Pressure washing after EPA RRP takes effect - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 03-24-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Pressure washing after EPA RRP takes effect

New on this forum but let me preface this question:

We rehab homes and we hire pressure washing contractors to clean the exterior of homes and a ton of them are pre-1978 homes which will be subject to the EPA RRP rules and this is concerning me... question is:

While pressure washing the exterior how is the pressure washer going to recapture the water instead of the ground getting wet?

If soils come back with high lead contents then we would/could be held responsible so we have told the pressure washers we use that they must be a certifed renovators but for the life of me I don't know how they are going to recapture the sprayed water...
Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 03-30-2010, 11:39 AM

If they are simply cleaning, then there should be no lead removed. If it is a paint removal prep for repaint, then the method should not be pressure washing. Scrapers and sanders are best suited for this.

There should not be enough pressure when just doing a simple wash to disturb any lead content. If your folks have been "blasting" then, find new contractors that know how to wash with proper detergents and low pressure (<100psi)

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
post #3 of Old 03-30-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCPWLLC View Post
If they are simply cleaning, then there should be no lead removed. If it is a paint removal prep for repaint, then the method should not be pressure washing. Scrapers and sanders are best suited for this.

There should not be enough pressure when just doing a simple wash to disturb any lead content. If your folks have been "blasting" then, find new contractors that know how to wash with proper detergents and low pressure (<100psi)

That is how I think also but during all of our Lead RRP classes they keep stressing that you cannot clean a lead painted house or pre-1978 house without recapturing the water due to possible soil contamination. I don't know but I wish that we could find something in writing and I've been looking for something to either verify or debunk this possibility. Talked to a code compliance officer and they stated that anything with peeling paint had better not be power washed or there could be possible violations. I honestly don't know anymore but they (GOV) is making a hard to make a living!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 03-31-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremontreo View Post
That is how I think also but during all of our Lead RRP classes they keep stressing that you cannot clean a lead painted house or pre-1978 house without recapturing the water due to possible soil contamination. I don't know but I wish that we could find something in writing and I've been looking for something to either verify or debunk this possibility. Talked to a code compliance officer and they stated that anything with peeling paint had better not be power washed or there could be possible violations. I honestly don't know anymore but they (GOV) is making a hard to make a living!
Another example of how they don't understand how Professionals wash a house. They are basing it on how they have seen the painters and handymen do it. Our methods won't disturb the paint.

We deal with it on the Clean Water Act level not being allowed any offsite discharge to any body of water through storm drains.

Michael Kreisle, First Choice Power Washing LLC
Lexington, KY 859-983-5955
We own and operate a great Cleaning Service in Lexington KY as well as provide
awesome Pressure Washing and Roof Cleaning services.
You can follow us on Facebook here...Pressure Washing Lexington KY
post #5 of Old 08-09-2010, 09:35 AM

This article addresses concerns regarding cleaning wall exteriors in preparation of painting job. This also contains references to optimum pressure washing techniques. I belive this will be of some help.
post #6 of Old 08-13-2010, 01:35 PM

How do RRP requirements apply to Pressure Washing?

From the EPA’s Website at http://toxics.custhelp.com/

Question: How do RRP requirements apply to pressure washing? What containment and other preparation are required?

Answer: Pressure washing is not a prohibited practice under the RRP Rule. Pressure washing is subject to the same containment requirements as other permissible work practices. Before beginning the renovation, the firm must isolate the work area so that no dust or debris (including in the waste water) leaves the work area while the renovation is being performed. In addition, the firm must maintain the integrity of the containment by ensuring that any plastic or other impermeable materials are not torn or displaced and taking any other steps necessary to ensure that no dust or debris leaves the work area while the renovation is being performed. The firm must also ensure that containment is installed in such a manner that it does not interfere with occupant and worker egress in an emergency.

In addition, it is important to properly dispose of waste water used during pressure washing. Check with your local water treatment authority for more information.

During exterior power washing, instead of plastic, can landscaping fabric or a similar material be used to capture any paint chips or other debris, but permit the water to seep through?

Answer: No. For exterior renovations, before beginning the renovation the renovation firm must cover the ground with taped-down plastic sheeting or other impermeable material in the work area 10 feet beyond the perimeter of surfaces undergoing renovation or a sufficient distance to collect falling paint debris, whichever is greater. Landscaping fabric is not an impermeable material.

Robert M. Hinderliter
Delux Cleaning Supply, Fort Worth, TX
www.dcs1.com, [email protected]
Direct Line: 800-211-0286, Cell: 817-366-3041
post #7 of Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Hinderliter View Post
From the EPA’s Website at http://toxics.custhelp.com/

Question: How do RRP requirements apply to pressure washing? What containment and other preparation are required?

Answer: Pressure washing is not a prohibited practice under the RRP Rule. Pressure washing is subject to the same containment requirements as other permissible work practices. Before beginning the renovation, the firm must isolate the work area so that no dust or debris (including in the waste water) leaves the work area while the renovation is being performed. In addition, the firm must maintain the integrity of the containment by ensuring that any plastic or other impermeable materials are not torn or displaced and taking any other steps necessary to ensure that no dust or debris leaves the work area while the renovation is being performed. The firm must also ensure that containment is installed in such a manner that it does not interfere with occupant and worker egress in an emergency.

In addition, it is important to properly dispose of waste water used during pressure washing. Check with your local water treatment authority for more information.

During exterior power washing, instead of plastic, can landscaping fabric or a similar material be used to capture any paint chips or other debris, but permit the water to seep through?

Answer: No. For exterior renovations, before beginning the renovation the renovation firm must cover the ground with taped-down plastic sheeting or other impermeable material in the work area 10 feet beyond the perimeter of surfaces undergoing renovation or a sufficient distance to collect falling paint debris, whichever is greater. Landscaping fabric is not an impermeable material.

Thats great Info Robert, I have a friend in IOWA who is Roof cleaning & pressure washing Roofs
post #8 of Old 02-15-2012, 01:28 AM

Read about the truths about the EPA and National Associations http://www.propowerwash.com/board/up...gion6-6en-w-pw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode