the way, does that $250-$300 cover YOUR TIME and give you a pay check, software if any, cost of site host, cost of SEO if any, cost of acquiring a customer and any other cost you might have?

Last edited by sprintcar93; 12-07-2015 at 10:27 PM.
post #6 of Old 12-09-2015, 02:41 PM

Not the answer you was looking for?
post #7 of Old 12-16-2015, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

On the contrary, Sir. That was exactly the answer I was looking for. It's called validation, or in this case, my idea is not validated. Now I just need to change my idea a little and make it better. Thanks for saving me $$ and hassle.
My idea sucked. Business owners think about money. Logically.

What I didn't explain to you was my vision. Creating jobs helps the economy in the local community and surrounding areas. Starting businesses creates jobs and secures jobs. Supporting the persons who can start businesses is a huge part of my vision and my mission.

Starting a cleaning business is pretty cheap when it comes to start up costs. $40 would probably do it with borrowed supplies, a lot of elbow grease and a getting out and talking to a lot of potential customers. The $400 I mentioned included $200 worth of supplies and covered my expenses for support and training. This could be minimized.

Back to the drawing board...
post #8 of Old 12-16-2015, 12:54 PM

So part of the question you need to ask yourself is this. Are you in the financial position to help others? Do you have the time to volunteer and make jobs in your community? If so, this might be something good for you to do.

Personally, I have the time and money to make it happen, but I have a lot of experience with people, ie cleaners, and I know how they are. There is a reason that out of every 100 that go in to business each year, 98% of them go out of business within 6 months. Out of the 2% that is left, 99% of them go out of business within 5 years. This doesn't include all those that get 1 or 2 houses to clean and then call it quits after a few weeks.

So while there is always a new group coming in, my personal goal isn't to talk someone in to paying... for example $400... knowing they probably had to beg, borrow and steal to get that much... and within 6 months most will never have used what I teach them.

As for your $200 worth of supplies, again, my personal goal was to make it so people could make money without spending a lot of money. 5+ years worth of window cleaner + dispense system to get started is $25 (for them to refill is about $12 for another 5+ years). Shower cleaner $3 for 1 year supply (renew is about $2). Toilet cleaning supplies for 1 year $12 (renew is about $3). 100 Magic Erasers $7. Broom which doubles as a flat mop by changing heads $25. Vacuum $50. My caddy is $25 but plastic caddies can be bought for $2. Towels $20. A real cob webber that can reach 20+ft tall ceilings $30 depending on the pole a person would want to buy.

All of those prices except window cleaner are for 1 years worth and it might last longer than that. I said 5 years on the window cleaner but it is more likely to last a small company 10 years. A regular person could buy it once when they turn age 18 and be set for life.

If you're wanting to help people, that's the kinds of things you need to do. But with my experience of cleaners.... it's pretty much a waste of time to give them good help unless you just get bored and come here.

So what other kind of idea(s) do you have for me to rip apart?

Is that your goal, to make jobs in your community?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode