safety issues- what to do after a fire? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of Old 07-09-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
safety issues- what to do after a fire?

I had a fire on my bed mattress, the firemen took the mattress out.

The room smells and I suppose there are toxic chemicals in there.

I could remove the carpet and manually clean stuff myself with a wet cloth, soot seems to come off. Would that be enough? Getting an air purifier. Would things still be safe?

Or, I could pay 700 to a restoration expert to do his thing for one day, including putting stuff in an oxidation room.
tapitiv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of Old 07-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 122
I used a ozone generator to remove the cigarette smell. I rented one from a carpet cleaner.
Douglas Hicks is offline  
post #3 of Old 07-10-2011, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3
wikipedia and other sites say or suggest not..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_g...ty_regulations

this site
http://www.air-zone.com/isozonesafe.html
says leave the room at the time.

and it has a short half life so dissipates quickly but I suppose depends how much you used / how long.. I wouldn't know how long to vacate the room or house after. (it might slip under the door who knows)

and you can smell if it's there 'cos bleachy smell..

and could damage some materials..

and helps to have a monitor too.

It sounds like something to be left to experts rather than a first-timer.
tapitiv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of Old 07-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 40
Half of my apartment fired 4 years ago. Fortunately i was not there at that moment but my parents were. They are ok now, so i suppose there is nothing that toxic.

Cleaning Is What i DO!
David Stainberg is offline  
post #5 of Old 07-30-2011, 02:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 66
You might want to check out these guys (Winsol)
They have an insane web site, don't answer emails, and are arrogant to talk to.
But they are still in business so maybe the product is good.
MikeFromHC is offline  
post #6 of Old 08-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 88
Response

You have to wear a mask at all time when you enter the area. The gas can be toxic but the burned material can be hazardous as well.

www.bbcleaningservice.com/blog

www.bbcleaningservice.com
hardy_cleaner:) is offline  
post #7 of Old 08-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: London
Posts: 192
i think the place just needs to be cleaned, disinfected and renovated by professionals

lisaheader is offline  
post #8 of Old 02-09-2016, 01:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 104
Yes, its safe now.
briana26 is offline  
post #9 of Old 09-29-2016, 06:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 76
To dos after a fire

All the household wiring should be checked by a licensed electrician, inspect for structural damage, all food items, medicines exposed to fire should be discarded. There are odor eliminating products which can help you remove odor. Call in a smoke and fire contractor who would help you with rebuilding. At the arliest get a fire alarm system or say fire watch security who might help you in this regard. There are mnay such services like the optimum security services , a vancouver secuirty company. Launder items using hot water, regular amount of detergent and 1 cup of white vinegar and baking soda. Try. best wishes
EdwardECharette is offline  
post #10 of Old 10-14-2016, 12:01 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3
Thank you for sharing wonderful ideas
Prefuld is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fire Risk Assessments fireriskassessments General Discussion 1 08-02-2019 02:51 AM
Leader in Water and Fire Damage Restoration Technology sunny1234 New Member Introductions 4 10-24-2012 02:50 PM
Fire Inspectors Dave Ott Kitchen Exhaust Cleaning 32 10-07-2012 10:04 AM
Cleaning Industry Health and Safety Acknowledgments Total Clean General Discussion 5 10-28-2010 07:20 AM
Sodium Hypoclorite safety dcox007 Safety 5 05-09-2007 08:50 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome