oil stains in driveway - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 12-25-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

oil stains in driveway

Is there really a way to get the stains out, im talking about set in oil stains.

Carpet cleaners Brandon Fl
Carpet Doctor
212 East Ross Ave.
Tampa fl 33602
(813)440-8335
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 12-27-2011, 10:34 AM

Oil stain removal

The best way we have found to get oil stains out of concrete and other driveway surfaces is to steam-clean and powerwash it with industrial pressure washers. Many of them are capable of generating steam and hot water at 300F and 3500 psi (or higher). Pre-treating heavily soiled areas with a degreaser or specially formulated oil remover will definitely help. Concrete generally soaks up oil like a sponge and steam helps open up the concrete pores to pull out the oil stains.

All concrete is different, so results tend to vary. I had 2 old oil stains in my garage and our machines were able to completely remove 1 and clean up the other one about 90%. After a few years it faded, got a little dirty and I can't see it anymore. Here's a couple of before/after examples of commercial driveway cleaning in Phoenix and you can see the results this method can have on oil stains.

post #3 of Old 12-27-2011, 06:03 PM

Doesn't seep through the pores in the concrete over time? Would that be why certain stains won't come out no matter what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 12-27-2011, 09:23 PM

Nothing gets oil that is set into the concrete out 100%. I have tried almost every junk product that said it could...

Katy Memorial Roof Cleaning & Power Washing
Roof Cleaning, Power Washing,
& Pressure Washing
Marcus Raif - (281) 392-2304
www.k-mpw.com and Facebook
post #5 of Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 AM

We using Bio Remediation products to remove oil stains from pavers and concrete in Houston Texas. The products actually eat all the hydro carbons, doesn't matter if it's oil, gas, hydro fluid, it get's rid of all of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg An Hydraulic Oil Stain Removal Houston Texas.jpg (39.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg After Hydraulic Oil Stain Removal Houston Texas.jpg (38.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Owne Baldwin 2.jpg (6.3 KB, 63 views)

Houston Texas most trusted source for pressure washing and roof cleaning services. Call or text 2818838470

Houston Texas Soft Wash Roof Cleaning and Pressure Washing School
post #6 of Old 01-02-2014, 01:13 AM

Are there any chemicals you can use that work if you don't have a hot water pressure washer ?
post #7 of Old 01-02-2014, 07:24 AM

Yes, Got to powerwashstore.com Product is called BT200

Houston Texas most trusted source for pressure washing and roof cleaning services. Call or text 2818838470

Houston Texas Soft Wash Roof Cleaning and Pressure Washing School
post #8 of Old 01-02-2014, 08:35 AM

Thanks!
post #9 of Old 03-14-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME Powerwash View Post
The best way we have found to get oil stains out of concrete and other driveway surfaces is to steam-clean and powerwash it with industrial pressure washers. Many of them are capable of generating steam and hot water at 300F and 3500 psi (or higher). Pre-treating heavily soiled areas with a degreaser or specially formulated oil remover will definitely help. Concrete generally soaks up oil like a sponge and steam helps open up the concrete pores to pull out the oil stains.

All concrete is different, so results tend to vary. I had 2 old oil stains in my garage and our machines were able to completely remove 1 and clean up the other one about 90%. After a few years it faded, got a little dirty and I can't see it anymore. Here's a couple of before/after examples of commercial driveway cleaning in Phoenix and you can see the results this method can have on oil stains.

I have been removing OIL from concrete for over 26 years. Filtering waste water from Parking Garages since 1992. No one has done it longer then I in the Parking Garage Cleaning Field of filtration.

You need 300 degrees. Most guys cannot reach 300. They are the ones who usually say it cannot be done. Oil removal is not for the newbie with a entry level machine. I am sorry to say that, but it's true. You need a bigger than average boiler. The bigger the boiler, the better the results could be.

One should see photos, video and look at the contractors equipment, specifically ask what BTU's is he running. We run 1.1 million BTU's. If someone says it cannot be done and he has a 260,ooo BTU boiler, then he is not lying. His system is not capable to hit 300 at 3,000 at a full flow of 5 to 8 GPM. Volume, Pressure and 300 degrees are the key. Not the ones who use a steam valve, thus by passing a 80% or more of their GPM's back to the tank unheated, thus using only 20% of their flow ( GPM). Thats like using a home depot washer on sale for $99.00 vs a 6 GPM commercial washer.

Professional Washing Network.Com ( PWN)
Parking Garage Cleaning Experts Since 1989.......Call me... 510-612-0437
http://www.GarageCleaning.Net
[email protected]
post #10 of Old 03-31-2014, 03:00 PM

Anytime you clean with chemicals be sure to wear protective gloves and work in well ventilated areas for your safety. When you see that this is quite a job ahead of you never let yourself worry too much as there is always professional carpet cleaning company that can assist you with this and they will be happy to remove the oil from your driveways too.
post #11 of Old 03-31-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryancell001 View Post
Anytime you clean with chemicals be sure to wear protective gloves and work in well ventilated areas for your safety. When you see that this is quite a job ahead of you never let yourself worry too much as there is always professional carpet cleaning company that can assist you with this and they will be happy to remove the oil from your driveways too.
How hot does a standard carpet cleaner go? What is the average BTU's in a carpet cleaner?

My brother has been cleaning carpets for 18 years. I think with the heat exchangers they reach about 150 degree's.

You must realize that oil breaks down at 250 degrees, synthetic is 300 degrees. So the standard carpet cleaner could not come close in hitting these temps at 6 GPM- 9 GPM. ( Gallons Per Minute)

On the same token, a 6 gpm pressure washer, one would be nuts to try to clean a carpet inside someones house because of the volume of water.

Below we are using a 3 ft radius 14 HP Honda that rotates the arms to a speed of over 3,000 RPM's. About 1200 rpm faster then self propelled. Except this one spins the arms backwards, thus cutting into the concrete, instead of the standard method of pushing off from the concrete. We find we actually get more downward pressure this way instead of loosing pressure that is used to spin the arms..

Detergent is just as important as heat and pressure. You then need to capture the waste water, filter out the heavy metals, and about 120 other items found in this soup of waste, then after meeting discharge requirements from your local POTW, then and only then are you able to discharge into the POTW system.

To date, there is not a carpet cleaning system that can possibly clean and oil stain as well as a pressure washer set up with a 1.1 million BTU Boiler on it.

[email protected]

Last edited by [email protected]; 07-03-2014 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Spacing/ changed BUT to BTU's
post #12 of Old 04-10-2014, 05:22 PM

good stuff Doug!

Mike Rego
908-705-2999
call or text
www.dunritepropertyservices.com
www.riversidepws.com
post #13 of Old 04-10-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunrite View Post
good stuff Doug!
Hey Mike and Doug, how was the meeting up in Wisconsin?

Rapid HotClean

Call or Text 503-709-3594
Best Roof Cleaning Portland OR
Pressure Washing Portland OR
post #14 of Old 04-11-2014, 01:39 AM

oh ,, there are lot can do that !!

Cheers
Eng / Mohamed Badawy
http://www.mymicrocleaning.com
post #15 of Old 07-03-2014, 10:21 AM

Really great informative thread!
post #16 of Old 07-03-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanerceo View Post
Really great informative thread!
If you want to learn more, you should attend the PWNA Conference held in Orlando Nov 1 thru the 3rd.

Multi Million Dollar Companies, guys who started with nothing in their pockets will be there as well.

We all can learn for guys who had nothing and worked their way up. One could use that information.

[email protected]
post #17 of Old 07-29-2014, 09:50 AM

Those pictures are great ... they really hit the spot!
post #18 of Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyLemon.com View Post
Those pictures are great ... they really hit the spot!

Thanks !

Are you thinking about attending the PWNA Convention ?

[email protected]
post #19 of Old 07-31-2014, 06:33 PM

key ingredient in removing oil stains is HEAT. For that you'll need a hot water pressure washer.
post #20 of Old 08-01-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwash View Post
key ingredient in removing oil stains is HEAT. For that you'll need a hot water pressure washer.
I sooo agree with this statement.

Oil will break down at 250 degrees and Synthetic is 300 degrees. This is why some oil is harder to remove than others.

Most pressure washers can hit these temps without using the bypass steam valve which redirects a major portion of your GPM so that less water is used, thus able to hit these temps.

I will be at the PWNA conference on Nov 1-3 if anyone would like to know how to do this without a steam valve.

[email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode