Washing your car with a pressure washer? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 05-21-2011, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Washing your car with a pressure washer?

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to and not to do when washing your car with a pressure washer? And also anyone have a clue on what is a good PSI to wash your car with?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Ballett; 05-23-2011 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 05-23-2011, 02:32 AM

Hi, just make sure you use a car washing nozzle, otherwise you'll be stripping the poor thing bare! And spray from a distance, not fewer than 18 inches. Don’t just use a hose. Enough pressure will spray your paint off AND also don’t use the brushes as they will scratch your paint.
You may use 2400-3000 psi pressure washer and I’m sure it will work fine. I found excellent reviews about the best pressure washers selected on their characteristics at http://www.best-pressure-washer-revi...teristics.html , hope this will help you.

post #3 of Old 07-20-2011, 04:48 PM

What about matt paint. Can i clean it this way?

Cleaning Is What i DO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-28-2011, 06:07 AM

I hate brushes. Really hand washing is the best. My car goes to wash several times a week- about 3 or 4 times. But now I am in huge dilemma as I saw that there are several scratches. I guess they are from the brushes and I am mad. Now please tell me what to do. I will never again go to the same car wash...

Best Regards,
Cheryl Parker
post #5 of Old 07-29-2011, 04:47 PM

Pressure Washing

Don't use a 0į tip for pressure washing cars. Use a fan tip that spreads the pressure out over a wider area. Like mentioned above, you can control the pressure of the water on the surface by changing the distance. The closer you get, the higher the pressure and greater chance for damaging your vehicle! You may want to consider reading your manual for suggestions and safety precautions. Here's an article with some basics for avoiding injuries: Common Pressure Washing Injuries and How to Avoid Them.
post #6 of Old 07-30-2011, 10:49 PM

Nice website, good info. Landa pw? Nice reels, one of mine lasted about 9 years, the other is going on 13 years. We do exhaust cleaning, not flat work.

Are you aquanted with Scott Stone? Or Lou of Hoods N More? How about Ron?
post #7 of Old 08-01-2011, 12:17 AM

Thank you, ACME! Even tough I am not that familiar with the carwash technologies I will certainly look more before giving my car for a wash next time!

Best Regards,
Cheryl Parker
post #8 of Old 08-01-2011, 08:24 AM

thanks for sharing, pretty nice website. I'll definitely be more careful next time I give my car to a carwash

post #9 of Old 01-10-2012, 12:20 PM

Good tips be ACME..
I think rest of members now know the tactics of car wash along with cleaning.
post #10 of Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 AM

I agree on using the fan tip. As long as the psi of the water is spread out over an area, it won't damage the paint on the car. If you concentrate the psi with a 0 degree tip, it could start taking paint off!! Also be careful if your car has pin striping or other emblems. The pressure from the pressure washer can take these things right off.
post #11 of Old 02-12-2012, 01:02 PM

I think a 0 degree tip would be DISASTER, I haven't actually done it yet, but I keep looking at my pressure washer and my 45 degree nozzle but I am afraid that if there is any loose paint that will be the end of it.
post #12 of Old 03-17-2012, 05:55 AM

\Most of the time people east their car with the pressure washer, which make your cleaning easy and the pressure washer clean the dirt properly. Be careful while using pressure washer.
post #13 of Old 05-09-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballett View Post
Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to and not to do when washing your car with a pressure washer? And also anyone have a clue on what is a good PSI to wash your car with?

Thanks in advance!

Bosch Aquatek 100 plus high pressure washer and Black & decker 130 bar pressure car washer will be the a best option to washing your car. According to me 1600 PSI will be good to wash your car.
post #14 of Old 05-26-2012, 02:05 PM

Cleansing your car at house using a power machine is fun and easy. Stress machines have a highly effective apply and they strike the dust right off the car. It is difficult not to think about yourself as "Rambo" while shooting the dust away. If you do not have a power machine yet, we suggest the Ex-Cell Stress Washer, which is available at the Home Warehouse.
post #15 of Old 05-27-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubertredles View Post
Cleansing your car at house using a power machine is fun and easy. Stress machines have a highly effective apply and they strike the dust right off the car. It is difficult not to think about yourself as "Rambo" while shooting the dust away. If you do not have a power machine yet, we suggest the Ex-Cell Stress Washer, which is available at the Home Warehouse.
Hi grubetredles this is rubyluise and I appreciate your instruction regarding washing the car. But, I don't have nay idea about the EX-CELL stress washer? Can you please tell me briefly discussion about it? Thanks
post #16 of Old 09-11-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubertredles View Post
I'm totally agree with you.You'r 100% good here that stress machines have a highly effective apply and they strike the dust right off the car.
post #17 of Old 09-12-2012, 04:14 AM

Some Suggestions-
Use water more with not very high pressure for avoiding scratches.
Use good car washing soap or else it effect your car color.
Normally use cold water for washing.

I think 1000PSI is good for Car Washing
post #18 of Old 09-14-2012, 04:37 AM
Registered

Washing your car with a pressure washer?

1 Get a pressure washer that is rated at a minimum of 2200 PSI @ 4.0 GPM minimum, unless brushing. Anytime that a pressure washer with pressures or flows that are less then the recommended minimums are used, brush the vehicle, then rinse.

2 If the vehicle is extremely dirty, power wash the heavy dirt off before applying the detergent.
3When the vehicle is hot, cool down the surface with cold clear water prior to applying the detergent. When the vehicle is cold the use of warm water increases the efficiency of the detergent.

Thanks

vancouver pressure washing
post #19 of Old 01-10-2013, 10:46 PM

Only a few things need to be kept in mind while pressure washing like closing the windows properly so that water does not enter inside spoiling the seats. Don’t spray water on windows which may distort the shape or even break it because of high pressure. While washing every single visible space must be checked as it would have more dust than the rest of the visible portion of the car.
post #20 of Old 07-08-2014, 05:48 AM

It is good for car cleaning, but when you are using it use a low pressure nozzle it will good for rinsing and save on water. Be aware of any paint defects such as stone chips and or deep scratches.

Try avoiding washing into gaps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode