||03-10-2010 09:22 PM
How to Install Barbed Wire Fencing
As mentioned above, installing a barbed wire fencing is very easy, as compared to other types of fencing. In order to erect a simple barbed wire fencing, you need some fence posts, post hole diggers, barbed wire of your choice and fixing devices, like staples. It does not require any expertise, as any unskilled person can do this task. The following guidelines can help in understanding about the basics of barbed wire fencing installation.
- As you plan to erect barbed wire fencing, the first thing you have to do is, measure the area to be fenced and purchase the required barbed wire and other supplies.
- Once you are ready with the materials, mark the points (usually a distance of 50 feet is maintained between two posts), where you need the fence posts. You can either go for metal T-posts or use wooden posts, as per your needs.
- Now, dig holes in the points marked for posts with a post hole digger. Usually holes made for this purpose are three feet deep. Now, fix the posts and fill the holes using soil and crushed stones (for extra stability).
- The next step is to attach the barbed wire to the posts. Start from the lowest side of the first post. Normally, a distance of one foot from the ground is maintained, for fixing the lowest wire.
- Secure the barbed wire to the fence post using fence clips, which has to be tightened with pliers. In case of wooden posts, you can hammer fence clips to the post.
- Now, as the first point is safely secured, pull the wire tightly to the next one. Attach it to that post too. Repeat the process till the last post is secured and you are done with the lowest strand of your barbed wire fencing.
- Continue the process, so that you finish the desired number of strands for your fence. A minimum of four strands are needed for a standard barbed wire fencing. Read more on decorative wire fencing.
Now, you know more about barbed wire fencing and how to install one. However, the most important thing to be remembered is personal safety. You have to wear protective gear, like gloves to avoid any injury from the sharp ends of barbed wire. The cost of barbed wire fencing depends on the type of the barbed wire you purchase, fence design
and the area to be covered. The above said is one of the basic methods of installing barbed wire fencing. You can make the necessary modifications, as per your requirement.