Still Alive and Kicking - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 11-14-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Still Alive and Kicking

Hey all, long time since I logged on here (January to be specific). Hope business is going well for everyone!

Personally, I can't believe my company has survived this long. I own a small Janitorial/Pressure Washing company here in Baltimore MD where things (mainly on the PW side of things) have been pretty slow. Slow to the tune of not getting any work at all sense last spring. Well, to be honest, I have not been able to aggressively go after any PW work, due to physically working all of my janitorial work. Reason for that? My ex-partner bailed on me and the company about 9 months ago, leaving me to keep the company alive. Yay!

So, here I am, still working these residential/commercial janitorial customers when along comes this great big ol' commercial janitorial account worth an additional 35k a year. Hmm... with me working this thing by myself for 3 months, I could come up with about 9k to buy myself a fairly decent hot water pressure washing rig, so I can actually go after the only work I even started this company for in the first place... commercial pressure washing contracts.

I cannot even describe the sacrifices I have to endure to even survive this long. Well, maybe I can. I moved out of my house and moved onto a houseboat (cheapest possible living arrangement I could think of), scrimped on those little things that ya don't really need (like food/clothing/etc), and basically got up and worked myself silly every day. I guess in hindsight, maybe it was a good thing that I had to fire 10 people (not at the same time, over the coarse of a year, and for things like not showing up to work, doing a half a** job, bad attitude, etc), and just did the work myself. Really, I don't b**tch about any of this. I am a hard headed SOB and would not give up. Now, FINALLY I land something worth a few bucks and have every intention to funnel most (if not all) of that extra money from that big new commercial account, to make something big happen.

What are my intentions, when I finally do get that hot water PW rig? Well, over the course of the last few months, I have had to actually TURN DOWN large scale commercial jobs (Like a large government welcome center in MD, a chain of Dairy Queens, and some other assorted big money contracts), simply because I didn't have the artillery to handle something like that. My loss, and I'm sure someone else's huge gain (that makes me wanna puke).

That's ok. I will stick to my guns and the battle plan in my head and eventually have what I need to go after the coveted PW contracts (that, like I said, was the only reason I even put this company together, almost two years ago.)

*Whew*..... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tom Carter
[email protected]
www.ultrabrite.net
A veteran owned company
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: I managed to get a really nice Hot Water Pressure Washer. Woohoo! Its winterized and just chomping at the bit to work this Spring. Additionally, I discovered that the janitorial end of my business was just not lucrative enough. I gave that the ax, and moved on. I ended up adding carpet cleaning to the service list, and now that seems to be what brings in the most money. I bought a portable Mytee 1003 DX (3-phase vac, 12 gal capacity, 212 degrees of heat at the wand) for about 3k and added a new Rotovac Powerwand to the mix. Beyond that, I had my old (crappy) website torn down, and had a new one built. Its a wordpress, so I know exactly how much traffic is coming in (a LOT). I handle all of my own SEO, which is why I have so much traffic.

I guess things really are looking up! Yay!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode