New to site - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 02-02-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

New to site

I am new to the site and saw some good questions and answers so I decided to join and maybe I can help others and vice versa. I own a maintenance company in MD, and service MD, DC and VA areas. Looking forward to chatting with others.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-03-2009, 12:30 AM

post #3 of Old 02-03-2009, 12:54 AM

Welcome. I'm from the Northern Virginia area myself. It just got a bit to expensive though so I moved.

Anyways, glad you found the site.

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much! It is a bit pricey around here. I grew up in Maryland.
post #5 of Old 02-04-2009, 01:02 PM

For those who are from Maryland, DC and VA, I would like to know how's the cleaning business going for you? I'm very interested in starting my own commericial cleaning business. Are there a lot of rules and regulations I should know before I start going after contracts? Are there certain business's I shouldn't go after? Can you recommend an insurance and bond company? Should I apply for a DBE and 8A? Being a newly company, what type of contract should I start trying to obtain with first? My staff will be myself and a friend. Is foreclosure-cleaning big in our area and if so, would you suggest I try to hit that market also? I would love to hear back from you guys about my questions. I do have many more to ask also.
post #6 of Old 02-15-2009, 09:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to TailoredMaid
Cubed,

I know you posted in another thread and it got derailed a bit. Hopefully I can help with some of your questions or at least point you in the right direction. I started my business in Virginia and used to live in the DC area. If you read my posts you will find I am not actively running my business but I stay involved in the industry as much as I can. Life took a different turn for me and I plan to return at a later date...I hope my advice is encouraging.

First you have to decide how to structure your business. Do you want to be a sole-proprietorship? Partnership? LLC? Corporation? There are pros and cons to each basic setup so I encourage you to consult a business attorney or accountant for a free consultation on the benefits of each structure. In my case I was set up as a corporation.

Check with your locality if you are required to submit your DBA (doing business as...) for your company name. I had an office space in an adjoining city and I was licensed in that city. I also had a DBA registered in the city of my residence. Each city has their own rules. Just call City Hall and ask.

I encourage you to read as many books on running a business as you can. While not every bit of advice is "one size fits all", you'll glean info that you can apply to your own situation. I highly recommend the "E-Myth" series of books. We've talked about them on this forum so you can get some feedback if you search for "E-Myth" on the boards.

Don't let people tell you that you have to have gobs of money to start. While it is not advised to start without the basics like insurance and proper supplies, you can invest as you go. Some have done it on a shoestring and others have spent significant sums of money at their startup. Do what works for you with the outcome always in mind. Set goals and stick with them.

Marketing is an essential part of your business. There are tons of ideas on how to market. The economy is constantly changing and so will your marketing techniques. I'd start with a website and business cards at a minimum. That will NOT be sufficient in the long run so always stay on top of channels in which to market.

You asked about the different types of cleaning services that you should consider...what hours do you want to work? What experience (if any) do you have in the jan-san business? What are you good at naturally? Are you a people person and outgoing?

There are some types of businesses that come with natural pitfalls. For instance, many business owners shy away from cleaning daycare centers. Others stay strictly with residential cleaning. Others won't touch residential with a ten-foot pole. The trend nowadays is focusing on foreclosure cleaning. The problem with that is you may be in an area that is saturated with foreclosure cleaning businesses but lacks in residential businesses. Find out what your local needs may be. Ask bankers if they have any problems finding foreclosure cleaning services. Ask your local doctor's office if they are happy with their cleaning services. Ask your neighbors and friends if they use a maid service and what they think of it.

Do you plan to expand and hire employees down the road? How solid is your friendship with your friend to be able to overcome differences in a business relationship? I highly recommend getting into the business with the mindset that you'll grow and need employees later.

That will give you a bit to chew on. I know there's a lot of information to read and digest. Just take it a little at a time and keep asking questions!

Again, welcome.

Torrey Shannon
Executive Director/Spokesperson
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #7 of Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 PM

Fantastic advice Torrey!

Reading, research, marketing ideas...all are key to starting up. Gobs of money are not needed. Great if you have a bunch of dollars to get going, but it can be done on a shoestring.

License, liability insurance...must be done...but the insurance can be paid in installments and not all at once.

The best to you and listen to Torrey. She is the best!

suzi g
post #8 of Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to TailoredMaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzikg View Post
Fantastic advice Torrey!

Reading, research, marketing ideas...all are key to starting up. Gobs of money are not needed. Great if you have a bunch of dollars to get going, but it can be done on a shoestring.

License, liability insurance...must be done...but the insurance can be paid in installments and not all at once.

The best to you and listen to Torrey. She is the best!

suzi g
Not bad for someone who now divides her time between Hollywood and Capital Hill, right? LOL Honestly, I just love to help. I may not always be right, but I try to give my best effort to help. I am glad that you are here to do the same.

Torrey Shannon
Executive Director/Spokesperson
Cleaning for Heroes
The only 501c3 nonprofit in the cleaning industry that improves the lives of heroes, one household at a time!
post #9 of Old 06-08-2009, 05:47 PM

New To Site & Foreclosure Cleaning

If you’d like to learn how to clean out foreclosed homes for mortgage companies and banks I offer training & motivation.

I have been in the business for over 10 years and am more than qualified to teach you the ropes necessary to start a successful business.

I don't want you to make the mistakes I did along the way.

Let me know if I can help.

Lisa,

Last edited by LisaCameron3746; 06-08-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: forgot phone number

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode