Need some help :) - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-23-2006, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Need some help :)

I am wondering if anyone could help me figure something out with a pressure cleaning job I did over the weekend. I do work for a pretty big company here in South Florida, anything from post construction cleaning to daily maintenance of commerical properties, I also do pressure cleaning. This passed weekend I did an apartment complex for them, pretty upscale also. I pressure cleaned the pool deck area, the entrance to residential services, and 65 entrances for each apartment and also the cement pots outside each doorway. I usually charge $50 a hour, but with all the extra detail, what would be the best way to price this job? I am not looking to over charge this company, just charge fairly for the time and detail we put into this job

Thanks to all who can give me some advice

Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 12-31-2006, 07:54 PM

Prices

Well,
If you're using low pressure, you will be using more $$$ for chemicals. If you're using chlorine, you'll spend appx $1/gal. Chems shot through an injector are pulled @ 5 to 1, @ 3gpm, so you'll be using appx ONE gallon per minute of CHEMICAL. Plus the labor to do the clean/rinse. $50 per hour is ok if it's one person I suppose.... I don't know how much "extra detail" can be involved, you should just be applying a chemical to everything and rinsing it all off at low pressure... If done right, there is NO "extra detail". If it's "more than" what a normal complex would involve, you can add that in. I do $85/hr for hourly rates (although prices are actually about $150/hr for normal labor) when I'm in the field. So if I know I'm using $5 in chems, 1 hour (let's say, oh, $1000000.00) labor, plus set up/ break down time, I know I should ATLEAST charge $10000010. Or however.
Sometimes it's ok to take a loss though, eating is important too! lol
post #3 of Old 01-01-2007, 07:39 AM

The problem with charging by the hour is, you have no set system of estimating. If you are using a cold water amateur setup like RB just described with no surface cleaner and no labor force you will be 400% slower than a company that is equipped for jobs like this. If, for example I were to charge $150 per hour and you $50, I would still come in under your price.

Your best bet is to take a square footage number and multiply by your factor. On that job, 8-10 cents per square is in the ballpark. Sandy, for what its worth, did you know that there is a federal law that requires you to capture your wastewater? ..this is whether you use chemicals or not. The fines range from $5000-$50,000 if you get caught.

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 01-02-2007, 04:43 PM

has anyone used a hotsy hot water pressure washer if so what do you think about it info please and is this a good deal this pressure washer has 16 hrs on it and its the trailor tank and pressure washer at 3700 psi and the guy wants 4000 for it

please help
post #5 of Old 01-02-2007, 06:05 PM

Gutter, much more important is the flow (gpm) of that machine. If it is a true 16 hours and the pump has not been frozen, and the trailer has the rignt number and size axles, its a great deal.

PressurePros, Inc
post #6 of Old 01-02-2007, 07:02 PM

the flow is 4.7 gpm the trailor is a 6x10 and single axle i saw pics of the machine and the guy is going to meet me tomorrow to look at it so hopefully its all he said its going to be, He told me that he bought it for his son and he worked it on one job and then told his dad that this isn't what he wanted to do so his dad is selling the machine for what he can get out of it.
post #7 of Old 01-02-2007, 10:54 PM

We have a Hydrotech 4.6 gpm / 4000 psi hot water on a 6X10 that we'll let go for less than $4K.....where are you?

Celeste
post #8 of Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 PM

I am in Thomasville NC on the other side of greensboro from you
if you read this tonight call me 336-476-3184
post #9 of Old 01-02-2007, 11:19 PM

You should come to the round table in Greensboro on February 10th! You can get details at : http://www.grassrootsevents.org/carolina_pro_wash.htm
post #10 of Old 01-03-2007, 03:25 PM

Square foot's the BEST way to go about it. With experience, it's EASY to price by the hour.
Cold water is an amateur setup? I guess in different parts of the country hot water may be needed. Here cold water does the trick. Hot water is extra wasted money...on the machine, on the extra propane or diesel, etc. and the gas to haul the thing around. Unless there's imbedded oil or something extreme, hot water isn't needed. But again, maybe that's experience talking...
post #11 of Old 01-03-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Brite View Post
Square foot's the BEST way to go about it. With experience, it's EASY to price by the hour.
Cold water is an amateur setup? I guess in different parts of the country hot water may be needed. Here cold water does the trick. Hot water is extra wasted money...on the machine, on the extra propane or diesel, etc. and the gas to haul the thing around. Unless there's imbedded oil or something extreme, hot water isn't needed. But again, maybe that's experience talking...

Hot water is not always needed, but in my opinion, it is very nice to have , just in case. I wouldn't own a cold water unit again after having the luxury of hot water. But that is my opinion.
post #12 of Old 01-03-2007, 10:54 PM

Cold water is not neccessarily amateur depending upon what you clean. A 3 gpm unit however is an amateur/homeowner unit. But maybe thats just my experience talking.

PressurePros, Inc
post #13 of Old 01-04-2007, 05:19 AM

i'll just say this all of us has been an amateur once in our lives and being called that offends you then the shoe must fit on something right i have used cold and with 3 gpm units i have used a 2100 psi 2 gpm machine but if i have to make a living on that type machine and put food on my kids table i will go back to it again (but i REALLY like this hot water unit i just bought) we all have times in our business that we look back and say to our selves " man how did I ever get thru that I must have been crazy!!!!" but my thought Hot is the way

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode