Newbie Here - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 02-25-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Newbie Here

Hi everyone,
I started visiting here maybe a month ago. I have been cleaning houses for almost 3 years now. I am an RN of many years, but here in Florida, nurses are paid poorly and treated even worse. After I had a major accident (not on the job-) I recovered and decided to put another talent to work: cleaning. My first year was rocky, because I didnt know what I was doing yet. But I kept on going. I happen to really like cats, so began mentioning this in my public advertising (on Thumbtack and Care.com). Soon, I began getting calls for cleaning by cat owners! Cat owners know that some house cleaners are grossed out by cat throw up, kitty litter, hair, etc. They knew I wouldnt be so they hired me. I also do some pet sitting, and almost all of my "cat clients" started having me cat sit when they went away! I get paid the same amount for both jobs, so itr has worked out well for me.
I love my work, and really like my clients. Over time, I have learned that if I dont especially like a new client, it probably wont work out in the long run. I have learned to trust my instincts on this, and have found polite ways to back out of a job if I feel that way about someone new.
I think I have become successful because I am sort of a perfectionist. And I am a very hard worked. The two things combine well in cleaning, and my customers appreciate what I do.
Glad to have found this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-14-2017, 12:34 AM

Advertise pets in your marketing materials!
post #3 of Old 03-14-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Oh, I DO! I use Care.com, Thumbtack, and word of mouth to get new customers. I also post my business cards in places where it is allowed, and have magnetic car signs. Since I do not have (or want-) employees, I simply try to fill my schedule as full as possible. Any suggestions on other sites to find work would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-15-2017, 09:31 PM

me too, i love my works so much, thank for share
post #5 of Old 03-16-2017, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Where on this site can I just chat with others, share my good AND bad experiences? Most of the threads seem to be so business oriented, not personal.
Thanks!
Annie
post #6 of Old 03-17-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missannienow View Post
Where on this site can I just chat with others, share my good AND bad experiences? Most of the threads seem to be so business oriented, not personal.
Thanks!
Annie
Look for the off topic page or general discussions page from the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum link at the top of the page or follow this link.

Last edited by Carpet Cleaner65; 03-25-2017 at 02:35 PM.
post #7 of Old 03-24-2017, 07:46 AM

Hi friends,
I am Richard, a newbie to this forum. Glad to meet you all.
post #8 of Old 03-24-2017, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Hi Richard!
Im Annie, and new here, too. I am in Florida. Where are you?
Annie
post #9 of Old 03-25-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardcarrol View Post
Hi friends,
I am Richard, a newbie to this forum. Glad to meet you all.
Hello Richard, Good to see you on the Cleaning Talk Forum.
You will find a vast amount of cleaning knowledge here.
post #10 of Old 04-12-2017, 06:01 AM

Hello TO everyone
post #11 of Old 04-12-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

How is everyone doing? Here in Florida, our seasonal residents and leaving to go back up North. This isnt good for the cleaning business, but it is something we live with. I had one client who called me TWO days before leaving to cancel my cleaning services. This annoyed me a lot. She had told me they would leave in May! But - after I thought about it, I decided it would be a good thing because I never especially liked this lady. Despite my explaining what my services would be, she always tacked on something time consuming, like unloading the dishwasher, or making up several beds. Do - goodbye to her and I will fill her slot with someone else.
Annie
post #12 of Old 05-30-2017, 01:45 PM

I also love my work, whatever I do.
post #13 of Old 05-30-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Yes. There is something satisfying about working hard. I know for me, it keeps me younger than my 67 years! I have always loved to work hard and to b e good at what I do. I worked as a nurse (RN) for many years. Then I got ill and could not work at all. When I finally recovered, I decided to do something totally different, and started my cleaning business. I think, if there comes a day when I dont feel I CAN work, it will be time to truly retire. Having a physically challenging job has helped me SO much!

I always get a kick out of leaving a house, freshly cleaned, smelling better and knowing that I did this. My customers are very appreciative. I do not have employees - it is just me, my Swiffer mop and Shark vacuums and safe cleaning fluids. I especially like when the customer is elderly, or sick, and are often embarrassed by the condition there home has gotten into. I was in those shoes once, and I hired someone to clean my own home. The lady was rude, snooty and made me feel about 2 inches tall - she made it plain that my house was much dirtier than she wanted to clean. And she did a lousy job of it. At the time, I had had major leg surgery and was only walking using a walker. I could NOT clean, for heavens sake! When I started this business, I vowed to never, ever, treat a customer like this, no matter how grubby their house is. And that is just what I have done.
Annie
post #14 of Old 05-30-2017, 08:03 PM

Hi Annie, glad you are here! Thanks for your thoughts and insight about your cleaning business. I can relate to the good feeling you get knowing you left someone's house better than it was when you arrived. I am an aspiring hospital janitor--I have a final interview tomorrow, fingers crossed--and I know I will enjoy making everyone's hospital stay a little brighter.

Like you, I came from a professional career that required a degree. I was a teacher. I hope to keep teaching as a side job, but the janitorial work will be my main focus from now on. It is so much simpler than teaching, and I will have a lot less stress. As long as I work hard and stay positive, I will be happy in my new career. I was a housekeeper in a psych hospital years ago, and I really enjoyed it. I might have stayed if the pay and chances for advancement weren't so bleak. I loved the work, but didn't like the company.

Have a great day Annie, and everyone else who's here. I will be letting you know how my interview goes. Hopefully I will be starting at the hospital soon.
post #15 of Old 05-31-2017, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Hii Stevie!
Just curious - why did you leave teaching?? I left nursing for two reasons. One, I was very ill for some years and ended up needing major surgery. I COULDNT work. I could hardly even walk! It took me a long time to recover and no one thought I really would recover - but I did. I didnt like being an RN here in Florida. I was making less than half of what I made up North. Florida is a "right to work" state - which means the employer has all the protections. The worker does not. This creates a hostile political work environment. I found that in ALL the facilities I worked in, the good nurses were fired or quit, and the awful ones hung on. I am a very good nurse and lost several jobs. It was demoralizing to see all the good nurses leave and the bad ones stay. So - when I recovered, I decided to put another talent to use. Cleaning. And I like my work a lot. I am not young anymore, and having a physical job is good for me. I see so many other people my age who kind of just give up, give in to the aches and pains all older people have. Well, sitting is the worst thing youo can for all of that! I have arthritis in probably every joint, yet the discomfort isnt that bad - simply because I keep moving. I learned the hard way that as you age, you just have to keep moving.
Annie
post #16 of Old 06-01-2017, 08:42 AM

Hi Annie, I left teaching because I was also ill, with psychological issues. There is a lot of stress associated with teaching, and I was not handling it well. I was starting to miss tasks and realized I was not as effective as I needed to be in reaching students. So I gave about three weeks notice and resigned. Luckily I had the freelance work I am doing now, so I have been able to support my family. I will keep freelancing a few hours a week even after I get a full time job.

I also just took a part time job teaching at a small private school. It starts in August. This way I can still teach and work with kids, but I won't have the stress of all the extra admin work that burned me out. There are only about 20 students at the school, and there are two other teachers; at my last public school, I taught a minimum of 300 students each semester, just in my own classes.

The new school is only open for a half day, too, so it leaves my afternoons and evenings open for second shift janitorial. I like your comments about moving around. I'm only 40, and I don't have arthritis or anything like that, but I already have trouble walking long distances. I am about fifty pounds overweight and have high blood pressure. I gained the weight while I was teaching--it was an online school, so I sat down most of the time, and I didn't pay attention to what I was eating. I know that being a janitor will keep me active all the time, and I am excited for that.
post #17 of Old 06-01-2017, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Hi Steve,
I appreciate your honesty. I can relate to much of what you said. I used to be very overweight. Very! In 2003 I had a gastric bypass and it was almost TOO successful. Now, believe it or not, I have trouble keeping weight ON! I am underweight right now, and I am having trouble gaining back the weight. Weird but true. Having the surgery was a good thing. But I also pay by having the usual sequelae of that kind of surgery: osteoporosis, kidney stones, etc. I am not sorry I did it, because if I hadnt I would probably be dead now. I just kept gaining weight, all through the years working as an RN. Bigger and bigger until I could hardly move or breathe. Enough, I said, and got the surgery.

You are still young, in the medical world. 40 is considered young nowadays. I am 67, and even THAT isnt considered "old." But I do get "Senior Citizen" benefits. LOL !I dont feel 67 or act it or look it, I think. I honestly believe that what is keeping me young is my work, because it IS so physical. Lugging around vacuum cleaners, bags of supplies, mopping grubby floors, - all of it helps keep my joints moving. My hands are very arthritic - especially my left hand (I am a leftie). But it doesnt stop me. I wont let it. When I was slowly recovering from my major illlness/surgery, I started cleaning my own home, because I looked around and saw how grubby it had gotten. This was not easy because I was still using a walker, for crying out loud! But I tried, and kept trying. I made a lot of silly mistakes, but that is how you learn. Cleaning was my personal form of therapy....and it still is!

I am glad you have found another way to earn money. Teaching has to be VERY stressful, much like Nursing is. Tons of pressure, poor pay, and not enough respect. I dont think I could be a teacher, so its wonderful that you can be. But sometimes, we all have to back away from something we love doing, if it is hurting us. Nurses, teacher and cops - all similar positions in that respect. Good for you for beinig able to admit, and see, what your job was doing to you. Time to take a break from it, and you have. Cleaning also has its stresses, but if you run your own business, you can control that stress much better.
Annie
post #18 of Old 06-14-2017, 09:14 PM

Welcome

Welcome
post #19 of Old 06-15-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Thank you!

I enjoy my work. If I ever felt I wasnt enjoying it, I'd find something else to do. Life is too short to work at something you dont care for. This is one of the reasons I left Nursing. That and the fact that Florida treats nurses (and cops and teachers-) very poorly. If I had stayed up North, I would still be a nurse. But I had to move here to help my parents.
Annie
post #20 of Old 06-23-2017, 01:40 PM

One thing I would advertise is the type of rugs you clean. I have been looking all over my area for someone to clean my weird rug and noticed most companies don't list what they do and don't do. Just an idea

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode