Which would you buy? - Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum

post #1 of Old 07-19-2006, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Which would you buy?

My wife has given me the go ahead to buy some equipment and I am having a hard time deciding.

Background: First by letting me say that I will be insured and licensed as well as full health insurance. Currently I have a Honda SUV with a small towing capacity so tow weight is a factor until I can prove to my family that this is viable and get a truck with some grunt.

Goal is houses and roofs to start so hot water is not absolutely needed although it would be nice but to keep towing weight down I am only looking at a cold water setup right now.

First choice: Local dealer and chemical guy who is very nice and very helpful with my questions says he can build me a trailer as follows.
4000lb trailer with 13 HP Honda with belt drive CAT pump. 3500 psi/ 4 GPM. 225 gallon tank. Hose reel. 100feet of hose and tips, filters etc. x-Jet. $3900.

Now I know I would never have that tank in use until I got a truck it would look more professional even if I was just using a garden hose direct to the pump.
The dealer is really the only guy around here and I would like to give him the business if I can.

Second choice: Knowing that GPM is a timesaver I have been looking at the machines from WaterResearch like this one on Ebay.
http://tinyurl.com/qwrrl
I see some real pluses and minuses with this unit. On the plus side the trailer is quite small and will take up little space in the garage. It has two engines so if one goes down you still have one to finish a job at 4GPM. At 8GPM you can really rinse fast. If I ever got a helper I could convert it to two lines easily. Float tank is small enough that towing it full won't be a problem and with two hose inlets and some careful timing of movement of equipment it should prove adequate. Everyone around here is on town water with good pressure.

Minuses include. No real room on trailer for extra hose, traffic safety cones or chemicals. Thought I could have someone weld a shelf that sits above whole unit for hoses and cones and put one chemical rack on the front near the tounge.
$3500 shipped.

Would appreciate the advice of you more experienced people on what you think a good first trailer rig might be.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 07-19-2006, 04:22 PM

post #3 of Old 07-19-2006, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Thad. I did read that thread and found it to be informative. I started this thread to discuss the differences between the two setups I described. The objections in the original thread, while valid for some, did not seem to deter me from wanting more GPM and I couldn't find any 8GPM pumps with engine combos that could come close to this price.
My dealer said he can get an 8GPM pump but the cost of it with engine would be higher than what I would want to spend. I guess I need to look around more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of Old 07-19-2006, 04:52 PM

My advice would be to buy local if at all possible. You will need repairs and it always seems like it's easier and faster to get something fixed if you bought it where it's being repaired.

I asked the WaterResearch guy where your chem tanks go on the trailer. He said it would be best to put your chems in a 5 gallon bucket in the back of your truck and set it on the ground by the machine when you got ready to wash.
post #5 of Old 07-19-2006, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

That is good advice. I really like the guy who is the dealer here. He makes all his own chems as well and sells 55gal drums of hypochlorite for $116. Even if I didn't buy from him I was going to get hoses, surface cleaner and chems from him. He has been doing it 28 years and other people say "there isn't anything that he doesn't know how to clean".

As for pumps and gpm what kind of rig do you run and what kind of gpm do you feel is adequate for house and roof work?

Thanks again.

Keth
post #6 of Old 07-19-2006, 05:07 PM

Roof guys?

I wish there was a guy like that around here. The only PW shop here is, well, not exactly like that.

PWing has been less that 25% of my business and I've been using a 4 GPM belt drive portable. I'm thinking seriously of pushing the PW thing a lot harder and will step up to at least 5GPM.

As far as roofs go, this is what I've come upwith so far after lots of help and advice from others- Get a Shurflo setup if you have walkable roofs, and a John Blue setup (lot bigger $$) if you need to shoot from the ground.

Maybe Don or one of the other FL guys will chime in here...
post #7 of Old 07-19-2006, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Thad for the good advice. It is appreciated. I am going to ask waterresearch for some info on getting this basic setup with a slightly bigger trailer and will see if his quote is in my budget. If I get it I will give the local guy the business for all the add-ons. At this point only the trailer size and lack of belt driven pumps are my big objections.

As for roofs I won't be offering it till I am getting a helper to work the rinsing from the ground. This will take some time. Baby steps.

Cheers,
Keth
post #8 of Old 07-21-2006, 08:08 AM
WEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keth View Post
My wife has given me the go ahead to buy some equipment and I am having a hard time deciding.

Background: First by letting me say that I will be insured and licensed as well as full health insurance. Currently I have a Honda SUV with a small towing capacity so tow weight is a factor until I can prove to my family that this is viable and get a truck with some grunt.

Goal is houses and roofs to start so hot water is not absolutely needed although it would be nice but to keep towing weight down I am only looking at a cold water setup right now.

First choice: Local dealer and chemical guy who is very nice and very helpful with my questions says he can build me a trailer as follows.
4000lb trailer with 13 HP Honda with belt drive CAT pump. 3500 psi/ 4 GPM. 225 gallon tank. Hose reel. 100feet of hose and tips, filters etc. x-Jet. $3900.

Now I know I would never have that tank in use until I got a truck it would look more professional even if I was just using a garden hose direct to the pump.
The dealer is really the only guy around here and I would like to give him the business if I can.

Second choice: Knowing that GPM is a timesaver I have been looking at the machines from WaterResearch like this one on Ebay.
http://tinyurl.com/qwrrl
I see some real pluses and minuses with this unit. On the plus side the trailer is quite small and will take up little space in the garage. It has two engines so if one goes down you still have one to finish a job at 4GPM. At 8GPM you can really rinse fast. If I ever got a helper I could convert it to two lines easily. Float tank is small enough that towing it full won't be a problem and with two hose inlets and some careful timing of movement of equipment it should prove adequate. Everyone around here is on town water with good pressure.

Minuses include. No real room on trailer for extra hose, traffic safety cones or chemicals. Thought I could have someone weld a shelf that sits above whole unit for hoses and cones and put one chemical rack on the front near the tounge.
$3500 shipped.

Would appreciate the advice of you more experienced people on what you think a good first trailer rig might be.

Thanks.
Thad, talk to Don Phelps before you buy.Oh yeah, and get you an XJet. It will be the most valuable piece of equipment on your rig!

Last edited by WEW; 07-21-2006 at 08:23 AM.
post #9 of Old 07-21-2006, 09:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to russ s Send a message via Yahoo to russ s
post #10 of Old 07-21-2006, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEW View Post
Thad, talk to Don Phelps before you buy.Oh yeah, and get you an XJet. It will be the most valuable piece of equipment on your rig!

X-jet is on the list! Thanks.
post #11 of Old 07-23-2006, 01:01 PM
WEW

Quote:
X-jet is on the list! Thanks.
Here's the link for your best price at the moment. www.pressuretek.com/index.html
post #12 of Old 07-23-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEW View Post
Here's the link for your best price at the moment. www.pressuretek.com/index.html
I've started to see some google ads for PressureTek on this site. I think they are starting to target us with their ads which is always a good thing

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
post #13 of Old 07-23-2006, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I've started to see some google ads for PressureTek on this site. I think they are starting to target us with their ads which is always a good thing
Nathan you have the owner of Pressure Tek as a member here on the site Robert Williamson.

Shane Brasseaux
Wood Savers of Texas
"We Beat the Weathering Problem"
post #14 of Old 07-23-2006, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsavers Of Texas View Post
Nathan you have the owner of Pressure Tek as a member here on the site Robert Williamson.
LOL, shows you how much I know

Robert... thanks helping support this site through your Google ad.

Nathan

Have you registered yet? Its quick, easy, and FREE!
post #15 of Old 07-23-2006, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. Anyone know if the M5 X-Jet shoots as high as the original or is there some dropoff in height with the new adjustable nozzle? Anyone tested this?

Thanks,
Keth
post #16 of Old 07-23-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
LOL, shows you how much I know

Robert... thanks helping support this site through your Google ad.
I ordered some Simple Cherry from him and told him about this site.
post #17 of Old 07-23-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Anyone know if the M5 X-Jet shoots as high as the original or is there some dropoff in height with the new adjustable nozzle?
There seems to be slightly less distance with the M-5 (my experience, anyway) but the difference is negligible for the most part since most contractors carry a few different lances in varying lengths, which will compensate for the distance loss.

All Seasons Exteriors, Inc. Professional Roof Cleaning
Orlando, FL (407) 579-4026 or Toll Free (877) 837-9705
post #18 of Old 07-23-2006, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Don! I will pick up a 72" lance as well since some research indicates the M5 shoots about 5 feet shorter than the original.
post #19 of Old 07-24-2006, 09:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to russ s Send a message via Yahoo to russ s
i love the m5 the adjustable spray pattern is a great feature
post #20 of Old 07-25-2006, 03:54 PM

Thad, That's why I checked out. I'm glad I did!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cleaning Talk - Professional Cleaning and Restoration Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode