Ladder Safety - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of Old 07-06-2006, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,087
Ladder Safety

I still remember the first time I was on the top of a 40 foot ladder that was leaned over a cement stair case that dropped down another 10 feet and then hit the trigger on a pressure washer. Not a feeling I enjoyed at all.

What are some things you guys do to stay safe on ladders?

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
Nathan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of Old 07-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Senior Member
 
russ s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Prattville, Alabama
Posts: 740
Send a message via MSN to russ s Send a message via Yahoo to russ s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I still remember the first time I was on the top of a 40 foot ladder that was leaned over a cement stair case that dropped down another 10 feet and then hit the trigger on a pressure washer. Not a feeling I enjoyed at all.

What are some things you guys do to stay safe on ladders?
OMG!!!! WHERE DID THE PRESSUREIZED WATER GO
russ s is offline  
post #3 of Old 07-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Moderator
 
All Seasons Exteriors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 353
We rarely use them unless it's for roof access. X-Jets and extension wands will usually take care of it. If not, possibly a lift, depending on the job.

All Seasons Exteriors, Inc. Professional Roof Cleaning
Orlando, FL (407) 579-4026 or Toll Free (877) 837-9705
All Seasons Exteriors is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of Old 07-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
FCPWLLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 326
Ladders? We don't need no Ladders!

http://www.firstchoicepowerwashing.c...tterclean.html



Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
FCPWLLC is offline  
post #5 of Old 07-06-2006, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,087
yea, well us painters are too stupid and figure if we can paint on top of a ladder then we can pressure wash too.

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
Nathan is offline  
post #6 of Old 07-06-2006, 11:14 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I still remember the first time I was on the top of a 40 foot ladder that was leaned over a cement stair case that dropped down another 10 feet and then hit the trigger on a pressure washer. Not a feeling I enjoyed at all.

What are some things you guys do to stay safe on ladders?
Well, for starters, I don't pull the trigger on a pressure gun when I'm on a ladder!!! Not a good mix!

With the right tools and chems, a ladder isn't really necessary for washing a house or building. If it's too high for an Xjet or shooter tip, then it's time for a lift! There's no WAY I'm going to risk falling 4 stories for a housewash!!!
Mike Williamson is offline  
post #7 of Old 07-06-2006, 11:15 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCPWLLC View Post
Ladders? We don't need no Ladders!

http://www.firstchoicepowerwashing.c...tterclean.html


What kind of extension wand is that in the picture?
Mike Williamson is offline  
post #8 of Old 07-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Senior Member
 
FCPWLLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 326
Just a 24 ft extendable wand. Actually don't use them much anymore. Mostly downstream with a 0030 tip and shoot chem/rinse.

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
FCPWLLC is offline  
post #9 of Old 07-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Senior Member
 
russ s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Prattville, Alabama
Posts: 740
Send a message via MSN to russ s Send a message via Yahoo to russ s
Welive And Learn ...i Wish I Had All The Money Wasted On Useless Stuff I Purchased Through The Years .......i Would Be Rich
russ s is offline  
post #10 of Old 07-07-2006, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,087
What are the longest extentions you guys use?

I need some real education and it's one of the reasons I started this site. We painters often do this work but we need to learn to do it better... not that I'm painting anymore but you get the idea.

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
Nathan is offline  
post #11 of Old 07-07-2006, 07:35 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
What are the longest extentions you guys use?

I need some real education and it's one of the reasons I started this site. We painters often do this work but we need to learn to do it better... not that I'm painting anymore but you get the idea.
24' is the largest I've used. The one I have, the Coress, I believe can go up to 60', though I wouldn't want to be the fool trying to use THAT thing...
Mike Williamson is offline  
post #12 of Old 07-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
russ s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Prattville, Alabama
Posts: 740
Send a message via MSN to russ s Send a message via Yahoo to russ s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williamson View Post
24' is the largest I've used. The one I have, the Coress, I believe can go up to 60', though I wouldn't want to be the fool trying to use THAT thing...
MIKE THATS ME TOO ,I HAVE A 24 ON MTY TRUCK I HARDLY EVER USE BUT IT STILL SCARY TO EXTEND THERE IS NOOOOOO WAY I WOULD GET ON A 40
russ s is offline  
post #13 of Old 07-08-2006, 09:15 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ s View Post
MIKE THATS ME TOO ,I HAVE A 24 ON MTY TRUCK I HARDLY EVER USE BUT IT STILL SCARY TO EXTEND THERE IS NOOOOOO WAY I WOULD GET ON A 40
I have a 24' Coress, and like you said, it rarely gets used. HOWEVER, when it IS needed, thank God for it!! I bought it for one specific job and it has come in handy a couple times since.
Mike Williamson is offline  
post #14 of Old 07-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Senior Member
 
russ s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Prattville, Alabama
Posts: 740
Send a message via MSN to russ s Send a message via Yahoo to russ s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williamson View Post
I have a 24' Coress, and like you said, it rarely gets used. HOWEVER, when it IS needed, thank God for it!! I bought it for one specific job and it has come in handy a couple times since.
same here i have about 225.00 in mine its a class 3 fiberglass werner...at least thats what i think i paid for it
russ s is offline  
post #15 of Old 07-08-2006, 03:47 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ s View Post
same here i have about 225.00 in mine its a class 3 fiberglass werner...at least thats what i think i paid for it
I'm pretty sure I paid a good bit more for this, but Coress isn't cheap.
Mike Williamson is offline  
post #16 of Old 07-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Senior Member
 
russ s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Prattville, Alabama
Posts: 740
Send a message via MSN to russ s Send a message via Yahoo to russ s
oh i know but who really cares ,we never use em anyway or not too much but i do like the good stuff when i can see the need .i rarely use the ladder and this one does fine but i would trade you if you twisted my arm
russ s is offline  
post #17 of Old 07-12-2006, 03:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 122
I have used my 5 gallon 3,000 PSI Delco on a ladder several times, no problem. Now if you want scary, I was on the 65 foot arial, fully extended and opened up the 2 1/2 inch hose. Good thing my leg was locked in! I did have the presence of mind not to immediatly shut the nozzle, just slowly closed the nozzle. When the ladder stopped rocking, I eased the nozzle open and sprayed water on the fire below.

Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc
Douglas Hicks is offline  
post #18 of Old 07-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Senior Member
 
russ s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Prattville, Alabama
Posts: 740
Send a message via MSN to russ s Send a message via Yahoo to russ s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Hicks View Post
I have used my 5 gallon 3,000 PSI Delco on a ladder several times, no problem. Now if you want scary, I was on the 65 foot arial, fully extended and opened up the 2 1/2 inch hose. Good thing my leg was locked in! I did have the presence of mind not to immediatly shut the nozzle, just slowly closed the nozzle. When the ladder stopped rocking, I eased the nozzle open and sprayed water on the fire below.

Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc
nope that is just tooooooo much for me
russ s is offline  
post #19 of Old 07-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Thad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williamson View Post
I'm pretty sure I paid a good bit more for this, but Coress isn't cheap.
You're talking about a Coress wand, right?
Russ is talking about a fiberglass ladder.

Now I see why you guys don't like cleaning windows.

|--|
|-----|
|-----|
|-----|
|-----|
|-----|
|-----|
|-----|
|-----|
Thad is offline  
post #20 of Old 07-12-2006, 09:21 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 77
Found these guys working in my neighborhood. No safety lines. Pitch is steeper in real life. Blasting Clorox all over this chimmney. Guy on the peak used the pressure hose wrapped around the chimmney to get back to the ladder after everything was wet. Insanity. About 50 feet up.

Keth is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safety Freebee! Come and Get It copgib Safety 8 10-04-2017 06:25 AM
Sodium Hypoclorite safety dcox007 Safety 5 05-09-2007 07:50 AM
Environmental Safety State Links Dave Ott Safety 0 07-08-2006 01:53 AM
New Safety Forum! Nathan Safety 11 07-07-2006 09:18 AM
Safety Forum? Dave Ott Site Help and Suggestions 4 07-05-2006 10:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome