8 GPM with a 50 gal. float tank? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-04-2006, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

8 GPM with a 50 gal. float tank?

I found a unit from http://waterresearchusa.com/index.html for sale with dual 13 horse 4GPM Honda units. What struck me as weird is that the float tank is only 50 gallons and it comes with a 50 foot hose.

This seems like a weird setup to me. Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-04-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad View Post
I found a unit from http://waterresearchusa.com/index.html for sale with dual 13 horse 4GPM Honda units. What struck me as weird is that the float tank is only 50 gallons and it comes with a 50 foot hose.

This seems like a weird setup to me. Am I missing something?
Tank seems small. It might be possible to get away with it if it's being used for something other than flatwork, but staying on the trigger for long periods of time seems like it would definitely cause a problem.

All Seasons Exteriors, Inc. Professional Roof Cleaning
Orlando, FL (407) 579-4026 or Toll Free (877) 837-9705
post #3 of Old 07-04-2006, 07:27 PM

Its just a float tank (Buffer) to help keep up with water flow. Most houses don't put out much in the way of GPM. Even worse if they are on well water or during days when everyone is watering their lawn at one time. Most contractors will install a bigger tank on board. Usually around 300 Gallons and up. The 50' hose is standard from where I have seen machines sold, and again most will upgrade to a better hose anyways. Non-Marking hose and so on depending on the work they do.

If that machine is 20 gallons per minute just do the math if a house puts out only 5 GPM and even less on well pumps or everyone watering their lawn on the day you want to clean.

Michigan Exhaust Cleaning
Your First Step in Restaurant Duct Fire Prevention
Dave Ott 800-861-6475
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-04-2006, 07:35 PM

I've got a 35 gal float tank on one of the trailers that's used with a 5.6 gpm skid. It will keep up with that kind of gpm easily, but 8 gpm is slightly higher than what most houses will deliver. As Dave stated, that kind of gpm definitely warrants a dedicated water tank and not just a float tank.

All Seasons Exteriors, Inc. Professional Roof Cleaning
Orlando, FL (407) 579-4026 or Toll Free (877) 837-9705
post #5 of Old 07-04-2006, 07:44 PM

I did some apartment buildings last week, that where on city water. I have a 4gpm unit and a 35 gallon buffer tank. I was washing these buildings, so I wasn't on the trigger non-stop. Every hour or so I would run the tank dry and have to take a break or do something else. The water pressure was like pissing in the wind, unreal.

Barry Maddox
Midwest Pro Wash
post #6 of Old 07-04-2006, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Here's what it looks like:
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6108/8gpm7uu.jpg

For $3500 the price seems OK, but I think that there are too many wells around here for something like that to be workable.

I'm not seriously in the market, I just thought this would benefit from a larger tank and wondered if I was missing something.

8 gpm sounds nice, though....
post #7 of Old 07-04-2006, 07:47 PM

We have this happen many times even at commercial accounts.

Dave Ott 800-861-6475
post #8 of Old 07-05-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:

For $3500 the price seems OK, but I think that there are too many wells around here for something like that to be workable.

I'm not seriously in the market, I just thought this would benefit from a larger tank and wondered if I was missing something.

Oh, it IS, it IS!!!!

It IS a pain when the supply doesn't keep up and you have to wait for the tank to fill a ways. Good time to make phone calls and hope the neighbors don't think you're a lazy butt for sitting in your truck for 20 minutes.
post #9 of Old 07-05-2006, 12:56 AM

Now that I see it. What a horrible setup. Why two engines and pumps? Just get one machine and make it ahot one that puts out 8 GPM or more. I hate the fact if one engine goes your down to 4 GPM.

Dave Ott 800-861-6475
post #10 of Old 07-05-2006, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williamson View Post
Oh, it IS, it IS!!!!

It IS a pain when the supply doesn't keep up and you have to wait for the tank to fill a ways. Good time to make phone calls and hope the neighbors don't think you're a lazy butt for sitting in your truck for 20 minutes.
So your productivity goes to pot and you might as well have stayed with a 4 or 5 gpm and not had to wait for water, right?

Just sayin'....
post #11 of Old 07-05-2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:
So your productivity goes to pot and you might as well have stayed with a 4 or 5 gpm and not had to wait for water, right?

Just sayin'....
Sometimes, but that doesn't happen all that often. I went with 8gpm primarily for commercial flatwork, where I usually have enough flow to keep up with the machine. Though I HAVE had to run two hoses to two different spigots! It definitely speeds things up, and man does that thing have some range with the right tip when I'm doing houses.
post #12 of Old 07-06-2006, 02:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to russ s Send a message via Yahoo to russ s
Quote:

i like a bigger trailer ,its easier to move around ,less tounge weight and more room for extras
post #13 of Old 07-06-2006, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ s View Post
i like a bigger trailer ,its easier to move around ,less tounge weight and more room for extras
For me, 7x14 enclosed is as large as I want to go. The open trailer is 6.5x16, but is easier to maneuver since I can see behind it much easier.
post #14 of Old 07-06-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williamson View Post
For me, 7x14 enclosed is as large as I want to go. The open trailer is 6.5x16, but is easier to maneuver since I can see behind it much easier.

i personally like the open trailer but i can see some but as many advantages with the open one
post #15 of Old 07-08-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry M View Post
I did some apartment buildings last week, that where on city water. I have a 4gpm unit and a 35 gallon buffer tank. I was washing these buildings, so I wasn't on the trigger non-stop. Every hour or so I would run the tank dry and have to take a break or do something else. The water pressure was like pissing in the wind, unreal.
I am just getting in to pressure washing have been in carpet cleaning for 20 years. I am now in a small market and I am needing to branch out
I bid on one of my apartments. Was wondering what kinds of chemicals you were using for mold/mildew. They have mostly vinyl with stoco fronts.
post #16 of Old 07-08-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFresh View Post
I am just getting in to pressure washing have been in carpet cleaning for 20 years. I am now in a small market and I am needing to branch out
I bid on one of my apartments. Was wondering what kinds of chemicals you were using for mold/mildew. They have mostly vinyl with stoco fronts.
not much better than good ole 12.5%sodium hypoclorite with tsp and soap ...downstreamed at 20% and applied with a 0025 or an 0030tip....apply then let stand for 10 to 15 min and rinse....tah dah
post #17 of Old 07-08-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ s View Post
not much better than good ole 12.5%sodium hypoclorite with tsp and soap ...downstreamed at 20% and applied with a 0025 or an 0030tip....apply then let stand for 10 to 15 min and rinse....tah dah
Be CAREFUL with tsp in your housewash...for paint prep it's fine, but you can wind up damaging siding and/or paint if it's too strong or dwells too long. I hate using stuff that can seriously damage the customer's property, if I don't have to.
post #18 of Old 07-09-2006, 09:01 AM

your right mike it will also reek havoc on windows
post #19 of Old 07-10-2006, 09:15 PM

I could see this machine working well for a couple of reasons. One is that you downstream your hypo with one machine running and use the two machines for the super fast rinse after dwell time is over.

A 35 gallon tank does seem small and probably should have two inlets for two hoses. With two hoses running into it you should be okay unless you are on the trigger all day. Hauling that much extra 3/4" hose might be a pain though.

The price seems fair but I would want a trailer that could hold a surface cleaner and all that hose. I don't even seen holders for chems. Humping them into the back of a pickup gets real old.

Anyone else have ideas how this rig could be improved? The base system seems like a good idea as BIG GPM is a big timesaver but it looks like half a trailer to me.
post #20 of Old 07-10-2006, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keth View Post

A 35 gallon tank does seem small and probably should have two inlets for two hoses. With two hoses running into it you should be okay unless you are on the trigger all day. Hauling that much extra 3/4" hose might be a pain though.

I gave up using 3/4" supply hose a year ago. I don't miss it. 5/8 is more than adequate, much much lighter, and way cheaper.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode