Newbie to this forum and the janitorial trade. - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 01-18-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Newbie to this forum and the janitorial trade.

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and thought it might be a good idea to tell you some of my problems and also to ask for your expert advice, opinions and anything you might like to share. I have been a janitor for about six weeks now and what started out as part time went to full time because they fired a guy and then for two weeks I worked by myself and then they hired a guy who is experienced but had truly bad personal/family problems which put me through the ringer as he didn't show up to work one day and left early two days in a row and all inside of one week of his being hired. Well I thought he was to be fired until we heard of his problems so now hopefully everything will work out for him, for me and the job in general. This place only wants one janitor to clean the store on a daily basis. I talked my boss into letting the other guy work with me two half days a week so that we could get more done. When I first got hired I loved the job as the store was closed for half of the shift and the next four hours the public wasn't much of a problem as they would only trickle in. It is a major department store and very large and my boss said it only takes one guy to clean and maintain the whole place. Maybe so but I can honestly tell you that I can in no way shape or form keep up the place in any sort of quality manner. The guy before me worked there quite awhile and started losing momentum in the quality of the work as the store management said they didn't want us on the floor after they opened. He then began to leave work early and not complete the required tasks. I work for a company contracted to this store so I told my boss that I could not stop working on the floor and so I kept on until about 6 1/2 hours into the shift where I would proceed upstairs to do the upstairs employee breakroom, restrooms and offices. In order to try to keep up the main shopping area I would sacrifice doing the upstairs and only give it a 30 minute spiffying job just so I could stay on the main floor longer. Now the floor scrubber is on the fritz and I put in a work order nearly three weeks ago and since there are so many chiefs in the system the machine isn't getting fixed...no matter how much we try to correct the problem. So...when I get to my job, after I clean the main floor restrooms and continue onto the main floor, I just simply sweep and mop by hand. I get the first two main aisles where the registers are then, pharmacy and then electronics and also try to keep up the front as much as possible. Usually then I turn to the floor scrubber which only will run for four hours so this worked well as I could keep cleaning the floor after we were open. Now the scrubber is down, there is also what seems to be miles of carpet to vacuum and I only did this on a rotating basis. I can not keep up! Finally a few good hearted employees started vacuuming for me which relieved me quite a bit. There's so much else on the list I finally figured that I may as well quit. The people at the department store really like the work as I try to be very thorough but the task seems too daunting. The floor looks like garbage because the previous guy waxed over endless scuff marks and messes. The wax has been nearly worn off and I don't feel I have the time to strip and wax. Being a novice I have never stripped and waxed and now some people are telling me not to even try it. They hired this new guy and he thinks the job is also too daunting but he is willing to tackle it. In my opinilon they should have three daily janitors to do the entire store and two floor scrubbers while one vacuums. I am getting exhausted as I will be fifty years old in a few months. My feet hurt, my ankles hurt and now my hips seem to be stiffening up. And if you could help me on this, is there a way other than new wax any secret to keep the floors looking shiny? Is there something a person can add to the mop water (economically speaking) so when the floor dries it appears to be shiny? I realize a well maintained wax finish should be the answer followed by buffing but I suppose I may just be overcome by not enough time to complete it. May I have your advice and opinions please? I really am not lazy as I go go go and sweat but am overwhelmed. I like the work but maybe I should quit, what do you think? Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 PM

Welcome to cleaning talk "tired of it all". All I can say after reading your post is - "WOW sounds like it is time to sit down with management and explain to them what you are having to deal with" Maybe once that conversation is done they will make sure that you have the resources available to you to make your job easier. In the meanwhile, hang in there and yes! If things do not get any better I would suggest that you look for work elsewhere.
post #3 of Old 01-19-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks T. Peterson
I appreciate your advice. Looks like I'm going to be looking for work. I thought about it but think I need to find more responsible people to work for. Thanks again and you will probably be hearing from me again sometime. Take care!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode