Prepare to be offended - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 10-07-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Prepare to be offended

This is an article written by Everett Abrams. For those that don't know him, Everett is a leader (He was president elect, not sure of his current title) with the PWNA. PWNA stands for Power Washers Of North America. This org is supposed to be the mouthpiece for pressure washing contractors.

I found this article to be highly offensive and assumptive. I am posting it on every available BBS. The PWNA is enshrouded in controversy and dubious activity. This article is yet another example of why their membership is dropping. Former advocates of the PWNA (myself incuded) have been coming out and asking questions of the current administration and questions are not answered either forthcomingly or, in my opinion, honestly.

You decide. http://ezinearticles.com/?id=281766

PressurePros, Inc
Pressure Washing Companies
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pressurewashing
Offering PA roof cleaning to Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square PA
and surrounding communities in Delaware County PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 10-07-2006, 07:27 PM

Everett seems like a paranoid bozo. Anyone with any time on the internet would not take one comment on a bulletin board as gospel and would instead take an average of user replies. Good bulletin boards like this one have users who have gained the respect of the community and are to be trusted. I think Everett needs to take a Zoloft and turn off his computer.
post #3 of Old 10-07-2006, 09:23 PM

Who is he talking about that rides around in a golf cart because he can't afford a car?

Wait, what am I talking about. I can't afford a car, either. I live under an overpass and drink sterno. I post on BBSs for free at the library.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 10-08-2006, 03:05 AM

Ok......... if I can I will step daintily here as I have no experience with the PWNA and it's politics.

Upon first glance of this e-zine article I would have to say that I would have to agree with the author. I have mentored on numberous boards and have seen the quality of posts that are offered by others who are supposedly knowledgable mentors only to walk away shaking my head at the information given. Upon investigation I have found that many of the people who are labled as mentors are actually fresh in the business and wet behind the ears. One such example is appearant on a board that I use to frequent where more than 1/2 of the "mentors" have been in business for just over 1 year, yet they are telling others what they should and should not be doing with the air of authority !!!

Unfortunately there are some people who do take the words of others as gospel. I say that everyone should approch the internet and it's meeting places such as the bulletin boards with a grain of salt and alot of discression.

My point is - just because someone likes to talk alot (or in this case, type) does not make them experts. (Heck, even after 20+ years I am still learning about new things every day!! ) However given due deligence alot of information can be gleaned from conversations with others

I like boards that have the members list their line of work and their length of time in the business, such as this board, it makes it easier to know who you are talking to.

Now, if you have issue with Mr Abrams for other reasons, please carry on.......................
post #5 of Old 10-08-2006, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

The topic is not the case in point. I agree with the topic. The contradictory nture of the whole thing and the way it was written is what is offensive.

PressurePros, Inc
post #6 of Old 10-08-2006, 07:32 AM

The topic itself is null and void. We all know that there are hacks on the boards. However, it seems that the "read between the lines" message that the article is trying to convey is that "Only Paid BBS's or Franchised or Paid Training is the only thing to be trusted".

Speaking of misinformation on the internet..... "Doing business with a PWNA member is a safer or wiser choice" Had a PWNA member here that hired illegals and a company that gave discounts to PWNA members while referring work to hacks just because they bought thier equipment from them. The referred biz owner is currently in jail for having 24 lbs of Pot. I guess you can afford a $12k rig selling pot. So, if you ask me, touting your members as better or more professional just because they paid 200 bucks, is another form of internet misinformation. Heck for $200/member you'd think that when you google "Pressure Washing", PWNA would be at the top.
Not even on the first page. But the originators of the PWNA are listed high and selling thier goods. Who benefited from the PWNA? Not the industry.

Enough from me.

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY

Last edited by FCPWLLC; 10-08-2006 at 07:33 AM. Reason: typo
post #7 of Old 10-08-2006, 12:45 PM

Ahhh Haaaaa - as I said I am not aware of the politics. Thanks for bearing with me and further educating me. I will re-read the article and see if the read is different now that I have another perspective
post #8 of Old 10-24-2006, 10:03 PM

Exclamation

Hey Ken,

Quote:
For example, I know of one vendor who has a line of product that he sells from a family home. He does not own a car and travels his town in a golf cart! He enter these sites to pedal his wares to unsuspecting people who take him at face value and believe he has a lab, warehouse, and business that is a multi-million dollar company. The truth is that he really lives on a shoestring and often needs to collect money up front to be able to manufacture the orders placed thus causing supply and distribution problems to the unsuspecting public. Without the internet this person would not even own a business however, with the internet you can create a new identity all the time. The problem is that the internet breeds this type of behavior and culture.
Do you know if Russ C. has seen this? I know that is who Everet is refering to. I used to sell Russ's products and have been through the lab and picked up my shipments at the warehouse.

But I have also seen his ugly golf cart that he drives because of a DWI . As far as his chems they speak for themselves.

How did you find that article? It is pretty low down and dirty I think.
post #9 of Old 10-25-2006, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Hey Jesse,

He has read it yes. I actually think its a riot. I agree with you, the products speak for themselves. What the man does on his personal time is his business. It shouldn't bother anyone unless they plan on buying the business or becoming a financier.

PressurePros, Inc

Last edited by PressurePros; 10-25-2006 at 04:35 PM.
post #10 of Old 10-25-2006, 09:51 AM

I just got off the phone with Russ and he informed me that he does not have a DWI...my mistake. He just likes his golf cart .
post #11 of Old 10-25-2006, 12:37 PM

I checked into the PWNA and posted a few times on their message, bulletin, or whatever they call it board. Amazed at how quick they got out the unrequested PWNA membership mailer.

My opinion of the experience was that of being led to their "approved products and methods". Anything else was viewed as stepping out of line.
post #12 of Old 10-25-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I just got off the phone with Russ and he informed me that he does not have a DWI...my mistake. He just likes his golf cart .
Certainly less expensive to drive than a car these days!

Celeste
post #13 of Old 10-27-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Certainly less expensive to drive than a car these days!

Celeste

You've got that right!
post #14 of Old 10-27-2006, 08:28 PM

What I find amusing and coincidental is that for all of EA's blowhard about BBS experts........he is the upcoming Pres of PWNA. PWNA awarded the majority of their educational contracts to Alliance Trade Services or something like that. Everett & Pete Marentay (SunBrite Supply) are owners of Alliance. Henry Bockman, also PWNA Board, owns (although he will deny it) a SunBrite store in Maryland and teaches courses for PWNA/Alliance. AND.....now that the PWNA BBS has turned into a private Technical Board Service, they're now all interlinked with some new Power-Washer-Advisor site that has a bbs, links to find a PWNA member and to SunBrite.

Hypocricy doesn't stop with Mr. Abrams' personal attack in that article. It goes to the ethics and behavior that are allowed by the BOD of the PWNA. Paul Horsley sent me an email telling me that the PWNA will not be damaged by "uniformed members". That is laughable - the privilege of damning the PWNA is reserved for PWNA BOD members!
post #15 of Old 10-27-2006, 08:50 PM

How does it go....."Fool me once, shame on you.....Fool me twice, shame on me?"

All Seasons Exteriors, Inc. Professional Roof Cleaning
Orlando, FL (407) 579-4026 or Toll Free (877) 837-9705
post #16 of Old 10-27-2006, 08:52 PM

I am even guilty of the shame on me......but no more. Things keep getting worse and the top of the ladder should be ashamed that it's happening on his watch!
post #17 of Old 10-27-2006, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

What comes around goes around. Sneaky is as sneaky does. I don't think anyone is fooled. I just got an outstanding email from a customer regarding Sunbrite's latest product Rip-Off or is Rip-It. Yeah Rip-It, thats it. Here is an excerpt.

--------------------------------------------------------
Ken:

Your suggestions on the gardenweb.com porches & decks forum have been very helpful over the past 18 months. I did about 2500 square feet of deck and rails by hand last year. This past month I did a redwood trellis structure using Restore-A-Deck cleaner and brightner. I've attached a few pictures for you. Feel free to use them as you need.

About the trellis project...

The structure is 15 years old and has had only been stained twice, to my knowledge. The last time was over five years ago and I think Penofin was used. The structure is redwood - approx. 80' linear x 10' tall. The site in my home in Folsom, CA (near Sacramento). The trellis is fully exposed to the sun (south facing), summer heat, and uv. The wood was actually in good condition, given its age and exposure. Not much 'red' left in the redwood, but very little damage due to weather - much better than the adjacent deck I worked on last year!

As you can see from the pictures, this structure is difficult to deal with. By hand, the labor time and cost to clean and stain would have been tremendous and almost worth replacing the whole trellis instead. Using your cleaner product and a local deck stainer, the trellis was washed with the Restore-A-Deck cleaner at full strength. Per your recommendation, we used a 40 degree+ tip and size 10+ orifice on the pressure washer. The cleaner was quite effective, though there was some residual Penofin left in some areas. I expected that it had all weathered out over the years. We re-washed the problem areas. We then applied the brightner and gave it rinse. The local deck stainer also tried the following cleaner in a small section:

http://sunbrite.stores.yahoo.net/ezoffenfrcl.html

He buys products from this site and had just received a new version of this cleaner to try. He gave it a C- in effectiveness and was much happier with the Restore-A-Deck cleaner.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You get what you pay for.

PressurePros, Inc
post #18 of Old 10-28-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
What I find amusing and coincidental is that for all of EA's blowhard about BBS experts........he is the upcoming Pres of PWNA. PWNA awarded the majority of their educational contracts to Alliance Trade Services or something like that. Everett & Pete Marentay (SunBrite Supply) are owners of Alliance. Henry Bockman, also PWNA Board, owns (although he will deny it) a SunBrite store in Maryland and teaches courses for PWNA/Alliance. AND.....now that the PWNA BBS has turned into a private Technical Board Service, they're now all interlinked with some new Power-Washer-Advisor site that has a bbs, links to find a PWNA member and to SunBrite.

Hypocricy doesn't stop with Mr. Abrams' personal attack in that article. It goes to the ethics and behavior that are allowed by the BOD of the PWNA. Paul Horsley sent me an email telling me that the PWNA will not be damaged by "uniformed members". That is laughable - the privilege of damning the PWNA is reserved for PWNA BOD members!
This is not directed at you Celeste.It does however apply to all who thought I went crazy by speaking out over the reasons the PWNA was never about the contractors,but about the BOD and using their psoition in the ORG to line their pockets with money.

I guess all I can say to this point is "I TOLD YOU SO."
post #19 of Old 10-28-2006, 04:05 PM

And I will admit in public - YES YOU WERE. To a degree I think we all knew it wasn't about the contractors but it is appalling to see how blatantly they've abuse the membership recently.
post #20 of Old 10-28-2006, 05:52 PM

There are several that are wearing egg now, that wouldn't be if they had thought for themselves and not allowed others to influence their decisions so heavily.

The writing has been on the wall for over 12 years now. It was never a viable organization, and won't be. They know that and that's why it's being looted.

The need to belong to something "Bigger" is a trap in this case.

All Seasons Exteriors, Inc. Professional Roof Cleaning
Orlando, FL (407) 579-4026 or Toll Free (877) 837-9705

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode