How to Clean and Care for Outdoor Furniture - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 12-23-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned

How to Clean and Care for Outdoor Furniture

Keeping patio furniture looking like new for a long period of time is not difficult. Proper cleaning and maintenance will extend the life of your furniture. Here are some tips to caring for your outdoor patio furniture:

* Wash it with a good cleaner at the beginning of the season and then once a week squirt it off with a hose. Both dirt and chlorine will deteriorate patio furniture.

* When cleaning vinyl patio furniture, never use a harsh brush or bleach. The brush may create pores in the vinyl, damaging it and causing it to lose its shape. Plus, the bleach will deteriorate the vinyl.

* Check to make sure that none of the bolts holding the furniture together are rusty. Replace them if they are, and tighten them thoroughly.

* If the paint on aluminum furniture is in poor condition, rub it gently with a piece of fine steel wool or sandpaper to smooth it out. Next, take some standard car-wash polish to buff the furniture back to its original luster.

* Touch up wrought-iron furniture immediately if bare metal is exposed to prevent rusting. A rust-resistant primer on the spots will help the rust from spreading under the paint.

* Wicker furniture will stay looking its best if it is kept in the shade, as the sun tends to dry it out. If the wicker finish is damaged, bring it back to life by using a permanent marking pen that matches the color to blend away the exposed areas. To give a piece a whole new look, spray paint each piece with outdoor spray paint.

* Don't forget to clean your glass patio table. Remove the glass top carefully, over the grass (so it doesn't shatter if you drop it).

* Put furniture away for the winter by covering it with plastic, and storing in a dry basement or garage. If it must be kept outside, cover it with a tarp.

So when you're ready for the first cleaning of the year, you need something gentle and strong to bring your outdoor investments back to looking like new.

CLR Outdoor Furniture Cleaner safely and effectively cleans furniture, umbrellas, cushions, children's play equipment, awnings, barbecue grills -- all made to withstand the elements, but still need a little help. Outdoor Furniture Cleaner contains UV protectants to protect furniture from fading and discoloration. This special formula is non-abrasive and safe to use on resin, plastic rattan, wicker, wood wrought iron, vinyl, PVC and canvas. It is biodegradable and will not harm flowers and grass.
home cleaning | vinegar cleaning | gift | Food | Relationship | Girl friend | Boy friend | Pregnancy | Vegetables | Clean | Milk | Exercises

Last edited by cutegirl; 01-25-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 02-17-2011, 09:38 AM

pressure wash

pressure wash would be the best for outdoor furniture

http://bbcleaningservice.com/Office_..._Services.html
post #3 of Old 05-31-2011, 02:26 AM

Hi,

In winter period, wooden outdoor furniture should be enclosed and stored in a sheltered area to cleaning the outdoor is simple; use a solution of dishwashing liquid and water, which is well rinsed off. Always make sure that made of wood furniture is entirely dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrita View Post
Hi,

In winter period, wooden outdoor furniture should be enclosed and stored in a sheltered area to cleaning the outdoor is simple; use a solution of dishwashing liquid and water, which is well rinsed off. Always make sure that made of wood furniture is entirely dry.

So a solution made from water and dish-washing liquid works well on wooden furniture?

post #5 of Old 06-01-2011, 12:30 AM

How to Clean and Care for Outdoor Furniture

yes it will give good result..
post #6 of Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 AM

I will give it a try then thanks

post #7 of Old 11-14-2011, 04:10 PM

I have outdoor furniture that I have a hard time cleaning. I get a white powdery substance on the cushions? Thanks for the tips.
post #8 of Old 11-22-2011, 03:26 AM

I think pressure wash is best for cleaning the outdoor furniture and if it is wooden, then you should use hardener in the polish.
post #9 of Old 02-16-2012, 04:28 AM

Cutegirl was banned due to high level spam! Today, I was happy to know that. Because, I was searching discussion on Google for patio furniture and found this discussion!

It's all about cleaning to patio furniture and guide to make it happen. This is just like article. Where is question...

If we want to share article or tutorial to anybody so we have to use other channel rather than discussion board....

I'm coming here to know cleaning method about different fabric and going to start one discussion.

I would like to say thank to moderator!
post #10 of Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 PM

Hm, this is interesting. I got rid of my outdoor furniture do to the hassle of keeping it clean.
post #11 of Old 03-14-2012, 04:35 AM

Furniture are a great way to keep your house look gorgeous.An awesome furniture with little paintings reflects good contract over the visitors and relatives coming in home.This is really helpful to take nice ideas to make your home more beautiful.
post #12 of Old 03-17-2012, 10:21 AM

One of the best and effective way to clean and clear your outdoor furniture is wash and brush it on regular basis. Use nylon cloth or a blower to clean off the surface. If stain is there, use mild soap and water mixture to scrub off any stains.
post #13 of Old 03-21-2012, 04:44 PM

Here in Hawaii, it seems as if everyone has outdoor wicker furniture on their lanai (patio) and the pervading tropical conditions tend to wreak havoc on it. For preventative maintenance, use a vacuum cleaner with a dust brush attachment, or that long-skinny attachment, to get the dust out of all those nooks and crannies. To remove grime, wash with a solution of two tablespoons ammonia per gallon of water and use a paintbrush or a toothbrush to get at hard-to-reach places. Rinse well and air dry in the shade. Aloha from Hawaii!
post #14 of Old 05-08-2012, 08:07 AM

When not in use, protect your furnishings with plastic or cloth covers to prevent them from being directly revealed to natural light, rainfall or dust. Plastic cover is better to keep your piece of furnitures from obtaining soaked in the rainfall. You also need to clean these covers time to time.
post #15 of Old 05-17-2012, 12:21 AM

The most easiest and great options to wash your home's furniture are water and detergent. Use mild drinking water and detergent to fresh your fixtures at least once a week. The air around the fixtures settles in layers on the fixtures leading to deposition of various dust and other particles. If they are not removed from time to time, then it will result in a chemical reaction which may even rot your fixtures.
post #16 of Old 05-28-2012, 02:53 AM

I agreed that proper cleaning and maintenance will extend the life of furniture. However a few week ago for the chandelier cleaning I have taken the expertise advice for cleaning process. A good cleaner or product help a lot with cleaning process under the guidance of professional advice.
post #17 of Old 06-20-2012, 05:59 AM

I think we should use green cleaning products that can be effectively cleaning outdoor furniture the right way. After using green cleaning products use soft cotton cloth to clean up furniture.
post #18 of Old 06-29-2012, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchdaniel View Post
The most easiest and great options to wash your home's furniture are water and detergent. Use mild drinking water and detergent to fresh your fixtures at least once a week. The air around the fixtures settles in layers on the fixtures leading to deposition of various dust and other particles. If they are not removed from time to time, then it will result in a chemical reaction which may even rot your fixtures.
I am totally agree with you. Using those equipments you can easily be cleaning your outdoor and indoor home furniture in a very effective way. Green cleaning products are also best option for cleaning furniture products.
post #19 of Old 08-25-2012, 08:13 AM

Outdoor furniture needs more attention compared to indoor furnitures. To clear such kind of furnitures, it is best to hire professional cleaning services. They have enough experience and you can protect your valuable furnitures too.

get the advantages of best house cleaning company
post #20 of Old 08-28-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albansparrow View Post
I am totally agree with you. Using those equipments you can easily be cleaning your outdoor and indoor home furniture in a very effective way. Green cleaning products are also best option for cleaning furniture products.
Thanks for supporting my tips over here and another thing you need to be considered is polishing your furniture. Now days, verities of paints are available in the market, and you just need to select your preferred color and then polish your furniture in an effective way because it can help you to prevent your wooden items from any rust.

Tags
cleaning , home cleaning , vinegar cleaning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode